Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Card closed for new applicants. Information here: https://citi.com/citiprestige
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige discontinued (USA).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
A couple more articles about the Prestige discontinuation popped up today or yesterday with official Citi statements quoted within (Bloomberg and TPG). Wonder if this is any indication of progress toward a new card?
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
The extended warranty on this card is simply incredible and worth the annual fee alone if you buy any sort of expensive appliances or equipment.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by chewy3
The extended warranty on this card is simply incredible and worth the annual fee alone if you buy any sort of expensive appliances or equipment.
The extended warranty on the card is indeed amazing, but it is also available on multiple other Citi cards.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Does Citi (like Chase, for example) have a history of supporting legacy cards for awhile after they’ve been discontinued? If the rumored new card really is a different product and not a relaunch of the Prestige, I wonder how long existing cardholders will be able to keep the Prestige before being forced into a product change.
It's hard to say. Citi has a history of supporting legacy cards for quite a while after they've been discontinued, but those cards generally had no or low annual fees and few if any non-earning benefits. In addition to ones mentioned above, I had the no-fee Citi AT&T Universal card for well over a decade after it was officially discontinued.

However, the Prestige may be a much more "complex" card than any that I can think of that Citi has discontinued and continued supporting for exiting users in the past.

So I'm not sure how much you can use Citi history with much "simpler" cards for predicting what might happen with the Prestige.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 3:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
....Prestige may be a much more "complex" card than any that I can think of that Citi has discontinued and continued supporting
Some Citi Chairman card accounts still exist, and it was the forerunner of Prestige.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's hard to say. Citi has a history of supporting legacy cards for quite a while after they've been discontinued, but those cards generally had no or low annual fees and few if any non-earning benefits. In addition to ones mentioned above, I had the no-fee Citi AT&T Universal card for well over a decade after it was officially discontinued.

However, the Prestige may be a much more "complex" card than any that I can think of that Citi has discontinued and continued supporting for exiting users in the past.

So I'm not sure how much you can use Citi history with much "simpler" cards for predicting what might happen with the Prestige.
Hopefully, this is just temporary and they'll bring back the Prestige in the near future. I don't want Chase and AMEX to be the only players left in this segment of the market.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by dw
Does Citi (like Chase, for example) have a history of supporting legacy cards for awhile after they’ve been discontinued? If the rumored new card really is a different product and not a relaunch of the Prestige, I wonder how long existing cardholders will be able to keep the Prestige before being forced into a product change.
I started way back when it was a Chairman card. Then they gave me the option of a MC or AX Chairman. My choice was MC which ended up being converted to the Prestige while the people who chose AX stayed as Chairman.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by mia
Some Citi Chairman card accounts still exist, and it was the forerunner of Prestige.
I never see any posts to see how watered down that version has became, do you?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I never see any posts to see how watered down that version has became, do you?
No clue if any of the "juicy" benefits are still on the card, but I believe it has/had a 3% FX fee, which is a big downer.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
Are you still ever able to make use of the current 4NF feature through the portal? It's very hit and miss (compared to the lowest direct or OTA+coupon/cashback portal prices I'm able to find), but "a degree" of savings is possible if you look hard enough.
I have not seen any way to get any value out of the 4NF during the year 2021, has anyone else?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I have not seen any way to get any value out of the 4NF during the year 2021, has anyone else?
I've gotten little to no value from 4NF since they changed over to the Thank You Portal.
355F1, akr1970akr, fly046 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, 5yr CK, Flying Blue, Delta, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Used my two stays on hotels that I have gone to over the last 20 years. Prices were equal to or less that hotel's sites. Would agree that the TYP website pricing per night can be so high to make it not worth while but not the case in these particular cases and other stays I looked at. So you have to pick your spots. Neither hotel is part of a rewards program.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Amex's model is much more able to sustain accounts which get paid off quickly, what with the higher swipe fees and a more evolved coupon book and marketing access to cardholders implementation.

The emphasis in MR on transfer partners (fortified a little by Amex's global cobrand footprint) vs. cash back also gives them an advantage in that segment, as does the inertia from people who use the Platinum for everyday spend and don't in any way, shape, or form attempt to maximize benefits.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
I've gotten little to no value from 4NF since they changed over to the Thank You Portal.
I priced a room today, admittedly in a small town so not an expensive property, where i did need to stay enough nights and it would have saved me a whopping $17 over booking directly with AAA or corporate rate.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:59 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
With the confirmed changes of the AMEX Platinum (last month) and Chase Sapphire Reserve (today)......what in the world is Citi going to do for the higher-end credit card market.....???

I can't believe we have zero rumors from the Internet yet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.