Lost Sign Up Bonus - Arbitration?

Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Lost Sign Up Bonus - Arbitration?

Has anyone had a similar experience where you signed up for a Citi credit card to obtain the sign-up bonus, met the required spending amount, and received confirmation of the bonus points? However, you later received an unexpected refund that caused their total spending to fall slightly below the required limit. While your spending, including the annual fee, exceeds the limit, the terms and conditions do not factor in the annual fee.

I'm wondering if I will have any chance of succeeding in arbitration regarding this situation.

I've learned my lesson in spending a few hundred dollars over the spending requirement.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:59 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
I can't help you but I hope this post serves as a lesson for not only yourself but anyone who might see it in the future.

Did you already go through the normal customer service escalation process through Citi?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Arbitration
Has anyone had a similar experience where you signed up for a Citi credit card to obtain the sign-up bonus, met the required spending amount, and received confirmation of the bonus points? However, you later received an unexpected refund that caused their total spending to fall slightly below the required limit. While your spending, including the annual fee, exceeds the limit, the terms and conditions do not factor in the annual fee.

I'm wondering if I will have any chance of succeeding in arbitration regarding this situation.

I've learned my lesson in spending a few hundred dollars over the spending requirement.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

What was the nature of the "unexpected" refund? Did you learn of it while there was still time to make additional purchases to meet the spend requirement?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:21 am

Not worth it. I'll suggest moving on.
Trying to bring this to arbitration and/or litigation could easily land you in the "previous unsatisfactory relationship" type of blacklist for any future applications.
dw and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Arbitration.

The common FlyerTalk recommendation on all cards from all banks, where you doing signup bonus spend, is to make a purchase at least equal to the refunded amount as soon as you notice the refund, to show your "good will". Even if you're past the sign up period, it shows that you were trying to make up for the refund, which the bank may consider.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.