Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Citi Virtual Account Numbers as of Sept 2021

Changes to Citi Virtual Account Numbers as of Sept 2021

Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
This isn't anything nefarious, it's a feature offered by the card networks

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/busi...-services.html
Originally Posted by docbert
This feature makes no sense for a VAN, so based on that I think it's pretty clear it wouldn't happen.

For this to work, Citibank would need to submit the old and new card details to the Mastercard ABU database. Firstly, I can't see them doing this for a VAN because it just doesn't make sense on several levels. But more importantly, what "new" number would they be giving? There isn't one.
agreed. this is intended to solve a different issue
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:58 pm

Is anyone else having problems using VAN on certain website? I've tried making purchases on ebay using my VAN but the transaction is rejected. Got the transaction completed when I used a physical card. Tried the same VAN on Amazon and it went through. I asked CITI about it and they said it was the merchant that rejected the transaction and they didn't see anything wrong on their end. Is it possible that merchants can see that a card is a virtual card rather than an actual card?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:58 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by aerialfish
Is anyone else having problems using VAN on certain website? I've tried making purchases on ebay using my VAN but the transaction is rejected. Got the transaction completed when I used a physical card. Tried the same VAN on Amazon and it went through. I asked CITI about it and they said it was the merchant that rejected the transaction and they didn't see anything wrong on their end. Is it possible that merchants can see that a card is a virtual card rather than an actual card?
I did run into this the other day with an online Bevmo purchase- first time itís happened to me
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by aerialfish
Yes. Same issue last night.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just in case anyone is hitting the same problem I was...

For the past few weeks I've been unable to use the Virtual Account Number part of the website. Any time I tried to display or modify an existing card number, or create a new one it would just silently fail.

Decided to do some digging tonight and discovered it's failing with the following error :
{type: "error", code: "mfaRequired", details: "MFA is required"}

I have MFA (aka 2FA) enabled on my account, but I normally use the "Sign on with QR code" option using the app, which negates the need to use MFA to login - but obviously the VAN part of the website isn't handling that correctly.

Workaround was to logout, and log back in with a username/password, which triggered a 2FA and then I was able to create a VAN. Issue has been reported, so hopefully they will fix it soon.
dw and _kurt like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.