Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Where can I find out if a Merchant Codes counts as home improvement?

Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:02 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb

I have a bonus offer of 10x ThankYou points on one of my Citi (SEARS) Cards.

The merchant uses the code Services-CARPENTERING CONTRACTORS based on a previous purchase there (It's a barn door store).

How can I find out if this is going to be get me the 10x points for sure?

T&C in email:

​​​​​​Terms and Conditions
1This promotion is not transferable; is only for use with the Sears Mastercard listed in this email; is subject to credit approval and the Citi ThankYou Rewards Terms and Conditions for Sears Card Accounts located at thankyou.com. To qualify for this promotion, you must activate this promotion before the end of the promotional period. You have the opportunity to receive 10X Bonus ThankYou Points on eligible home improvement purchases which total $1,000 or more (up to a maximum total of 12,500 Bonus ThankYou Points for this offer) and which are made with your Sears Mastercard between 11/01/21 (or the date you activate this offer, whichever is later) through 12/31/21. Only purchases made after activation will apply toward receiving your Bonus ThankYou Points. These Bonus ThankYou Points are in addition to the 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on purchases that you already earn with your card.

Home improvement purchases are transactions made at home improvement retail stores, paint/wallpaper stores, window treatment stores, carpeting/flooring stores, building materials/lumber stores, lawn and garden supply centers, hardware stores, home appliance and furniture stores. Purchases not eligible for this offer include purchases made at discount stores, supercenters, department stores, wholesale distributors, warehouse clubs, book stores, grocery stores or special events.

Merchants must submit charges under the appropriate merchant category code (“MCC”) or industry code to be an eligible purchase under this offer. Merchants are assigned a MCC and/or industry code, which is determined in accordance with Mastercard/Visa/American Express procedures based on the kinds of products and services the merchants primarily sell. We don’t control the assignment of these codes and are not responsible for the codes used by merchants. When you use your card to make a purchase, we are provided a MCC and/or industry code for that purchase. We group similar codes into categories for purposes of making offers. Sometimes you may expect a purchase to fit within an offer category, but if the code assigned to the merchant wasn’t grouped into that category, your purchase will not be eligible for the offer. Please also note, purchases made through mobile/wireless technology may not be an eligible purchase depending on how the technology is set up to process the purchase. We reserve the exclusive right to determine which purchases are eligible for this offer. All purchases must be made during the promotional period.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:21 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
Services-CARPENTERING CONTRACTORS....
....home improvement retail stores, paint/wallpaper stores, window treatment stores, carpeting/flooring stores, building materials/lumber stores, lawn and garden supply centers, hardware stores, home appliance and furniture stores. ...
I would not expect it to qualify. Your merchant is selling a service, while all of the categories listed by Citi are businesses selling merchandise. i realize there is overlap, they all sell some merchandise and some services, but it's the classification that matters, not what you buy. However, the only way to know "for sure" is to ask Citi.
355F1 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:03 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
I would not expect it to qualify. Your merchant is selling a service, while all of the categories listed by Citi are businesses selling merchandise. i realize there is overlap, they all sell some merchandise and some services, but it's the classification that matters, not what you buy. However, the only way to know "for sure" is to ask Citi.
I will send them a secure message.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:13 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Sent a Secure Message and they replied that if is not in used within the Home Improvement category.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:01 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It's times like that that I wish Flyertalk had opted for a Helpful button, rather than a Like button. I Like that you were able to get a prompt answer from Citi. I Like more that you took the time to share the answer with us. I do Not Like the answer. Sorry.
sdsearch, hurnik and ithinkurdumb like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:51 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
It's times like that that I wish Flyertalk had opted for a Helpful button, rather than a Like button. I Like that you were able to get a prompt answer from Citi. I Like more that you took the time to share the answer with us. I do Not Like the answer. Sorry.
They literally responded in ten minutes. Shocked!
sdsearch likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
They literally responded in ten minutes. Shocked!
How do you send them a secure message? Is it different than the chat option available in the app?

I find the chat feature to be completely useless. I've inquired a couple times about a few different issues, the last being purchases not qualifying bonus spending. Their responses have always been quoting the terms and saying that I need to call the number on the back of my card.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:31 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
How do you send them a secure message? Is it different than the chat option available in the app?

I find the chat feature to be completely useless. I've inquired a couple times about a few different issues, the last being purchases not qualifying bonus spending. Their responses have always been quoting the terms and saying that I need to call the number on the back of my card.
Top right corner of log in page. Help & Contact-->Secure Messages.
ithinkurdumb likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.