Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Premier bonus now (April 2023) requires 48 month interval.

Citi Premier bonus now (April 2023) requires 48 month interval.

Old Aug 28, 2023, 1:15 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
so its confirmed that airbnb earns 3x on Citi Premier Card

Originally Posted by frappant
OK, I had a Airbnb charge earlier this month for $306.

My statement balance is $1205 and I got 3329 points, of which I got 3048 in 3X Air Travel and Hotels and 136 in 3X Restaurants and 145 in 1X All Other Purchases.

So I did get 3X for the $306 Airbnb charge.

I probably have some Airbnb charges on my Chase Sapphire Preferred but guessing I got 2X UR points on those.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 6:56 am

Reduced redemption rate for citi premier?

Hello all. I have the citi premier card and about 100k points. 1. I thought I get 1 cent per point using the portal, my rate is coming up as 0.8 ccp.
2. I thought with the premier card I could transfer to jet blue at a 1:1 ratio. It is showing 1-0.8.
Am I doing something wrong? Or what am
i missing?
Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:56 am

crazy, I called in - they said everything looked right, and when I logged in, it was changed to what I thought it should be.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, it extends the disqualification time from 24 to 48 months, but it also eliminates the cross-disqualification for other ThankYou cards bonuses. Premier, Rewards+ and Custom Cash each has the 48 month disqualification period now.
I know you can't predict the future, but i previously got the Citi Premier bonus in July, 2022, product changed to Citi Custom Cash in August,2023, and kept the same account number.

I know I may not be eligible for a new Citi Prestige bonus until July, 2026

Because the cross-disqualification is eliminated, do you think people will be immediately eligible to get the signup bonus when, and if, the Citi Strata Elite is released?

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...-credit-cards/

I am guessing those that already had the Citi Premier in the last 4 years would not be eligible for the bonus on the Citi Strata Premier.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:42 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If Starta Premier is a rebranded replacement for Premier, I expect that existing cardholders will receive it automatically, and the most recent Premier bonus will determine eligibility for a Strata Premier bonus.
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:29 pm

Citi Premier SUB - worth waiting for more than 60K?

Hey FT. I'm considering getting the Citi Premier card, but the 60K SUB is at/near the lows of what it has been historically. Curious if you think it's worth waiting for a 75K or 80K SUB offer? I don't currently have a Citi card of any kind for what it's worth. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 4:17 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Originally Posted by rbrad
....worth waiting for a 75K or 80K SUB offer? ....
1. How do you plan to redeem ThankYou points, transfer to an airline or hotel partner or something else?

2. Do you intend to open other ThankYou cards to augment Premier's earnings?
Old Oct 25, 2023, 3:52 am

Thank you mia for redirecting to the correct thread. I saw this thread, but wasn't sure if I should post it here as it didn't have to do with the 48 month interval.

Originally Posted by mia
1. How do you plan to redeem ThankYou points, transfer to an airline or hotel partner or something else?

2. Do you intend to open other ThankYou cards to augment Premier's earnings?
1. By transferring to an airline partner, likely TK or Singapore.
2. Probably not, to be honest.

I'm also based in London, so confirming that the 3x points are at global grocery stores? I believe the AmEx Gold is limited to US groceries. An OMAAT article said that the Premier's 3x bonus costs were global.

Last edited by rbrad; Oct 25, 2023 at 4:05 am Reason: Editing question
Old Oct 25, 2023, 5:16 am
mia

Originally Posted by rbrad
I'm also based in London, so confirming that the 3x points are at global grocery stores?
Yes, in May I made purchases at Co-Op, Sainsburys and Waitrose which earned 3X.

Citi is sensitive to recently opened accounts (see this thread), and also to dormant accounts. Basically, their algorithm is trying to exclude applicants who are opening accounts primarily to earn the new account bonus, in addition to credit risk. Even if you have been opening business card accounts, they can see the credit inquiries even though the resulting accounts are invisible.
rbrad likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:05 am

Response

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, in May I made purchases at Co-Op, Sainsburys and Waitrose which earned 3X.

Citi is sensitive to recently opened accounts (see this thread), and also to dormant accounts. Basically, their algorithm is trying to exclude applicants who are opening accounts primarily to earn the new account bonus, in addition to credit risk. Even if you have been opening business card accounts, they can see the credit inquiries even though the resulting accounts are invisible.
Thanks mia . Good to know about the 3x.

Sounds like Citi is very sensitive. I'm at 6/24 until March 30, 2024. Trying to expand to other CC's beyond Chase, AmEx, and C1, but it's proving difficult. Wondering if it's worth waiting to get back to 5/24 and then apply for Chase biz cards while discerning what might be the next move for my wallet (perhaps co-branded CC's?).
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:53 pm

48 month rule

I've seen articles online suggesting that the new Citi bonus rule requires only that the bonus for the specific card was not received within 48 months.
I have a Citi Premier card that's 6 years old (hence well past that limit). What is everyones understanding wrt:
- If I downgrade the current Citi Premier now, and then later apply for a new Citi Premier, the downgrade is not going to affect my ability to get the card and the bonus based on that new rule?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
I've seen articles online suggesting that the new Citi bonus rule requires only that the bonus for the specific card was not received within 48 months.
I have a Citi Premier card that's 6 years old (hence well past that limit). What is everyones understanding wrt:
- If I downgrade the current Citi Premier now, and then later apply for a new Citi Premier, the downgrade is not going to affect my ability to get the card and the bonus based on that new rule?
Downgrading Citi card shouldn't really change the account number for the card. As long the account number didn't change, it didn't reset the clock.

The old 24 month rule was more restrictive in the sense that had the language of "if you also closed these accounts in the past 24 months", meaning that if you directly closed the card instead of PC, the 24 month counter got reset. However generally PC instead of closing would not reset the clock.

This new 48 month language is just now only applies for previously received a bonus. So regardless, you're beyond the 48 month limit of receiving the bonus.
Old May 16, 2024, 6:01 am
mia

Moderator action

Discussion continues here: Citi Premier converted to Citi Strata Premier

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.