Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Citi Virtual Account Numbers as of Sept 2021

Changes to Citi Virtual Account Numbers as of Sept 2021

Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:57 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,385
Changes to Citi Virtual Account Numbers as of Sept 2021

My new Virtual Account Numbers "experience" is activated. No more pop ups, it's all within the web pages.
Able to make unlimited new VAN's with expiration dates as far out as 2 years.

One interesting and MAJOR change is the credit limit for the card is now a DAILY limit.
If you ever used VAN to prevent an online biller from renewing you, you'll have to come back to the VAN after the initial charge and reduce the daily limit to something like $1 or whatever you paid to start a subscription will get through later

Other things I notice:
nicknames available for each number you create
easier to see what was charged to what number (better reporting and searching of transactions)

Overall a big improvement to the experience.
Enjoy!
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2021, 7:01 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 8,197
The interface is nice, but the "daily" limit is indeed annoying.

The expiry can't be set to the current month (claims 9/21 is "in the past"), so as you've said if the idea is to avoid repeat payments it's only going to work if they are more than 1-2 months apart - or if you cancel the number as you've suggested.
docbert is offline  
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:29 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,385
Good news: 2 of my credit cards with citi had Virtual Account Numbers reinstated as a benefit that has been removed the past 2-3 years. I'm thrilled. These were both American Airlines mileage earning cards.
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:17 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,499
I believe that cancelling a VAN will not stop a charge from going through, once the first charge is authorized. The idea of reducing the daily limit after the first purchase is worthwhile, but needs to be tested. No blind assumptions should be made on how a Citi product will ultimately work.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Dec 27, 2021, 5:52 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,797
is this on double cash and custom cash ?
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TPE, SFO, PAE
Posts: 893
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I believe that cancelling a VAN will not stop a charge from going through, once the first charge is authorized. The idea of reducing the daily limit after the first purchase is worthwhile, but needs to be tested. No blind assumptions should be made on how a Citi product will ultimately work.
Back when VAN still ran on Adobe Air, I had multiple experiences on merchant making a single charge exceeding the $ limit. Also the fraud department was able to close a VAN without issuing me a new card.
MaxVO likes this.
ithinkurdumb is online now  
Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:59 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,385
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I believe that cancelling a VAN will not stop a charge from going through, once the first charge is authorized. The idea of reducing the daily limit after the first purchase is worthwhile, but needs to be tested. No blind assumptions should be made on how a Citi product will ultimately work.
to close out a VAN, you just go to the VAN on the website and click "DEACTIVATE"
it's pretty easy
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:16 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,499
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
to close out a VAN, you just go to the VAN on the website and click "DEACTIVATE"
Again, this may not be enough to stop charges to a VAN, e.g. see Post 6 for ithinkurdumb's experiences.
We need at least single DP to confirm that a "closed" VAN bounces new charges.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:18 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 8,197
Originally Posted by MaxVO
We need at least single DP to confirm that a "closed" VAN bounces new charges.
Easy enough to test, so I did...

I just created a VAN with a $10 limit. I then went to Comcast and paid $3 off my bill using that VAN. It was approved, and immediately showed up as a Pending transaction on both my credit card and on the VAN.

I then Deactivated the VAN, waited about a minute, and attempted a 2nd payment using the same card, this time for $4. The payment was declined with the reason :
Card Processor Decline (DO NOT HONOR)

Neither the VAN or my main CC transaction list show any mention of the $4 transaction. My presumption is that the $3 charge will go through without issue (as it's already approved and pending), but the $4 one attempted after the card was deactivated clearly won't.

So yes, deactivating a VAN does stop any future charges - but almost certainly won't stop any that are already pre-authorized (and nor should it!).
MaxVO and LovePrunes like this.
docbert is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:31 am
  #10  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,177
Originally Posted by docbert
....deactivating a VAN does stop any future charges .
Will it stop recurring charges? Merchants who offer subscriptions, memberships and similar can code transactions in a way that bypasses changes such as replacement card numbers and expiration dates.
MaxVO likes this.
mia is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:10 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,499
Originally Posted by docbert
... Deactivated the VAN, waited about a minute, and attempted a 2nd payment using the same card, this time for $4. The payment was declined with the reason : Card Processor Decline
Thanks for the DP. It remains uncertain how the new VAN's will work with charges that resemble periodic/recurring billing.
Originally Posted by mia
Will it stop recurring charges? Merchants who offer subscriptions, memberships and similar can code transactions in a way that bypasses changes such as replacement card numbers and expiration dates.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:24 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,385
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Thanks for the DP. It remains uncertain how the new VAN's will work with charges that resemble periodic/recurring billing.
For YEARS I've used VANs for recurring charges I dont want to have to remember to cancel and no merchant I've ever dealt with online has ever "coded transactions in a way that bypasses changes such as replacement card numbers and expiration dates." Dating websites, online backups, music subscriptions, adult oriented websites etc.

Has this sneaky merchant thing happened to you with VAN's? Or is it more a theory that "it could happen?" I've never heard of a merchant somehow getting your replacement card number. Regardless, it's quite a difference between a replacement card number and a card number that is no long valid and doesn't have a replacment number.

My data points for myself give me assurance the VAN will work as intended: when you pay someone online in a situation you don't want them to have full access to your account. But if you or others have recent experience of nefarious merchants behaving to the contrary, it'd be good to hear it.
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:39 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TPE, SFO, PAE
Posts: 893
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
For YEARS I've used VANs for recurring charges I dont want to have to remember to cancel and no merchant I've ever dealt with online has ever "coded transactions in a way that bypasses changes such as replacement card numbers and expiration dates." Dating websites, online backups, music subscriptions, adult oriented websites etc.

Has this sneaky merchant thing happened to you with VAN's? Or is it more a theory that "it could happen?" I've never heard of a merchant somehow getting your replacement card number. Regardless, it's quite a difference between a replacement card number and a card number that is no long valid and doesn't have a replacment number.

My data points for myself give me assurance the VAN will work as intended: when you pay someone online in a situation you don't want them to have full access to your account. But if you or others have recent experience of nefarious merchants behaving to the contrary, it'd be good to hear it.
My experience has been that expiration date and disabling VAN work as intended, but $ limit does not.

Again itís back in the Adobe Air days, when itís just $ limit instead of daily $ limit. Perhaps Citi finally fixed it.
ithinkurdumb is online now  
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:25 am
  #14  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,177
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
.I've never heard of a merchant somehow getting your replacement card number.
This isn't anything nefarious, it's a feature offered by the card networks

Automatic updates keep payments on track

Nothing is more frustrating than having a card rejected because of a new expiration date or account number. Mastercard Automatic Billing Updater allows account-on-file information to be automatically updated, so payments can continue seamlessly.
https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/busi...-services.html
mia is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:14 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 8,197
Originally Posted by mia
This isn't anything nefarious, it's a feature offered by the card networks

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/busi...-services.html
This feature makes no sense for a VAN, so based on that I think it's pretty clear it wouldn't happen.

For this to work, Citibank would need to submit the old and new card details to the Mastercard ABU database. Firstly, I can't see them doing this for a VAN because it just doesn't make sense on several levels. But more importantly, what "new" number would they be giving? There isn't one.
docbert is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.