Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Citi AA Executive card July 2023

Changes to Citi AA Executive card July 2023

Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by mia
This can lower a credit score, but it is probably not the sole reason for a decline. Did any of your card accounts show a balance at the time of the application? Citi will decline if it appears that you are not using existing accounts.
Thanks MIA for response….
CSR has Large balance ( mostly travel and town car service). Also, Chase Freedom, Amazon visa ,. Apple Card , Citi Costco all have current activity. ,Those are the big ones.
So, non use of cards not the issue. Interesting , I am tempted to apply for reconsideration in this matter.

Last edited by pcoll; Jul 14, 2023 at 8:22 pm Reason: TMI
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bet the changes to the card fees are because the annual Admirals Club membership fees are going up even more, typically by $200 for individuals and $400 for households:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...membership.jsp

So compared to that, the increase of the card's annual fee by just $145 is a discount.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:17 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So compared to that, the increase of the card's annual fee by just $145 is a discount.
This analysis ignores the change in the cost of AU cards.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
This analysis ignores the change in the cost of AU cards.
Yes, but since household memberships are going up by $400, if the AUs are in the same household, up to 3 AUs for $175 + $149 increase for the card itself is still a discount. Only if there are 4 AUs or more (in which is case it's an extra $175 each) is it not a discount.

So each case of AUs has to be separately evaluated, since some cases are discounts, and others are an increases in costs, compared to the new Admirals Club membership fees.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:11 pm

For data point since others mentioned being rejected.
Just applied and gotten approved for it today. Decided to apply for it since the AF is going up and once the new terms kick in, i dont mind the extra 20K LPs. Used to have an old AA card but cancelled it a long time ago and need an AA card now to maximize the AAHotels portal accrual, might downgrade to a no fee card once the new AF kicks in.
tygron likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 9:07 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
My card renews August 1 and my statement closes on the 19th so I just reviewed the July statement for a notice saying the annual fee is going up. On page three under Account Messages it says: "Your account has an annual membership fee of $450.00, which will appear on your next billing statement.". I am interpreting this to mean that they haven't given me the 45 day notice to raise my fee and I am good for another year.
dw and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 10:13 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
FYI for current cardholders, the new Guide to Protection Benefits is available on Citi's site now. (After you log in, go to Citi Card Benefits.). Details about the new credits is also there:

Beginning July 23, 2023 after taking 3 eligible rides in a calendar month, you will earn a $10 Lyft credit, for a total of up to $120 Lyft credits annually.

Up to $120 Lyft Credit:
Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard credit cardmembers may participate in Lyft and Mastercard's Take 3 Get $10 program ("Program"), by using their Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard to pay for the full amount or partial amount of three (3) Eligible Rides in a calendar month. After taking 3 Eligible Rides in a calendar month, you will then receive a $10 Lyft credit ("Credit"). Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard credit cardmembers are eligible to receive a credit of up to $120 annually. All rides must be paid for with an eligible Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard. Limit one Credit per calendar month per Lyft account. Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard credit cardmembers are not eligible for any other Mastercard credit on the Lyft app. Rides paid for using Digital Wallets including, but not limited to, Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc., are not Eligible Rides and will not count towards receiving the $10 Lyft credit.

An “Eligible Ride” is any Lyft ride type, excluding business rides and bicycle and scooter rental rides. Valid only in the USA. Whether a ride qualifies as an Eligible Ride for purposes of the Credit will be determined in Lyft’s sole discretion. Credits expire 30 days after application. By participating in the Program, you agree to these terms and Lyft’s Terms of Service (https://www.lyft.com/terms), and you agree that Lyft and Mastercard may share your information for the purpose of tracking and processing the Credit and may use anonymized, aggregated data for business analytics and offer optimization. Credits may take up to 2 days to be applied to your Lyft account.

Beginning July 23, 2023 earn a statement credit of up to $10 per monthly billing statement on eligible Grubhub purchases, for a total of up to $120 every 12 billing statements.

