View Poll Results: Which Sears related card(s) do you use?
My card earns ThankYou points (TYP).
31.25%
My card earns Shop Your Way points (SYW).
65.63%
I have both the TYP and SYW versions.
0%
My Sears card earns no rewards.
0%
I follow this thread, but I do not use a Sears card.
3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hurnik
To read previous discussion click HERE

Application link for the Shop Your Way (SYW) MasterCard is HERE.

Accumulating points, expiration, and redemptions:
You can accumulate SYW points in some of the following methods:
  • Bonus offers sent to your email (ie: Spend $750 on Online and get 200,000 SYW Bonus points)
  • Regular spend - categories: 5% in gas, 3% in grocery/restaurants, 2% in SYW Merchants, 1% everywhere else
  • "Missions" in the SYW App (iPhone/Android)
Expiration of points:
Not all points have the same expiration timeframe. Some bonus/incentive points expire in 30 days or less. Most are 1 year. You can check in the SYW app, or the shopyourway.com website. Make sure to redeem the points before they expire!!!!

Redemptions:
You can only redeem $200 worth per day. So if you redeem for a $200 GC, you have to wait until the next day to make another redemption of any amount.

What counted as online purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Amazon purchase or re-load
  • Carters.com (Merchandise-CHILDRENS / INFANTS WEAR STORE)
  • Costco.com
  • Ebay seller fees (direct entry) (MCC: N/A)
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Gift Card Mall
  • Homedepot.com (Merchandise-HOME SUPPLY WAREHOUSE STORES)
  • Iherb.com (Merchandise-MISC FOOD STORE,SPECIALTY,CONVENIENCE)
  • Kygunco.com (Merchandise-DURABLE GOODS, NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Lockedloaded.com (Merchandise-SPORTING GOODS STORES)
  • MileagePlusX (MCC varies)
  • Pirateship.com (Services-COURIER SERVICE, FREIGHT FORWARDERS)
  • Plastiq (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
  • Scholastic.com (Organizations-MISC SCHOOLS / EDUCATIONAL SERVICES)
  • Usmint.gov (Services-MISC GOVERNMENT SERVICES)
  • united.com (Air Travel-UNITED AIRLINES)
  • Texas de Brazil (.com site for GC, VIP cards) - Merchandise - NOVELTY/SOUVENIR SHOPS
What didn't count as online purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Fluz (MCC varies, YMMV)
  • Geico.com (Services-INSURANCE-SALES / UNDERWRITING)
  • Paypal (MCC varies)
What counted as utilities purchase with Sears card (alphabetical order)
  • Cable, Satellite, TV (Restaurants-CABLE,SATELLITE,PAY TV/RADIO SERVICES)
  • Telecom (Restaurants-TELEPHONE SERVICE)
  • Telecom (Services-TELEPHONE SERVICE/EQUIPMENT)
  • Utilities (Restaurants-UTILITIES-ELECTRIC,GAS,SANITARY,WATER)
What didn't count as Travel purchase (alphabetical order):
  • VRBO
What didn't count as Restaurnt purchase (alphabetical order):
  • Texas de Brazil.com (GC,VIP cards, etc.) - Merchandise - NOVELTY/SOUVENIR SHOPS

Credit Line Increases
This is very odd, but according to the Chatbot on the website:
Q. When requesting a credit limit increase, is the credit inquiry a hard or soft credit inquiry?
A. Unfortunately, until we process the request, there isn't a way for us to know if a credit line increase request will be a soft or hard hit on your credit report. For this reason, we have to receive your permission to pull a copy of your credit report before we process the increase request. If you process the request online, you will see a message stating "By submitting this form, you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report."

To request an increase online:
In order to request an increase, you will need to go to your “Credit Home” page, and find “Available Credit” at the top of the page. Then, click on the link that says “Request Increase” to begin the process.

Print Wikipost

Citi Sears and Shop Your Way (SYW) Cards

Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by supremeflyer
For the $100/$200 grocery, etc offer do you have to wait until the statement posts before starting the next month?

I completed in Jan but statement won't end until Feb 10. I will be changing my statement posting end date so it falls closer to the beginning of the month after Jan posts.

I couldn't do it before this offer since I just got the card.
No the offers are by date and your statement closing date doesn’t affect anything. That said, AFAIK no one has gotten paid on new January-December 100/200 GGR offer yet.
TyrannicalDuncery likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:39 pm

Visa gift cards from SYW

Does anyone have experience with the 6-month Visa cards that you can get from SYW?

