Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations

Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
To read previous discussion from 2012 - 2023 click HERE.

When do my Thank You points expire?

If you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations

Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
I did the PC 2 days ago, so I guess it's 7 days since then, but it makes no damn sense. Yeah, no choice but to call Citi I guess.
Originally Posted by abcx
I PCed from a Citi Rewards+ to a Citi Double Cash and they changed my credit card number, and even worse, now Thankyou.com is saying my 20k TYP on the Rewards+ are going to expire in 5 days. WTH?

Has anyone been in this situation before? Can Citi fix it or am I best off redeeming for a statement credit or transferring elsewhere?

I hate calling Citi customer service but might have to in this case.
Originally Posted by mia
The phantom expiration is discussed in the previous version of this thread, and in the Wikipost at the top of this thread. Read the section headed: Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?
You were right - the points didn't expire.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:20 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
they wont expire right away. But what card would allow for better redemption? You mean for point transfer?

I have the premiere and it use to be a redemption value of 1.25x on citi travel and thats gone too. So with this new stunt of losing my 975 points per month with checking. Im out. Will close both my checking and savings and close my TY card too. I redeemed all my points deposited to my account. 1:1
Originally Posted by mia
Points earned through banking are called Taxable Points, and they cannot be Transferred to airline or hotel programs. Citi calculates the value of the points for tax purposes when they are redeemed, not when they were earned.
I thought Custom Cash allows "cash" redemption at $0.01 per point. That would be better than the current rate for GC. I don't have enough points to make transferring to airline/hotel useful even if allowed.

LAX
Old May 17, 2024, 3:58 pm

Debating on what I should do with my Premier card. AF just posted and I don't use the card much. I will call for a retention offer but not expecting much. It's currently my only Citi card and oldest card account. I don't have any TYP to worry about after recently transferring them out for future travel plans.

Thinking my best option is downgrading to the Rewards+ card. I do went to get back into Citi in the future and don't want to miss out on any SUBs. I see the Rewards+ as the least likely card I will go for compared to the Double Cash or Custom Cash. I know the best option is probably to apply for the Custom Cash then downgrade to a second Custom Cash but I'm focused on churning Chase Inks for the time being.

If I decide to downgrade, does my line of thinking check out? Is there a better idea or option I am missing?
Old May 20, 2024, 2:51 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Very confused whether I should close the card or product change the card.

I asked the CSR and the CSR told me I have 13,6XX points earned under my Premier acct. The CSR said:

1. If I close the account, I have 90 days to use those points.
2. If I convert the account to something else, those point will follow the new acct rules.

The CSR suggest that I use points first before closing, but how would the system know which points are expiring if I did not actually close the account? From my understanding, they would use the points earned the earliest.

Now the question would be:

1. If I close the Premier and I still have the Prestige, would I still be able to transfer those expire points?
2. If I product change the Premier to something else, would I still be able to transfer those points cause I have the Prestige? ...but then, they wouldn't expire cause the product changed card retain the non-expiration rule, no?
3. If I product change I should do it after the next statement closes cause the points earned in the statement cycle will be under the new product rules?
Old May 25, 2024, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
1. If I close the Premier and I still have the Prestige, would I still be able to transfer those expire points?
2. If I product change the Premier to something else, would I still be able to transfer those points cause I have the Prestige? ...but then, they wouldn't expire cause the product changed card retain the non-expiration rule, no?
3. If I product change I should do it after the next statement closes cause the points earned in the statement cycle will be under the new product rules?
Look at the Wiki atop this thread:

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

It says:

Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

But you have to have the Premier (or its TYP account replacement) and Prestige accounts linked in order to be able to do that.

So I think 2 is the safer of these options, because your points will stay intact and transferable with your Prestige card, and if you don't already them linked, you'll have plenty of time to link them.

I don't know offhand if points stay or can be linked after a card is cancelled, and since they need to be linked, it's safer to use option 2, because you link the Prestige to the downgrade no-AF TYP card you change the Premier to.

But remember, you have the change the Premier to a card that earns TYP points, such as DoubleCash, Rewards+, or CustomCash, for your Premier points to stay intact.

As to 3, I think it only matters if you already had spend in the current Premier statement cycle that earns points. In that case, if you wait until the end of the statement cycle to downgrade, the points will earn according to Premier rules. If you don't wait, I don't what will happen (I'm not sure which card's rules it will earn under, if any). Most people don't downgrade a card on which they've been earning until the very end, so it may hard to find datapoints about that.

And, btw, if you have any points also on your Prestige card, once you link your TYP cards, all those points will be combined into one total. To some partners, you can only transfer in certain multiples, like 1000 points, so combining 400 points from another card may take you from 13,6XX to 14,0XX, and that in some cases may mean you have 1000 more points you can transfer.

But that brings up another question: If you're planning to get of your Prestige card, then there's no hurry needed to transfer points. You can transfer as long as you have either Prestige or Premier, as long as all the points from all your TYP cards are linked and you see one total when log into your Citi website and scroll down to the list of TYP points for any card.
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 12:37 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Look at the Wiki atop this thread:

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

It says:

Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

But you have to have the Premier (or its TYP account replacement) and Prestige accounts linked in order to be able to do that.

So I think 2 is the safer of these options, because your points will stay intact and transferable with your Prestige card, and if you don't already them linked, you'll have plenty of time to link them.

I don't know offhand if points stay or can be linked after a card is cancelled, and since they need to be linked, it's safer to use option 2, because you link the Prestige to the downgrade no-AF TYP card you change the Premier to.