Up to $120 Grubhub Statement Credit:
Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard credit cardmembers are eligible to receive a statement credit of up to $10 per monthly billing statement (for a total of up to $120 every 12 monthly billing statements) on eligible purchases made at Grubhub. There is no minimum purchase requirement to earn the statement credit(s). Eligible purchases include transactions, tips, taxes, and fees charged directly on grubhub.com, seamless.com and the Grubhub and Seamless mobile applications. Orders placed using the campus dining feature on Grubhub and gift card purchases are not eligible.

Beginning July 23, 2023 earn a $1 statement credit per $1 spent on eligible Avis or Budget car rental purchases, up to $120 every calendar year.

Up to $120 Avis or Budget Car Rental Statement Credit:

Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard credit cardmembers are eligible to receive a statement credit of up to $120 every calendar year when purchases of up to $120 or more made at Avis or Budget car rentals or both are charged to your card account. The credit will be awarded on car rental spend that is inclusive of time and mileage, taxes, purchases, and other fees.

This statement credit only applies to Avis or Budget brands at participating locations. Car rentals not paid for directly with Avis or Budget will not qualify; for example, car rentals purchased through travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, or as part of a package offered by merchants, such as cruise lines and railways, will not qualify. The purpose of the car rental must be for driver and passenger transportation. Merchants that provide RV rentals or vehicle rentals for the purpose of hauling are not included in this category.
lkar and ZenFlyer like this.

Last edited by dw; Jul 20, 2023 at 10:19 am
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
I'm OK with the extra cost for AC access. My home airport has an AC. I normally have to connect somewhere, and don't like layovers less than an hour. I fly AA often enough that it's cheaper than the equivalent number of day passes. The $175 for AUs won't kill me, and my spouse and adult son like having the AC. If they take 3 AA trips a year without me, it's less than the $237 for 3 day passes. I also welcome the return of of the travel benefits; I'd changed a lot of my spend to Chase for their trip insurance benefits.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:51 pm

Citi car rental coverage is secondary right? I'm not sure that $120 is worth not using one of my primary coverage cards like Chase Ritz. Maybe for a very short rental.
abk likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:05 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by lkar
Citi car rental coverage is secondary right? I'm not sure that $120 is worth not using one of my primary coverage cards like Chase Ritz. Maybe for a very short rental.
The benefits guide just posted confirms that coverage is secondary in the US; primary outside of the US.

I pay for Amex's Premium Car Rental Coverage at $24.95 a rental so I suppose I'll use the Avis credit for a one day rental and pay the $25-30 for their damage waiver; for a one day rental it's roughly what I would have paid to Amex anyway.
lkar likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by dw
The benefits guide just posted confirms that coverage is secondary in the US; primary outside of the US.

I pay for Amex's Premium Car Rental Coverage at $24.95 a rental so I suppose I'll use the Avis credit for a one day rental and pay the $25-30 for their damage waiver; for a one day rental it's roughly what I would have paid to Amex anyway.
Ahh -- that's good. Yeah, so about $100 credit on a one-day. Better than nothing.

Edit -- of course, Avis/Budget also has to be cheapest.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:27 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by dw

If you rent a lot of cars then the Chase Saphire Reserve will pay for itself. After the travel credit which is easy to use the card only costs $250 and has primary car rental coverage plus the other benefits. Before I got the CSR I did it your way.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Can one split payments on Lyft rides? Wouldn't like forgoing 10x on the CSR for a $10 credit.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by abk
If you rent a lot of cars then the Chase Saphire Reserve will pay for itself. After the travel credit which is easy to use the card only costs $250 and has primary car rental coverage plus the other benefits. Before I got the CSR I did it your way.
The CSP and Ritz card also offer primary insurance for a lower price.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:44 pm

If you don't have the card yet, go and check. I was able to get the 100,000 offer with the old fee terms and no fee authorized user. Still have to spend the $10,000, but not a bad deal for 100k points. Applied and auto-approved with an authorized user

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.