Applied Citi AA card. Got 3 in the mail??

Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Applied Citi AA card. Got 3 in the mail??

Applied Citi AA card. Got 3 in the mail?? All in my name and diff. credit limits/dates.

I just activated the 1st one for now. B/f I contact Citi not sure if I can get 3 X bonus?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by vickh
Applied Citi AA card. Got 3 in the mail?? All in my name and diff. credit limits/dates.

I just activated the 1st one for now. B/f I contact Citi not sure if I can get 3 X bonus?
Even if somehow it posted, I suspect it would be clawed back in the near future. Personally, I'd worry more about my credit file!
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Even if somehow it posted, I suspect it would be clawed back in the near future. Personally, I'd worry more about my credit file!
yep. Looks like they manually checked and approved twice.. Wonder if I should bother disputing?

What to know

1. Good news! It's a temporary ding and scores usually bounce back in 3 months.
  2. Plan ahead and minimize your hard inquiries at least 9-12 months before trying to get a mortgage or big loan (which i might)

Inquiry details

• CBNA Jun 27, 2022
  • CBNA Jun 25, 2022
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Not related to CitiBank, but I had a Chase card application go pending after filling out the particulars.

Somehow, when I logged back in it re-applied for the card - and both applications ended up approving. 2 unique card numbers and 2 unique cards on my online account access page.

I thought their system would catch it, but never did. Got the SUB for both, 120K Chase points for me!

I would try and meet the minimum spend on both if you could - best case you get 3 SUB, worst case you just get the RDM for the extra spend on card #2 and #3.
You can cancel extra cards and dump its credit limit into the other card when you want to downsize the wallet.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Send me one. Iíll be happy to use it on your behalf.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This question isn’t really related to AA or AAdvantage as much as it’s about Citi and what appears to be an issue on their side. As such, I will move this thread over to the forum more closely aligned to that topic.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Send me one. Iíll be happy to use it on your behalf.
sure as long as you pay the bill

Back to topic. I'll try to use all 3 and see if I get bonus. Wonder when they check, at application or at posting? Hope it's like the Chase example above. Really wanted the $400 AA $ CB deal, but I'll take 75K miles X 3
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:34 pm

Back to topic. I'll try to use all 3 and see if I get bonus. Wonder when they check, at application or at posting? Hope it's like the Chase example above. Really wanted the $400 AA $ CB deal, but I'll take 75K miles X 3
Do you see the bonus meter on all 3 cards when you go to AAdvantage Miles > View Details in the Citi app?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ValentineC
Do you see the bonus meter on all 3 cards when you go to AAdvantage Miles > View Details in the Citi app?
yep. will report back if it actually posts..
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

yep. will report back if it actually posts..
Got all 3! Hope they don't claw back b/c I might cancel/reverse the last $3k purchase. (i know the 3k miles will but will the bonus?)
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And hopefully AA is no longer shutting anyone down anymore, because they were mostly shutting down people a couple years ago who got just 2 AA card signup bonuses in "too short a time", often due to errors/loopholes on Citi's part.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And hopefully AA is no longer shutting anyone down anymore, because they were mostly shutting down people a couple years ago who got just 2 AA card signup bonuses in "too short a time", often due to errors/loopholes on Citi's part.
hmm did AA reverse or lock?

doesn't Citi pay AA for these miles? and the bonus miles don't count for status either. I do need to merge this USAir account to AA, but I will wait given your info.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm did AA reverse or lock?

doesn't Citi pay AA for these miles? and the bonus miles don't count for status either. I do need to merge this USAir account to AA, but I will wait given your info.
Please see this thread:

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

All I know about this is what I learned from reading that thread. I've never heard of anyone getting their account unlocked after it was locked for that reason, and some people were notified that their accounts were locked while others only realized after they tried to use miles they had.

One thing that I gleaned from that thread: It's possible that Citi did one sweep (of other accounts) after they found "suspicious" activity somehow in one person's account.

So what you want to avoid is asking AA to do anything that may cause them to look at your account closely, if you have multiple signup bonuses posting back to back.

Also, if you can sprinkle other earnings (AA Dining, AA Shopping. etc) in between the signup bonuses, it might help. Alaska airlines also did shutdowns, but apparently just for people who only earned signup bonuses back to back with nothing else in between; people who had other Alaska miles earnings in between the signup bonus earnings on their account were not shut down. The more different entries you have in your account between signup bonuses, the less obvious sign-up bonuses being "back to back" will be.
vickh likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please see this thread:

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

All I know about this is what I learned from reading that thread. I've never heard of anyone getting their account unlocked after it was locked for that reason, and some people were notified that their accounts were locked while others only realized after they tried to use miles they had.

One thing that I gleaned from that thread: It's possible that Citi did one sweep (of other accounts) after they found "suspicious" activity somehow in one person's account.

So what you want to avoid is asking AA to do anything that may cause them to look at your account closely, if you have multiple signup bonuses posting back to back.

Also, if you can sprinkle other earnings (AA Dining, AA Shopping. etc) in between the signup bonuses, it might help. Alaska airlines also did shutdowns, but apparently just for people who only earned signup bonuses back to back with nothing else in between; people who had other Alaska miles earnings in between the signup bonus earnings on their account were not shut down. The more different entries you have in your account between signup bonuses, the less obvious sign-up bonuses being "back to back" will be.
sounds good will keep a low profile. I will do a few shopping things thru aa portal. Won't merge for a while. My main reason to merge would be the lifetime miler status (which AA blocked me b/c they stopped counting banking miles ) They do count credit miles though?

Last edited by vickh; Nov 27, 2022 at 3:52 pm
Old Dec 3, 2022, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sounds good will keep a low profile. I will do a few shopping things thru aa portal. Won't merge for a while. My main reason to merge would be the lifetime miler status (which AA blocked me b/c they stopped counting banking miles ) They do count credit miles though?
No, other than during a special promotion they did during that past year or two, credit card miles have not counted toward lifetime status since Dec 2011 (before then, all earned miles counted toward AA lifetime status, and AA was the last airlines to allow earning all of all miles to count toward lifetime status). Only miles from flying count since then AFAIK (with the short-term exception of a promo in the last year or two). See this thread for more (including some discussions about merging AA and US accounts):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.