Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Citi travel portal operated by Booking.com (Open 19 March 2023)

New Citi travel portal operated by Booking.com (Open 19 March 2023)

Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:19 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Citi allows cardholders to store airline and hotel loyalty numbers in a Profile, but Marriott is missing from the list of possible numbers.

Login to the main ThankYou Rewards page: https://www.thankyou.com/cms/thankyou/
Click your name in the upper right > My Profile
Scroll down to Loyalty Programs > Edit

The terms of hotel programs typically exclude rewards and benefits when the stay is booked through an OTA, such as Expedia or Booking.com, but most hotels are franchises and it does not hurt to ask because some will provide benefits even when not required.
JusRelax likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Citi allows cardholders to store airline and hotel loyalty numbers in a Profile, but Marriott is missing from the list of possible numbers.

Login to the main ThankYou Rewards page: https://www.thankyou.com/cms/thankyou/
Click your name in the upper right > My Profile
Scroll down to Loyalty Programs > Edit

The terms of hotel programs typically exclude rewards and benefits when the stay is booked through an OTA, such as Expedia or Booking.com, but most hotels are franchises and it does not hurt to ask because some will provide benefits even when not required.
Wow, thanks for posting this! I don't own a citi card eligible for the travel portal, so I didn't know this. I haven't seen any other portal with this kind of option. Has anyone confirmed receiving hotel loyalty points when booking through Citi's new travel portal?
Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
Originally Posted by JusRelax
Wow, thanks for posting this! I don't own a citi card eligible for the travel portal, so I didn't know this. I haven't seen any other portal with this kind of option. Has anyone confirmed receiving hotel loyalty points when booking through Citi's new travel portal?
This states that it is dependent upon the hotels own rewards program but does state that most do not honor your status if you book a room thru an OTA and not directly thru the hotel.

Avoid booking hotels or car rentals here if you have (or are seeking) elite statusMost hotel and rental car loyalty programs have a clause that says they don't need to recognize your elite status or provide credit toward earning status if you didn't book directly with their company. Thus, consider how much this means to you if you have or are working on elite status. Booking with Citi's travel portal may mean forfeiting hotel room upgrades or "skip the line" privileges when picking up a rental car.

What are you trading these benefits for? Consider whether it's worth it to you.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/citi-travel-portal/
Old Apr 16, 2023, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Citi allows cardholders to store airline and hotel loyalty numbers in a Profile, but Marriott is missing from the list of possible numbers..

Looks like no IHG either... Choice, Hilton, and Wyndham were the only hotel chains I saw (tons of airlines though)
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: TP Gold; IB Oro; G3 Diamond; AD Diamond; LA Plat.; HH Diamond; IHG Diam Amb; Marriott Plat.
Unhappy Portal malfunction

I have both a Prestige and a Premier cards. The travel portal is only letting me use the Premier. When I click on "Use a different card" at https://search.travel.citi.com/member/accounts, it does not let me switch to Prestige. So, no 4th night free bookings...
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:53 pm

Been looking at summer bookings for hotels and car rentals, but nothing appealing so far:
  • Hotel selection is quite different from booking.com. Citi Portal will recognize some hotel names (they show up in the auto-complete), but then they will simply not appear in the search results, or show no availability.
  • Room selection is also quite different. Citi Portal will pull different rates for the same room type. For example, perhaps one room type is actually available, but the Citi Portal will show it 3-4 times in slightly different ways.
  • Sometimes you add a room to your cart, only to be told that the room is no longer available.
  • Taxes and fees are not included, and the actual total can jump up significantly when you add a room to cart. But sometimes not.
  • Lack of detail / options for car rentals. Citi Portal doesn't specify whether the car is manual or automatic transmission -- big distinction in Europe. No options for insurance coverage, car seats, cross-border travel, etc. Some car rental companies charge a much higher fee for these options if you request them at the counter instead of pre-booking online.
Basically finding it very hard to get value out of either the 10x point bonus or even the $100 Premier credit.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:36 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Is it just me, or is it impossible to search flights via the new portal? I wanted to check rates and it kept dumping me back to the hotel search...
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:47 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I can search for flights, but my test itinerary returned results that are simply wrong.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
I agree that searching flights on the Citi portal, it seems to be missing lots of flights that Google flights says exist, from many major carriers. Also, asking for only First or Business, I only get mixed itinerary results that in no way satisfy my desired criteria.

I guess I'm glad that Citi has something back up for travel bookings, but I don't have a lot of faith in the results I see on their portal right now. If it were my business, I would have left the portal closed before putting up something as useless as what they have now.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 2:40 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Uhh....when trying to book a 4-night stay in Maui it only applies my 4th Night Free when booking the more expensive (NON-prepaid) rate....

WTH????
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I was excited about the Booking.com change, so far I find it to be absolutely terrible.

I'm looking to book an intra-Europe flight in Business class, between Bordeaux and Hamburg, and the only option that shows up in the search results is Iberia? If I switch to Economy class, then AF/KL appears. There are tons of carriers that offer service between these cities.

I really hope this is a glitch, otherwise it makes the ThankYou Travel Portal a useless feature.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by A4K
I had cancelled a 4th night under the old website for 2023, but notice it did not give me my credit back for an additional stay. Do I need to call for that or will I never get that one back because of the teo different systems.
Did you have this resolved? I have the same issues now. Called cxloyalty since they did the cancelled booking for me, but they said I still have two 4th night free left despite I should have only one.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:50 pm

I was able to get a cheaper rate from the portal on a Marriott hotel and same rate for a Hilton Hotel
Old May 1, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Originally Posted by UNITED959
While I was excited about the Booking.com change, so far I find it to be absolutely terrible.

I'm looking to book an intra-Europe flight in Business class, between Bordeaux and Hamburg, and the only option that shows up in the search results is Iberia? If I switch to Economy class, then AF/KL appears. There are tons of carriers that offer service between these cities.

I really hope this is a glitch, otherwise it makes the ThankYou Travel Portal a useless feature.

No interest in wanting to defend the new site -- but why would you want to use the Citi portal for airline bookings versus getting the same amount of points and better support in the case of an issue (or change desired on your end) by booking directly with the airline?
Old May 4, 2023, 3:44 am

Really disappointed. Is anyone finding decent pricing?

Researching a summer trip to Amsterdam. Looks like the Booking portal inflates the nightly rate to cover their cost of "offering" 4th night free, and then some. It would cost about $500 more to book with my Citi 4th night "free" vs with the hotel directly (Kimpton DeWitt, for which I'd booked a cancellable stay while waiting for the stupid Citi portal to open).

Ugh. Will keep pricing out other options, but what a headache.

4NF was literally the *only* benefit that we used these cards for. But if you now have to pay extra to use this "discount", why bother?
355F1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.