"Too much unused credit"

Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
"Too much unused credit"

I know this is now a common denial reason for the Premier card. Is it the same for other Citi cards such as the AA business card, or do they not have this new requirement yet?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is your only other example of a Citi card a business card?

Citi has a separate department for business cards vs personal cards, so while a policy like this may not be in effect for business cards, it may possibly be in effect for other personal cards.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:20 pm

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
Originally Posted by italdesign
I know this is now a common denial reason for the Premier card.
I didn't know, but now I do, the hard way. Sheesh.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 6:28 am

This was the reason I was just denied the personal AA Platinum and it's current 75k signup bonus. Crazy.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Is this all available unused credit, or just unused credit through Citi?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:22 pm

I was approved for Premier with 1-2% utilization on six of eight credit cards; 0% utilization on the other two. One of the cards (with 1-2% utilization) was Citi Custom Cash. It seems that for Premier, Citi likes to see usage on most, but not all cards.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Seems like it's YMMV. If one has a lot of unused credit it might be wise to lower the CL on some of them before applying.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Credit Bureau Updates?

Does anyone know when the credit information gets updated that banks use to determine if they will approve a card application or not? I am talking specifically about Citi for an American Airlines card. I had 5 open cards, it's been over 2 years since I had the Citi AA card, FICO is 800+/-. Plenty of income ($150k) and no debt. My application was turned down because I had too much available credit and wasn't using what I had. I have had 6-9 cards open before and never had that happen. Granted, other than to meet spend requirements I rarely use the cards. But I have a significant spend pending and want to take advantage of the current 75,000 mile bonus after depleting our AA accounts for 2 upcoming trips.

So today I called the number they gave me and the lady basically said all I could do is reduce the amount of credit available. Yesterday I closed a Chase United card that had hit the one year mark. That left me with four cards - all of which I have had for 15-45 years. I contacted each of those companies today and had them reduce my credit limit a total of $25k (plus the $18k that was available on the United card) leaving about $25k available. So I'm hoping all that will allow them to approve the AA card.

The question is - when will they see all that? The Citi 75,000 offer is supposed to expire "soon" so the clock is ticking. Any insight???

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4, 2023, 5:56 pm

I called Citi this morning to see if the fact I cancelled one card and lowered the CL on the other 4 I have made enough difference. It seems only Citi is applying this "too much credit and low usage criteria" - my wife applied for a Chase card right after being denied the Citi AA card and was instantly approved with a high CL. I made all my changes the 25th and 26th on May. The gal said the only way to check is to run a credit report - I said ok - and none of the changes were showing and the disapproved it again. Now I'll get denied for too many inquiries and being turned down :-) I gave up and used a United card to pay the things I was hoping to pay with the AA card - so 5,000 miles instead of 79,000. It hurts :-)
Old May 15, 2023, 6:14 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think that citi uses "Too much unused credit" as another way of stating "We are not willing to extend you an additional amount of credit".
Old May 15, 2023, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99
I think that citi uses "Too much unused credit" as another way of stating "We are not willing to extend you an additional amount of credit".
That's probably true but when they can clearly see my income is 10 times expenses with no debt, no defaults, no history of financial issues at 77/74 why wouldn't they want me to spend my $3,000 to $5,000 to meet the minimum spend for a new card even if I never use it again?? Someone else gladly gave us a card as soon as Citi said no. It's not like we are sitting here with 15-20 cards open - we each only had 4-5.
Old May 15, 2023, 6:26 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by bj2757
.... why wouldn't they want me to spend my $3,000 to $5,000 to meet the minimum spend for a new card even if I never use it again?.....
Citi is not interested in customers who only apply to earn the new account bonus.
roberto99, dw and isle-hawg like this.
Old May 20, 2023, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Is this all available unused credit, or just unused credit through Citi?
If you were addressing me it was just unused credit - I don't have anything with Citi.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.