Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tried to Use Citi / AA Free Companion Ticket...

Tried to Use Citi / AA Free Companion Ticket...

Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Tried to Use Citi / AA Free Companion Ticket...

My wife and I need to be up in Westchester for an evening function this fall. The AA fare (via web site) from IAH to HPN is $310 each person, all taxes included (still much cheaper than CO but that is a different story). $620 total.

I have a free companion ticket good until the end of the year - got it the end of last year when I applied for a Citi / AA credit card. Fare they quoted me was $617 plus the taxes and fees on the 2nd ticket.

So much for a "free" companion fare.

PS: I'm not saying that it is not legal - buried in the fine print it tells you which fare classes are eligible. But it is unethical and does not endear me to their product (which I probably will cancel after my free year)
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Gold/1MM
I got luckier with mine I guess, a couple of months ago.
The price from BOS was roughly $240 a passenger online, for a single stopover but $310 using the companion ticket, which worked out fine there was no stopover plus it was slighly above the $300 fare which is the min. required to use the travel companion certificate.
Luckily, my wife also got miles for her trip too even though citi told me she would not.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 5:38 am

If you search there are many discussions of this. You can save a lot or nothing. Best time to use seems to be for a special event or holiday when the cheap fares are gone. Some receive miles and EQM despite what the T&C read. YMMV.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat., WorldPerks, HH Gold, SPG Gold
The fares have to be greater than 299 before taxes... companion fares can be a pain sometimes.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 6:18 pm

Curious how the ticket was billed. Reason.. we've got 2 certificates and DH needs to go on b-trip... so we "might" be able to use the certificate and have the office "pick up" the tab if each ticket isn't billed for 1/2 fare (know I"m not being clear). Any answers?
Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:57 am
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Curious how the ticket was billed. Reason.. we've got 2 certificates and DH needs to go on b-trip... so we "might" be able to use the certificate and have the office "pick up" the tab if each ticket isn't billed for 1/2 fare (know I"m not being clear). Any answers?
Thanks
I'm pretty sure they are billed 1 full fare and one free fare(put there's taxes and fees on the free fare still). But just call the companion ticketing number and they can tell you for sure. However, the fare for the 1 paid ticket using the companion certificate is sometimes double what you could get buying a ticket if that matters to the company. Also, sometimes you have to go through a particular travel agency or special redemption number to use the companion certificate, which some business travel depts won't do.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS/MVP, *Wood G
Originally Posted by lifeonitsown
The fares have to be greater than 299 before taxes... companion fares can be a pain sometimes.
In my experience, they are usually a PITA.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:01 am

What about booking less than 2 weeks ahead of the flight? I bet they'll say they don't have anymore tickets.

Anyone else got a free companion ticket and care to share what they did?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Citi Free Companion Ticket is impossible to get or very expensive to get. First the fare must be over $299. Then, they decides which fight and route you will take. The two times I tried to use it, they try to route through multiple stops instead of non-stop and total cost for one+one free is only $20.00 less then total cost of two non-stop rt tickets.

I think to use this benefit, you have to be flying to/or from small airports with few options and high air travel costs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.