But remember, you have the change the Premier to a card that earns TYP points, such as DoubleCash, Rewards+, or CustomCash, for your Premier points to stay intact.

As to 3, I think it only matters if you already had spend in the current Premier statement cycle that earns points. In that case, if you wait until the end of the statement cycle to downgrade, the points will earn according to Premier rules. If you don't wait, I don't what will happen (I'm not sure which card's rules it will earn under, if any). Most people don't downgrade a card on which they've been earning until the very end, so it may hard to find datapoints about that.

And, btw, if you have any points also on your Prestige card, once you link your TYP cards, all those points will be combined into one total. To some partners, you can only transfer in certain multiples, like 1000 points, so combining 400 points from another card may take you from 13,6XX to 14,0XX, and that in some cases may mean you have 1000 more points you can transfer.

But that brings up another question: If you're planning to get of your Prestige card, then there's no hurry needed to transfer points. You can transfer as long as you have either Prestige or Premier, as long as all the points from all your TYP cards are linked and you see one total when log into your Citi website and scroll down to the list of TYP points for any card.
Thank you. The points are already combined that's why I had to ask CSR how many points are in the account. I'll be keeping the Prestige so I guess transferring would not be a problem.

I think I'll be looking into calling them when this statement closes but before the 30 days that I received the last statement in the mail to get rid of the Premier if they tell me no dice on the offers. I already have a Rewards+ card so I guess I'll downgrade Premier to another Rewards+.
Old May 29, 2024, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by mtuze
Debating on what I should do with my Premier card. AF just posted and I don't use the card much. I will call for a retention offer but not expecting much. It's currently my only Citi card and oldest card account. I don't have any TYP to worry about after recently transferring them out for future travel plans.

Thinking my best option is downgrading to the Rewards+ card. I do went to get back into Citi in the future and don't want to miss out on any SUBs. I see the Rewards+ as the least likely card I will go for compared to the Double Cash or Custom Cash. I know the best option is probably to apply for the Custom Cash then downgrade to a second Custom Cash but I'm focused on churning Chase Inks for the time being.

If I decide to downgrade, does my line of thinking check out? Is there a better idea or option I am missing?
No retention offer. Chose to downgrade to the ThankYou Preferred card which it was originally.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 12:05 am

Downgrade strategy for Prestige

I've only kept the Prestige card for the 2x annual 4th Night Free benefit (and I guess maybe Priority Pass restaurants after July), but it's become increasingly harder to find a good hotel deal with the higher rates in Citi Travel/Booking.com portal. I have almost 80k TYP from my Prestige account, and not sure I will be able to a good transfer destination before the AF renews in September.
I still find TYP useful and can see myself getting use out of the Strata Premier. I don't want to just downgrade the Prestige, cz then I miss out on a SUB. Can I do the following with any of my TYP expiring?
- In the meantime, Link the my Prestige and Premier accounts
- Cancel my Prestige sometime after that
Don't think this makes a difference, but I also have a Costco Visa.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 3:05 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
- Cancel my Prestige sometime after that.
If you do this the points earned with Prestige will expire. The only way to prevent expiration is to downgrade Prestige, rather than cancel. You can downgrade to Rewards+ or Custom Cash, rather than to Premier.
EmpressRouge likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jun 12, 2024 at 3:47 pm Reason: Correct card name.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by mia
If you do this the points earned with Prestige will expire. The only way to prevent expiration is to downgrade Prestige, rather than cancel. You can downgrade to Preferred+ or Custom Cash, rather than to Premier.
Did a quick search and couldn't find a Preferred+ - assuming you meant Rewards+ (or Preferred)? Otherwise would love to learn more about this new downgrade option.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 3:46 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
.... assuming you meant Rewards+ .....
Correct. My mistake. Sorry for the confusion.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you do this the points earned with Prestige will expire. The only way to prevent expiration is to downgrade Prestige, rather than cancel. You can downgrade to Rewards+ or Custom Cash, rather than to Premier.
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Did a quick search and couldn't find a Preferred+ - assuming you meant Rewards+ (or Preferred)? Otherwise would love to learn more about this new downgrade option.
Okay, so updated strategy to keep TYP would be:
- Apply for Strata Premier and earn SUB
- Meanwhile, combine Strata Premier and Prestige accounts/TYPs
- Downgrade Prestige to Rewards+ or Preferred

A little hesitant to keep that many Citi cards, so I will try to find a way to spend my existing Prestige TYPs if possible.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Correct. My mistake. Sorry for the confusion.
No apologies needed - I was genuinely curious about if there is a Citi card I was not aware of. Actually learned about the Preferred card when searching for Preferred+.

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
Okay, so updated strategy to keep TYP would be:
- Apply for Strata Premier and earn SUB
- Meanwhile, combine Strata Premier and Prestige accounts/TYPs
- Downgrade Prestige to Rewards+ or Preferred

A little hesitant to keep that many Citi cards, so I will try to find a way to spend my existing Prestige TYPs if possible.
Having three Citi cards is probably not many even by Citis standard, but obviously each of their own calculation. If you are really concerned about that, you could possibly PC Prestige to Premier to give you more time to transfer the TYP. This does not prevent you from earning a signup bonus on a later date.
EmpressRouge likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
If I want to PC the ATT card to Strata, will the points remain?

I understand it's likely a card number change but that is no longer an issue (number change, closed account) in regards to clock reset, correct?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.