If not, I am willing to do some tests, for science! Let me know if you have any small transactions you would like me to test.

I'm interested in how the cards can be used, focusing on the "usual suspects" like
  • PayPal
  • PayPal bill pay
  • utility/insurance/rent/mortgage/tax payments made outside of PayPal (probably going to vary, I get it)
  • Citi credit card bill pay by phone
  • online checkout
  • gift card sites, e.g. Raise or Amazon balance
  • mobile wallets like Google Pay/Walmart Pay
  • Costco in-store
  • money-sending apps like Venmo/Cash App
I'm also interested in the card behavior, things like
  • whether it lets you add an address/AVS information
  • whether it randomly shuts down/becomes a pain in the butt.

Personally I am not interested in MS, but like many I would rather use my gift cards on bills where I can
  • easily use up the exact amount on the card;
  • not be missing out on a discount/cash back (e.g. I don't want to use the card directly at Walmart when I could go and buy a Walmart gift card at 10% off, or just save myself the hassle and redeem straight to Walmart).
ptatohed likes this.

Last edited by TyrannicalDuncery; Feb 4, 2024 at 3:45 pm Reason: Cash App not CashApp
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
No the offers are by date and your statement closing date doesn’t affect anything. That said, AFAIK no one has gotten paid on new January-December 100/200 GGR offer yet.
I’m not surprise no one has gotten paid yet since the earliest anyone’s statement for Jan would close is right now.

My past experience with an offer is it shows up right away on the next statement after you meet the offer requirements.

Originally Posted by TyrannicalDuncery
Does anyone have experience with the 6-month Visa cards that you can get from SYW?

If not, I am willing to do some tests, for science! Let me know if you have any small transactions you would like me to test.

I'm interested in how the cards can be used, focusing on the "usual suspects" like
  • PayPal
  • PayPal bill pay
  • utility/insurance/rent/mortgage/tax payments made outside of PayPal (probably going to vary, I get it)
  • Citi credit card bill pay by phone
  • online checkout
  • gift card sites, e.g. Raise or Amazon balance
  • mobile wallets like Google Pay/Walmart Pay
  • Costco in-store
  • money-sending apps like Venmo/CashApp
I'm also interested in the card behavior, things like
  • whether it lets you add an address/AVS information
  • whether it randomly shuts down/becomes a pain in the butt.

Personally I am not interested in MS, but like many I would rather use my gift cards on things like insurance bills where I can
  • easily use up the exact amount on the card;
  • not be missing out on a discount/cash back (e.g. I don't want to use the card directly at Wal-Mart when I could go and buy a Wal-Mart gift card at 10% off).
Citi pay by phone did not go through for me. I’m going to try again with my next gift card.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:48 pm

Citi pay by phone did not go through for me. I’m going to try again with my next gift card.
Some time in December, something changed about the Visa e-gift card from SYW. Before December, I redeemed about 5-6 of these Visa e-giftcards and used all of them to pay for my other Citi credit card bills just fine. In early December, I redeemed for a Visa e-gift card of $6.66 (unlucky number I know, but that was all the SYW points in the account that needed to be redeemed before expiration). I used it to pay for one of my other Citi credit cards over the phone as normal. I even got an email confirmation from Citi that the payment submission went through. Then a week later I checked on my Citi account and noticed the payment had disappeared from my Citi account. I checked the Visa e-gift card and the money was still there.

I tried to redo the payment and Citi's phone system no longer liked the card and refused to accept it. I called up Citi and they told me that the card issuer blocked the payment for some reason and that I had to call them and ask. I tried adding the card to PayPal and PayPal didn't like the card either. It seems like whoever was in charge of issuing these Visa e-gift cards had decided to crack down on the ability to use these cards to pay certain things like credit card bills.

I'm also hoping that maybe this is just a one time error from the card issuer. I'm planning to redeem for another Visa e-gift card near the end of February so I'm going to try again.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:47 pm

What are you guys seeing as far as Missions in the SYW Max app, for February? I'm only seeing the Grocery one requiring 3 stamps for 3,000 points.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by ptatohed
What are you guys seeing as far as Missions in the SYW Max app, for February? I'm only seeing the Grocery one requiring 3 stamps for 3,000 points.
same, it will be an easy one for me with the grocery, gas offer

Originally Posted by That_Guy_0001
I tried to redo the payment and Citi's phone system no longer liked the card and refused to accept.
Phone rep processed the payment. Same thing happened where it didn’t go through and pulled it from my default payment source. This was Jan 2024.

