We Calculated Your Score of 7973

Old Aug 24, 2023, 1:45 pm
RNE
Original Poster

We Calculated Your Score of 7973

P2 got denied on an application for the Premier card. The rejection letter said...
We calculated your score of 7973 using information the consumer reporting agency listed above provided. This score was used when making our decision. Scores range from 0 to 9999.
The letter goes on to list items that impacted her score, but my question isn't about them. Instead, I want to know what that four-digit score is. I'm only familiar with 3-digit scores.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by RNE
P2 got denied on an application for the Premier card. The rejection letter said... The letter goes on to list items that impacted her score, but my question isn't about them. Instead, I want to know what that four-digit score is. I'm only familiar with 3-digit scores.
Which "consumer reporting agency" was listed in the letter?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 6:51 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
The letter does not say that the credit score is 7973, it says that Citi "calculated" that score using information from a credit bureau (and other information). This indicates that the 0000 to 9999 scale is a Citi internal metric.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 4:48 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

This is also mentioned in one of the Comments attached to this 2022 blog article:https://onemileatatime.com/guides/cr...-credit-score/

In their denial letter, Citi provides a score between 1-9999 value using some sort of proprietary process and I'm over 8000 but still getting denied.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:24 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Which "consumer reporting agency" was listed in the letter?
Not relevant.

Originally Posted by mia
The letter does not say that the credit score is 7973...
Yes, I know. That's why the word "credit" appears nowhere in my post.

This indicates that the 0000 to 9999 scale is a Citi internal metric.
I know that also. I was hoping someone had insight into that metric.

I researched the matter online before posting this thread, and while lots of sources state that Citi's internal scoring system exists, few offer any insight into it: e.g. What's a "good" score? What affects the score? And (dare I say) can it be gamed? Etc.

Yes, I realize Citi's system is proprietary, not public knowledge, but I also know things have a way of getting out. And if it has, I'd like to learn more about it. So, if anyone can cite a source for me (I'm not holding my breath), please do so. You won't only reduce the ignorance of my pathetic self, but also that of countless others here.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
The letter goes on to list items that impacted her score
Well, those items might provide insight about the score is. So you might as well list them.

Perhaps it's their "anti-churning" calculator, or something like that? Ie, akin to Chase's 5/24 or BofA's 2/3/4, but more complex than that.

An "ant-churning" calculation is always based on your credit report, which is presumably what the consumer credit reporting agency provided.

If Citi has a "secret" anti-churning calculation, of course they don't want to explain how it works in fear of people figuring out ways to get around it, like some people get around Chase's 5/24 by applying for business cards, since most (but not all) banks don't report business cards to personal credit bureaus.

But only the list of items will help explain whether that's the case.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:30 am
RNE
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I'll look elsewhere.

RNE, saying this thread may now be closed.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 1:13 pm
mia

In 2020 Citi's credit model had a maximum score of 2500.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.