Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying CITI bank card bill with CASH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Paying CITI bank card bill with CASH

sometimes i pay my citi card bill in a bank branch. would they have a problem with me paying my bill in cash?
I know Amex does not want you to pay your bill at a travel location in cash (unless it is under $1,000).

is there a downside if i pay with cash, I would hold on to the receipt in case there was a posting error since i would not have a canceled check as proof of payment.

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
You can pay your Citi credit card in cash at any branch, there is no $1000 cash limit like at American Express. If you pay more than $10000 cash, it gets reported as do all cash transactions over that amount.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:38 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I had the same question and found this old thread through search.

Is the information in this thread still accurate?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
I had the same question and found this old thread through search.

Is the information in this thread still accurate?
What payments must be reported?
A business must file Form 8300 to report cash paid to it if the cash payment is:

Over $10,000,
Received as:
One lump sum of over $10,000,
Two or more related payments that total in excess of $10,000, or
Payments received as part of a single transaction (or two or more related transactions) that cause the total cash received within a 12-month period to total more than $10,000.
Received in the course of trade or business,
Received from the same payer (or agent), and
Received in a single transaction or in two or more related transactions.
What is the definition of a transaction?
A transaction is the underlying event resulting in the transfer of cash. Examples include:

Sale of goods, services or real or intangible property
Rental of goods or real or personal property
Cash exchanged for other cash
Establishment, maintenance of or contribution to a trust or escrow account
A loan repayment
Conversion of cash to a negotiable instrument such as a check or a bond
to my knowledge yes, http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-...0000-Form-8300
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by dh01
You can pay your Citi credit card in cash at any branch, there is no $1000 cash limit like at American Express. If you pay more than $10000 cash, it gets reported as do all cash transactions over that amount.
In the past there were reports of AA for multiple cash payments on FW YMMV.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
I walk into citi once a month to pay $4k cash in a lump sum with no problems.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by indelible
I walk into citi once a month to pay $4k cash in a lump sum with no problems.
Pay or deposit $4,000?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
Pay or deposit $4,000?
Pay
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:19 pm

update: went to pay $1200 today, the cashier said they require name, social, occupation, and ID now for any cash payments for credit card payments at the teller. she had me fill out a little slip with this information, which she handed back to me after entering it into the computer. she said they started this 2 weeks ago and it is in effect at all branches.

however, she said cash payments at the ATM (which i didnt know you could do) as well as check payments at the teller are not subject to this type of verification.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Yes, you can pay citi card bills with cash using a citi ATM, just like depositing to the citi checking account, with two caveats:

1. You must have a cash advance PIN set for the card in order to use the ATM
2. Your payment amount must be equal or below the current owe balance (no overpayment). This does not include pending transactions
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by indelible
update: went to pay $1200 today, the cashier said they require name, social, occupation, and ID now for any cash payments for credit card payments at the teller. she had me fill out a little slip with this information, which she handed back to me after entering it into the computer. she said they started this 2 weeks ago and it is in effect at all branches.

however, she said cash payments at the ATM (which i didnt know you could do) as well as check payments at the teller are not subject to this type of verification.
Wow, for only $1200? That's incredible... Feds are really trying hard to catch every little dime they can huh? Thanks for the tip.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Does this apply to MOs too? I usually pay it with MOs when in branch because I have no limit left in Red Bird.

Haven t paid in 3 weeks. But currently working on an Exec AA that will need MOs from VGCs
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I use the ATM to pay Citi cards quite frequently. It's one of those things I wish I'd figured out sooner, as the lines in the local branches are quite long.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by ehchan
Wow, for only $1200? That's incredible... Feds are really trying hard to catch every little dime they can huh? Thanks for the tip.
It maybe a Citi thing to cut down on MS'ers? I haven't seen any other thread on Chase or Other that anyone else is doing this.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:04 pm

So what does this mean exactly?

Same thing happened to me today. Paid $3000 towards my credit card from a few cash jobs I did. Was asked for ID, phone number, and what I do for work? I've been a Citi card holder since 1990 and have paid off my balance when oportunities like this arrise. So what is the logic and reason behind this from the banks perspective? The concern here and I'm sure I'm not alone, will this generate some kind of red flag with the IRS? Or is this simply some new level of security for the bank, as they put it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.