Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Old Apr 16, 2009, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Does anybody has experience in exceeding the allowed 200K points limit (per calendar year) on PP Elite cards? Do the points roll over to ther next calendar year or are they lost? Also does it matter if the exceeded points are purchase or flight points?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gv111
So how exactly do you know of a schedule change? Does the airline send you an email or do you have to just keep checking yourself?
In my experience, if the schedule change is big enough to allow a no-fee cancellation, I get a phone call from United's automated system.

I'm used to getting those calls...I have the number programmed into my phone as the "Your Flight is F&#*ed" number. @:-)

For a no-fee change, I imagine the rules vary by airline. I've read here on FT different things: a 90-minute or greater delay in reaching your destination, or an involuntary reroute that would force you to leave earlier.

In other words, a 10-minute change won't instantly make you qualify...unless that 10 minutes happens to invalidate a connection that then delays your reaching your final destination.

The other way to get the $150 waived is for the airline to waste two hours of your time while they jack around trying to figure out how to process the change. Long story...already posted elsewhere...it involved a physical trip to the airport and several phone calls, but the airport agent felt enough pity for me to not deduct the $150 when I changed the ticket.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 2:53 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Does anybody has experience in exceeding the allowed 200K points limit (per calendar year) on PP Elite cards? Do the points roll over to ther next calendar year or are they lost? Also does it matter if the exceeded points are purchase or flight points?
My experience - flight points carry over and purchase points do not.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 6:54 pm

For those that have worked with an AA ticket, thoughts concerning doing it over the phone vs. doing it at a ticket counter/office?

Form what I understand:

- Over the phone, I won't be charged the ticket purchase fee, but will have to take the risk of a sizable voucher being sent through the mail.

- At a ticket counter/office, I will be charged the purchase fee, but will get a physical voucher right away.

Any recommendations?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:07 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by stupenal
Change fees were deducted from the total value of the ticket. Only out of pocket was the original tax I paid (which was refunded in the voucher).
Thanks for the reply.

LAX
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rbessler
For those that have worked with an AA ticket, thoughts concerning doing it over the phone vs. doing it at a ticket counter/office?

Form what I understand:

- Over the phone, I won't be charged the ticket purchase fee, but will have to take the risk of a sizable voucher being sent through the mail.

- At a ticket counter/office, I will be charged the purchase fee, but will get a physical voucher right away.

Any recommendations?
That's correct from the voucher point of view. I don't know what the differences in phone/airport fees are for AA Plats.

In general, I would be fine with them sending the voucher as long as you don't have immediate plans to drain the residual in the next two weeks. In my experience using vouchers, it's redemption-time that I get more concerned. On that next ticket you buy, you'll probably want to go to the airport with it. I don't know if the combination of your status and the "There's no way to do this all online" argument will get you out of fees.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbessler

Form what I understand:

Any recommendations?
AA does not charge you the ticketing fee when you have to pay the change fee. At least that is my experience. I changed my ticket at city travel center, the agent only charged the $150 change fee. I asked, she said only the highest fee applied. The same has been verified by several posters on AA forum in the past. You may be able to find the posts using search.

Also, AA does not charge the ticketing fee the next time you use the residual voucher for another ticket. I just did this 3 weeks ago.

Besides, the maximum ticketing fee you would incur, if that is the case, would be $20 for the first ticket, given the second ticket would be from the residual voucher, no ticketing fee if the OC voucher is the payment form.

Therefore, all you lose, is your time. I certainly would ticket at the counter if my residual voucher would worth couple thousand bucks, as you already know, if the voucher is lost in mail, it is LOST. The voucher is just like CASH - if AA said it issued it, mailed it, but you haven't received it - too bad.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:26 am

OK -- so I'm getting ready to rebook my TYN flight (which is scheduled on Delta for Jan 2010) to book flights for me and my wife to Spain. It is my understanding that I need to do the following:

1) Call Delta and have them cancel the TYN flight and rebook myself on the new flight to spain. My understanding is this will satisfy the requirement that the first rebooking be under the same name as the original TYN flight (yes?). After rebooking, it will leave about $1000 in a Delta eCredit.

2) Then tell them I want to use the remaining funds from the generated eCredit number to book the same flight for my wife.

I'm thinking if I get a decent customer service agent, I can probably just tell them what I want to do, rather than making it a two step process, yes? Or is it safer to just worry about rebooking myself first, and then tell them about my wife after the fact?

Sorry if this is a pretty basic question -- I just don't want to do something to screw up my TYN credit. Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:49 am

I would tell the agent from the beginning what you want to do. It may not make any difference in terms of amount of work for the agent but at least you will be giving them the courtesy of proceeding as best fits their set of necessary steps. I see no advantage in not telling the agent initially. I have done this several times and sometimes the agent has said "I need to handle these as separate transactions so let's take one at a time." On other occasions I've had the agent say "OK, let me figure out the easiest way to do all of this." The response will depend on the experience and competence of the agent. Some will see it as a major task they've not handled before and some will have been through it many times and see it as a pro forma exercise. You stating everything up front indicates your willingness to go through the process by whatever means necessary per the wishes of the agent. Of course, if they give you problems about what you know is the legitimate process of canceling and using the credits as you wish, then get nasty!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:58 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by upgrader
Of course, if they give you problems about what you know is the legitimate process of canceling and using the credits as you wish, then get nasty!
Or just say you have another call and need to call them back later to do the transaction (i.e., hang up and call back).
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
If your ticket was booked to Mexico, perhaps now is the time to rebook.

Apparently a few airlines are waiving the cancellation and change fee's for flights to Mexico in light of the swine flu. Since I have to drop my mother in law off at LAX this coming weekend, I might swing by the AA ticket counter and cancel my 'flight' to GDL that's in December. Obviously still have to be certain they don't decide to refund the ticket as a 'courtesy' or something.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Apparently a few airlines are waiving the cancellation and change fee's for flights to Mexico in light of the swine flu. Since I have to drop my mother in law off at LAX this coming weekend, I might swing by the AA ticket counter and cancel my 'flight' to GDL that's in December. Obviously still have to be certain they don't decide to refund the ticket as a 'courtesy' or something.
I'm not sure if you'll be able to cancel a flight that's in December - the AA page is a bit unclear (regarding when tickets can be refunded), but it's only waiving change fees to tickets that take place from Apr. 25 - May 6.

However, it does say that nonrefundable fares will be refunded in the form of a travel voucher, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

http://www.aa.com/aa/viewPromotionDe...oryId=16018133
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Ah... hadn't seen AA's official policy on it.

Yeah, it seems pretty clear, May 6th is the cut off. Obviously they're doing this on a week by week type of basis.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Does anybody know an ultra cheap throwaway fare on Delta? I need to get an e-credit on Delta and need to book something (which I may not travel). Cheapest I could find yet is a one way fare of $45 between Memphis and Atlanta. Thanks in advance.
Old May 6, 2009, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Does anybody know an ultra cheap throwaway fare on Delta? I need to get an e-credit on Delta and need to book something (which I may not travel). Cheapest I could find yet is a one way fare of $45 between Memphis and Atlanta. Thanks in advance.
I am also looking for cheap throwaway fares on CO and AA. If you guys have any good suggestion, please chip in. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.