Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thank You points for Intl Flts

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2008, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank You points for Intl Flts

I have been occasionally using Citi Premier Pass card for domestic flight ticket purchases and the flight points have always posted consistently at the end of the following month's statement end date. Also, I have used the same CC to make snack purchases on board and flight points have also been received for those transactions. However, I made a snack purchase on an intl flight and the flight points did not post.

Now, I am getting ready to buy 3 intl trip tickets worth $4K and I am concerned as to whether I will get flight points. Has anybody used the PP card for intl trips and successfully receive flight points.

Secondly, since I have accumulated approx 70K purchase / bonus point already I was wondering if I upgrade my card to PP elite and then make these purchases will I still be able to match the flight points with accumulated purchase points or the purchase balance will be reset to 0 once I upgrade the card to PP elite.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
I purchased int'l tix w/ miles and used the PP non-elite card to pay the nominal fee in addition to the miles, and received all of the flight points. Have never used it for snacks on board though. I have used it to upgrade to another class of service on the day of the flight and did NOT get flight miles for that.
Old May 5, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by svasandani
Now, I am getting ready to buy 3 intl trip tickets worth $4K and I am concerned as to whether I will get flight points. Has anybody used the PP card for intl trips and successfully receive flight points.
you should get the points as it's defined in the terms. often for international flights the points are not automatically posted when the airport names not transmitted to the credit card correctly, then you need to fax in some proof such as boarding passes to get the points credited.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by mingw
you should get the points as it's defined in the terms. often for international flights the points are not automatically posted when the airport names not transmitted to the credit card correctly, then you need to fax in some proof such as boarding passes to get the points credited.
or there are extra segments...

you points will carry over to the next yr till you have enough purchase points to match. they will also carry if you upgrade the card.
Old May 5, 2008, 12:19 pm

You should, even it may not be posted automatically. I fly UA and they always post airports pair. 3 of my SFO-PVG posted automatically and I need to call for other 5. It took ~10 min to solve. not big deal.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anaggie
or there are extra segments...

you points will carry over to the next yr till you have enough purchase points to match. they will also carry if you upgrade the card.
Thanks for all the info. I already have enough purchase points to cover the new flight points I will get from this intl trip. However one more question has come up:

I was planning on upgrading to Amex version of the PP elite which will definitely result in a number change. Is that a problem? The reason I wanted Amex was because I can later use it on the company travel site which only accepts AMEX.
Old May 6, 2008, 3:44 pm

If I am not able to purchase the ticket on my PP Elite card--due to travel agent force or other circumstances, am I to understand that you can purchase something in fight and receive flight points for the full mileage?
Old May 11, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I don't know about purchasing something in flight, but I received full flight points when I charged a one way international upgrade fee (I used mileage, plus I had to pay a fee) to my PPE, which amounted to over 5,000 flight points; it was pretty cool! I think when an airline bills your PP or PPE card and posts the departure and arrival airport you will receive flight points for that charge.
Old May 11, 2008, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

The purchase of snacks using PP or PPE card during flight is definitely an unintended benefit and the reason i didn't get it for an intl flight is because I noticed that the orig and departure airport codes were not automatically posted for that flight whereas every domestic flight had the city pair list on the CC line item. So if you don't get it you really can't complain.

My question however is if I upgrade my card to Amex version of the elite card which will definitely result in a number change will I still be able to match flight points against purchase/bonus points I have already earned. I have close to 50K banked purchase/bonus points that are still unmatched with flight points. If I am able to upgrade and match 2 16k miles RT tickets against these points it would be a huge gain for me. The reason I want to switch to AMEX version is because then I can use this card to buy corporate travel tickets to cover the remaining 18K unmatched points.

Old May 12, 2008, 3:20 pm

I believe that your thank you network account number stays the same, so you can have flight points matched to the banked purchase points. Just make sure to enter your new Citi Amex card number on thankyou.com as a sponsor account. I may be wrong about this, so you can ask the rep. you speak to and they should be able to help you.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by friedablass
I believe that your thank you network account number stays the same, so you can have flight points matched to the banked purchase points. Just make sure to enter your new Citi Amex card number on thankyou.com as a sponsor account. I may be wrong about this, so you can ask the rep. you speak to and they should be able to help you.
the point matching is done at card level. so more likely the flight points on the new card, won't get transfered if the new card doesn't have enough purchase/bonus points.

better call them and ask whether they can carry the old points over to the new card for matching purpose.
Old May 13, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Sounds like you are not really "upgrading" your account, you are getting a second different account. It will start with a seperate Thank You account number. One phone call to 1-800-842-6596 , and customer service will merge the accounts for you. I have done this.
As long as both accounts are in the same name.
Old May 19, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I have been occasionally using Citi Premier Pass card for domestic flight ticket purchases and the flight points have always posted consistently at the end of the following month's statement end date. Also, I have used the same CC to make snack purchases on board and flight points have also been received for those transactions. However, I made a snack purchase on an intl flight and the flight points did not post.

Secondly, since I have accumulated approx 70K purchase / bonus point already I was wondering if I upgrade my card to PP elite and then make these purchases will I still be able to match the flight points with accumulated purchase points or the purchase balance will be reset to 0 once I upgrade the card to PP elite.

If you upgrade from PP to PPE, your flight points will be preserved (also the reverse is true, as I did recently). However.. be wary and call up Citibank. They started only transfering flight points at the rate you spend, and then the rest of the flight points carry over. So if you think 3x 10,000 mile tickets for $500 each will yield 31500 ThY... that's not the way it works from what they've told me. Instead, you'll get 3000 ThY ($1500x2), with the rest of the flight points waiting for when you spend another $28500. If you don't spend that $28500, then those points will sit unusable.

Forum, please correct me if I am wrong! I've got 60k flight points that I'm waiting to come over...
Old May 19, 2008, 5:32 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by beachmiles
Sounds like you are not really "upgrading" your account, you are getting a second different account. It will start with a seperate Thank You account number. One phone call to 1-800-842-6596 , and customer service will merge the accounts for you. I have done this.
As long as both accounts are in the same name.
You can "upgrade" your account with getting a separate Thank You acct # - I have done it (it was by invitation, but you can do it by calling customer service as well). I was upgraded in the middle of a billing cycle and all purchases were listed on the same bill as the card # stayed the same. The airline tickets purchased b/4 the upgrade received 1 point for every 3 miles and those purchased after the upgrade got 1 point per mile.

As far as your spending points matching your flight points, that is definitely true. Bonus points and select spend points (for purchases in special categories: supermarket, drugstore, gas station, postal service, commuter parking you receive 2x points with PPE) count as purchase points and CAN also be matched with flight points. The cap on TYP for PPE is 200,000 points per year, only 100k of which may be flight points - those flight points can add up pretty fast when flying internationally. So after you reached 100k flight points, you need to spend $100k and then you can stop using that card, since you won't get anything anymore for it!
Old May 19, 2008, 11:03 pm

Is there any problem with getting more than one TY card and linking them to your TY account to double or triple the 200k cap?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.