Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Considering Bonvoy Amex-> Citi AA Executive move, some big ?s

Old Nov 12, 2023, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Hi all -- I've been Starwood/Bonvoy for a decade or so, having used the 25% bonus when converting points to AA. Now that that's dead (a while ago, I'm only just getting to this), I'm thinking hard about moving to the highest tier Citi card, given the improvements in elite qualifying via card spend. But here's my big question: The Bonvoy card allows us to create multiple "sub accounts" for lack of a better term. Not only do my wife and 17 year-old have authorized user accounts with their own card numbers, I was able to create four other card numbers/cards for no additional annual fee-ish cost (are these also technically authorized user accounts? I have no idea) -- one each for my wife and me to use as our day job "expense account" cards (our employer lets us use whatever cards we want) and two more to use as our LLC "expense account" cards, for expense/tax tracking purposes. So we have seven cards/card numbers altogether -- we were even able to put whatever words we want on them (ie "Ron Spoiled" is one of them), just so we can identify and pull out the right one at the right time.They all "report" into a single master account/statement -- with one bill and payment each month and a really good user interface on the Amex website.

In a perfect world, it will take no fewer than 10-20 hours to move all of this over and redo automatic purchases, which I might be willing to endure, but here's what some random phone rep *won't* be able to tell me accurately (or at least I won't trust them) but you all probably can:

1) Can I set up "subaccounts" this way on the Citi aa card, to mirror my Bonvoy Amex experience?

2) Is the web interface on Citi's website as good as Amex's, or at least close?

3) When I get the seven new cards, can I put different words on them to keep them straight (I guess I could Sharpie them too, but that's no fun)?

Any other tips from Bonvoy Amex refugees are welcome too -- there is undoubtedly stuff I haven't thought of. OK, here's another one already:

4) I've got lifetime platinum on Bonvoy so won't be losing any elite benefits there by ditching the card. We'll qualify for Exec Plat on AA -- up from lifetime Platinum -- within a year or so of spend. Will my upgrade (or other parts of my flying) life improve all that much on 20-25 segments per year, mostly domestic and not transcon?

Thanksmuch...
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:14 am

This seems to have nothing to do with AA and flights. Why are you posting on this forum?
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:20 am
Original Poster

My apologies, my recollection was in days of yore, something like this -- involving AA's citi card, so very much not "nothing to do with AA" -- would draw more replies on the AA forum than on the Citi/card forum and that AA card posts that also involved upgrade discussion would not elicit replies like yours. If that has changed, please let me know and I will delete and post over on the Citi forum. My best guess was that I would find lots of people here who used to do the Bonvoy/AA transfer 25% bonus using the Bonvoy card but were AA loyalists.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by ron-val-ron
1) Can I set up "subaccounts" this way on the Citi aa card, to mirror my Bonvoy Amex experience
No

2) Is the web interface on Citi's website as good as Amex's, or at least close?
No/uncertain. depends on what you like about Amexs site but Citi is pretty basic. Does what I need, but what are you wanting from the amex site?

3) When I get the seven new cards, can I put different words on them to keep them straight (I guess I could Sharpie them too, but that's no fun)?
No

. Will my upgrade (or other parts of my flying) life improve all that much on 20-25 segments per year, mostly domestic and not transcon?
yes your upgrade odds will be far better as EXP vs PLAT. All depends on route and time. I was plat and moved up to EXP and been pleased with my upgrade success. Definitely not 100% but about 70%
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you -- if I can't make subaccount cards (without paying for 6-7 more authorized user cards), then this is a no go, alas. Sigh.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I have a authorized user card for a child minder, and in the Citi portal i have to click on each transaction to see if it was her or me. Sounds like Amex has a better setup.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:03 am
Original Poster

that is deeply annoying
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:21 am

that is deeply annoying
indeed it is.
it is not the most consumer or business friendly configuration!
were it not for the benefits, I'd do something else myself
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
indeed it is.
it is not the most consumer or business friendly configuration!
were it not for the benefits, I'd do something else myself
Chase - there's no way to find out.

IME, Amex has the best setup of the lot.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.3 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I've got more cards than I can count, and I only keep ones that I can get more benefit out of the annual fees. That said, I've got over $3k in annual fees, but I have a spreadsheet and track it.

Like you, I can use personal credit cards for my corporate spend (which is significant). The only thing I can't buy is airfare which is direct billed through our travel desk which is AMEX Travel Center front ended by Concur. That said, all hotels are on me, all expensed meals, rideshare, etc.

I've never had the need to sub-account my cards out, I can easily track my personal vs corporate. I use Mint (which is going away), and prior to that I used Quicken (decades ago). Can you not do the same?

In reality, my AA Exec is the card I use the least, in fact almost never, but it gives me and my family Admirals Club access. With the new benefits, I take 3 Lyfts per month to get the $10 and use it for one Avis personal rental car, outside of that, I use other cards, notably AMEX Hilton Aspire, JP Morgran Chase Ritz Carlton and AMEX Business Bonvoy (solely for restaurants to get the 4x per dollar), Amex Hilton Surpass (for 5x grocery only).

I find hotel points more valuable than miles as my family skis a ton and Marriott/Hilton ski-in-ski-out places generally represent strong points redemption valuations. While I appreciate the Loyalty Point kickers, I get my LPs from butt-in-seat with W-fare long hauls and I do occasionally use the shopping portal (maybe 5k points a year from that). For all of my cards, I use airline credits against Admirals Club expenses which I then expense as meals to my company as well as in-flight Wi-Fi. If you maximize those, rideshare, Clear, etc. and most importantly the free nights, you can literally make money with these cards. I spend on my Hilton cards a lot and if there's a spend kicker for an extra night, those are my top priorities. We go through hotel points fast in my household.

Anyways, good luck, I've redeemed AA points for hotel spend a few times but always feel like I don't get as much for my money as Marriott/Hilton, but again my points redemptions are very strategic.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:50 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
All of the cards on a Citi personal account will have the same number. If you need each card to have a different number to segregate expenses, you need a Citi Business card account. There is no business version of the Executive card, the business card features are explained here: https://www.citi.com/usc/LPACA/AA/AA.../ps/index.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.