Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA bonuses not posting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Citi AA bonuses not posting

Has anyone else been having problems getting the bonuses to post to their AA account on new cards? I have a couple cards that have had the spending promptly post to my AAccount. My Citi statement shows the spending AND the signup bonus as reported to AA, but AA only shows the spending. I am missing over 100k+ now from both my wife and I. When I call Citi they say they gave the miles to AA and AA says they never got the miles from Citi. AA supposedly is opening an investigation ove a month ago now. Citi T&C states it could take up to 8-10 weeks for the miles to post, but they have always been immediate. Seeing I am missing multiple bonuses, something is wrong. Miles are missing from current $250 and $750 Plat Select MC applications.

Jim
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Has anyone else been having problems getting the bonuses to post to their AA account on new cards? I have a couple cards that have had the spending promptly post to my AAccount. My Citi statement shows the spending AND the signup bonus as reported to AA, but AA only shows the spending. I am missing over 100k+ now from both my wife and I. When I call Citi they say they gave the miles to AA and AA says they never got the miles from Citi. AA supposedly is opening an investigation ove a month ago now. Citi T&C states it could take up to 8-10 weeks for the miles to post, but they have always been immediate. Seeing I am missing multiple bonuses, something is wrong. Miles are missing from current $250 and $750 Plat Select MC applications.

Jim
No such problems here... I just got 25k from a new Amex card and 10k for the 10k spend bonus on my MC business card...

Here's the interesting twist, citibank closed all my credit cards for "too many inquires"... Yet, the statements still cycle and my bonuses all still posted... How "kind" of them...

I read about someone else having problems with the bonuses posting separately, but from what I remember, they ended up posting a few days or a week later...
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA 1MM

Jim
Sorry to hear that. Mine will close on 26th this month and I will report if I have the same problem as you. If mine fails to post, then it's likely to be a system wide problem, and nothing we can do. If mine posts, then your problem is idiosyncratic and hopefully yours will post after some time as well.

If not, complaining on the phone usually goes nowhere and I would write a letter to citi. That's much more effective than talking on the phone and the people who get the letters are equipped to do more things than the phone CSRs.

If it fails again, then I will give up. It's not worthwhile to toil on 25K miles.

Twice I have had posting problem with TYP and each time I wrote a two sentence letter. For one, it got fixed with no follow up. For the other, I got a call from TYP and she asked me to talk to citi. I said OK TY and didn't bother.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Jim -

i've had bonuses from those accounts post w/o problem, as recently as a week ago.

hope everything works out. i'd be interested to hear how things shake down
Old Feb 20, 2008, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
I am actually missing about 140k. Citi and AA are obligated to post them since I fulfilled my part of the qualification by spending the $$ required for the bonus. The Citi statments actually state the miles were reported to AA and I cant imagine AA having any reason to delay their posting. I am wondering if somehow they put me on the 8-10 week posting deal. For me, it looks like a speedbump and I will just have to figure out how to drive really fast right over it.

Jim
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
I am actually missing about 140k. Citi and AA are obligated to post them since I fulfilled my part of the qualification by spending the $$ required for the bonus. . .

Jim
I hope you get your miles and Citi continues to allow churning, but they have every right to look at your situation (as you have described in previous posts) and say that you do not meet the requirement of being a "new Citi / AAdvantage account[holder]."

Chase used to allow churning and cut-off the free ride in the last year or two. Have you ever considered that the same might be occurring at Citi? And if not globally, on your account specifically because you have been pushing the envelope?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by technique
citibank closed all my credit cards for "too many inquires"...
How many inquiries are we talking about here? Did you have otherwise good credit and at least one account with Citi that you use on a regular basis other than just for churning?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This same problem has just happened to me on an AA Citi Visa Business. I charged the $250 in a month, and my credit card statement says I earned 250 miles for spending plus the 20,000 sign-on bonus. But, so far, only the 250 miles have popped up on my AAdvantage account.

FWIW, I'm a "casual" churner -- a couple of biz cards and a couple of personal cards a year.

I really don't want to call, but I obviously want my 20,000 mile bonus. Seems odd that Citi seems happy to give it to me, but it doesn't post on AA. As the OP stated, the bonus has always appeared with the spending miles.

I sure hope this isn't the "end of the road" for this excellent mileage earning opportunity.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 7:07 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
I have had similar problems. I just continued calling and emailing with documentation until they posted. Eventually CITI gave me the miles. You mentioned AA is opening an investigation, but I would have CITI open one as well. I always have both sides do an investigation when they don't post. Many times they just get 'lost' in the middle. Good luck. I am moving in 9 months (thus new mortgage) so I just stopped churning.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should I wait a few weeks, or complain now? As the OP notes, the sign-up bonus has always been awarded immediately, along with the regular spending miles. I just got the spending miles a week or two ago.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 8:59 am

I would suggest doing everything online, it is much easier and less error-prone. With citi and chase you can easily add multiple cards to one user ID.

I have never missed a bonus. Except once a fidelity 15k bonus did not post, but that was due to an error on my part! This may not be your smoking gun, but maybe it is?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
How many inquiries are we talking about here? Did you have otherwise good credit and at least one account with Citi that you use on a regular basis other than just for churning?
On equifax, the bureau that citi uses, I had 9 recent inquires, 8 of them were citibank inquires.

My credit score is between 780-820 depending on the bureau.

Yes, I had one citi credit card I used on a regular basis... In total, I had 3-4 citi cards at any given time, with my "main" card being one used for daily spending for the past 10+ years...

So beware, if they shut me down, it seems they can shut anyone down... Since I was a loyal customer for 10+ years with a high credit score and zero derogatory marks except for the recent # of high inquires...
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:09 am

Doing even a rudamentary search in this forum will show you the many Citibank AA threads that exist on this very topic. Every years Citi changes their AA award structure for new offers, and like clockwork, every year another thread (or 12) pop up with this issue.

And FYI - Citi is notorious not giving the promised bonuses without ALOT of prodding. To those that didn't have to do much of that, congrats - you're in the minority. A little advice to the OP - when you call Citi - ask for a supervisor. They're the only ones that have full, unabated access to your account signup information. Even if a CSR tells you they do - its a crock. And everything has to be done through Citi, going through AA accomplishes nothing - as they have neither the access to your Citi account, nor your bonus info that undoubtedly has not been sent over from Citi.

Last edited by Ritz; Feb 21, 2008 at 9:56 am
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
I hope you get your miles and Citi continues to allow churning, but they have every right to look at your situation (as you have described in previous posts) and say that you do not meet the requirement of being a "new Citi / AAdvantage account[holder]."

Chase used to allow churning and cut-off the free ride in the last year or two. Have you ever considered that the same might be occurring at Citi? And if not globally, on your account specifically because you have been pushing the envelope?
Not necessarily, my Citi statement shows the bonus miles "reported to AA" and I had fulfilled the requirement of Citi to get the miles so Citi DOES not have the right to withhold these miles. Citi does have the right to deny a new application which would prevent me from getting the cad in the first place. T&C states it could take 8-10 weeks so I am wondering if they are implementing a new delay system for some accounts.

Jim
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

OK, I called Citi and spoke with a supervisor. I asked why my Citi statement showed the miles were sent to AA but AA had not posted them yet. I was reassured that the miles would indeed post. She also told me that a third party is in charge of dispursing the miles as a middleman and this third party was holding them for the 8 weeks as stipulated in the T&C. Seeing that some the first of my missing miles has only elapsed 6 weeks since the statement that says they submitted the miles, I guess I will wait another 2 weeks and see what happens.

So, I wonder if this is a new thing, or just my account is now having this issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.