Last edited by mia; Feb 4, 2024 at 6:56 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by ptatohed
For February, I only see the usual 3 stamps grocery mission. Looks like they might be tinkering with the missions again. Last February, SYW changed the expiration date on the SYW mission points from 1 year to 30 days. I just hope whatever they are doing, they would one day change the expiration dates on these mission points to something that is longer than 30 days. This is the sole reason why every other month I've been redeeming for small Visa e-gift cards to pay my credit card bills. I'm never letting those mission points get wasted via expiration.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:17 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I’m not surprise no one has gotten paid yet since the earliest anyone’s statement for Jan would close is right now.

My past experience with an offer is it shows up right away on the next statement after you meet the offer requirements.
Again, I can't claim to know how the new GGR promo is going to work, but payouts for all other SYW card offers have nothing to do with your statement date. The only thing that statement date affects is date assigned to the credit. It has nothing to do with when you actually receive the credit. The credit always reflects the 1st day of the current statement cycle, but you can receive it any day -- usually 2 or 3 days after completing requirements.
ptatohed likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:01 pm

What I mean is you won’t see the earned statement credit for the previous month until the next month statement.

unless you can see the credit in transaction activity?

I wait until I see the statement credit on the actual statement before doing the next month.

this is because I’m still new to this and want to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:07 pm

I could not use the Visa e-gift card at amazon, t-mobile, xfinity mobile, utilities bill or bill pay at Citi. Any pointers?
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:28 pm

What I mean is you won’t see the earned statement credit for the previous month until the next month statement.

unless you can see the credit in transaction activity?

I wait until I see the statement credit on the actual statement before doing the next month.

this is because I’m still new to this and want to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
YMMV. For me, my statement closing date is the 26th. I *usually* try to meet the monthly spend before then, so I know what I get (it'll post on the 26th). I have had times where say it's 10% "up to a max of $$". On the 26th I've met the MIN. spend, so I'll see THAT post on the 26th, but I'll have a few more days to spend "up to the max" and that credit USED to post in the next month statement, but I'd say "recently" (past 6 months?) it'll post like the 28th or the last day of the month, so when Quicken downloads the transactions I'll see it (or I can go online and see it), But obviously it gets put on the next monthly statement for me (since it posted after closing date).

I THINK Citi's gotten better about notating what the credit is for (if you are stacking things, like you have Online and GGR), it'll tell you which credit is for what. USED to be (this is a while ago) they didn't do that. Made it fun to track.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Laddu99
I could not use the Visa e-gift card at amazon, t-mobile, xfinity mobile, utilities bill or bill pay at Citi. Any pointers?

Did you just get that Visa e-gift card recently? The Visa e-gift card I got in December didn't allow me to use it to pay my Citi credit card bills as well. I was hoping that it might be an error pertaining to one card, but if you just got the card recently and it is still doing this, then it looks like the gift card issuer is cracking down on what you can use the cards for. It used to be that you can use the card for paying your Citi credit card bills.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 1:16 pm

Yes, I got it in Dec only.
I am ok with blocking on Citi billpay (hoping it will work again), but at least it should work on regular online transactions. Otherwise, it is of no use.
In the meantime, the CSR did not see any pending transactions even though I have tried Amazon, Walmart etc without any success. He suggested ApplePay, which I will try in-store next.

Follow up: Apple pay worked. I did not try auto-drain though.

Last edited by Laddu99; Feb 6, 2024 at 5:56 pm Reason: Follow up
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Laddu99
Yes, I got it in Dec only.
I am ok with blocking on Citi billpay (hoping it will work again), but at least it should work on regular online transactions. Otherwise, it is of no use.
In the meantime, the CSR did not see any pending transactions even though I have tried Amazon, Walmart etc without any success. He suggested ApplePay, which I will try in-store next.
Amazon has been hit or miss with my latest one in Jan

Dec was fine with Amazon

with other non SYW gift cards I’ve been able to login to a website and set a billing address which solved any issues

not if the vendor for SYW gift cards has the option to do
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:02 am

Does anyone know if Sam's Club codes as groceries?
According to AwardWallet, it'll code as: Merchandise & Supplies - Wholesale Stores OR Wholesale Clubs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.