Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Citi “Custom Cash” card - 5% in top eligible category

New Citi “Custom Cash” card - 5% in top eligible category

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Not saying that Citi should allow this or want this but it is totally ok to do this with Chase. It is pretty common for churners to have multiple Freedoms.
The 5% is probably costing them money so they want to minimize their costs.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I think the grocery category is really the only one that makes sense unless you have very specific expenses. I think most families spend at least $500/mo at grocery stores. Maybe you spend $1000 and have two cards in 2-player mode. But I think the other categories, either people spend way under $500 or way over $500 in a given month. Groceries is easiest category to maximize regularly.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 5:46 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by jags86
I think the grocery category is really the only one that makes sense unless you have very specific expenses. I think most families spend at least $500/mo at grocery stores. Maybe you spend $1000 and have two cards in 2-player mode. But I think the other categories, either people spend way under $500 or way over $500 in a given month. Groceries is easiest category to maximize regularly.
I agree with this. Right now I use the CSR for dining and entertainment and a BofA Premium card with bonus for most other things which gets me 2.62% and then change that out for any bonus categories that are out there. If I change out my Double Cash card for this one and just use it on groceries ( I am good for around $500 a month) I would get a free $142.8 for trading out a card I don't use. Not gonna make me rich but it is free money.

Last edited by abk; Jun 11, 2021 at 6:30 pm
Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by abk
I agree with this. Right now I use the CSR for dining and entertainment and a BofA Premium card with bonus for most other things which gets me 2.62% and then change that out for any bonus categories that are out there. If I change out my Double Cash card for this one and just use it on groceries ( I am good for around $500 a month) I would get a free $142.8 for trading out a card I don't use. Not gonna make me rich but it is free money.
If you can find saver award availability and have a Premier card, 30k TYP is 2 RT flights from mainland US to Hawaii. If you double it up and earn 60k TYP/yr, it’s 2x business class mainland to Hawaii. If (a big if) you can find saver award availability.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I don't spend $500 at the supermarket currently as a single household. However, I'd be fine with throwing in various gift cards with my purchases (Amazon, etc) to max out on 5x for stuff I'd buy anyway elsewhere.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
It's not hard to spend $500/month on groceries for even a small family. I agree that category makes the most sense.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
You both bring up great points, and I agree this card is not worth a 5/24 slot on it's own. One thing that has me concerned, and has yet to be addressed, is whether this card will be part of Citi's 24 month Thank You bonus restriction.

As far as I know Citi's terms states that you can only get one Thank You bonus every 24 months, and some have reported that product changes reset the clock. In my case, I got the Prestige in May, 2019, converted to the Double Cash, June, 2020, and am planning to wait until summer 2022 to apply for the Premier to collect another 60,000 bonus, depending on what is offered at the time.

If someone applies for the "Custom Card" to get the $200 bonus, which is actually 20,000 Thank You points, they may be locking themselves out of a bonus on the Premier/Prestige and not even realize it. Of course, someone that got the Premier/Prestige within the last two years, could potentially apply for the "Custom" card and not be eligible for the $200 bonus, and not realize it until the application is already processed, since Citi won't notify you ahead of time.

Getting this card as a product change is the best strategy, since the signup bonuses on the AA/Premier/Prestige are substantially larger. I'll keep my Double Cash for large non-bonus spend and for everything else that I don't have a card for, but this is nice option to have for Gas, Groceries, or Restaurants if I decide to cancel any Amex cards that have annual fees.

In my mind, the "Custom" card makes the Rewards+ card less valuable, but I won't consider getting either, until after I earn my next Thank You bonus next year.
I wonder if applying for both the Citi Premier and Custom Cash cards on the same day could bypass the 24 month Thank You bonus restriction ? One benefit of this strategy is that both applications could use up one inquiry instead of two.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:06 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... Citi's terms states that you can only get one Thank You bonus every 24 months....
Where do you see this?

The Premier terms mention specific cards, but there is no blanket language covering ThankYou bonuses for other cards: Bonus ThankYou® Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+®, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier® or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these accounts, in the past 24 months.

The Custom Cash terms do not mention any other cards: Bonus is not available if you received one for opening a new Citi Custom Cash℠ Card account in the past 48 months
diesteldorf and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by mia
Where do you see this?

The Premier terms mention specific cards, but there is no blanket language covering ThankYou bonuses for other cards: Bonus ThankYou® Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+®, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier® or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these accounts, in the past 24 months.

The Custom Cash terms do not mention any other cards: Bonus is not available if you received one for opening a new Citi Custom Cash℠ Card account in the past 48 months
Mia,

Thanks for taking the time to go through the terms and provide clarification, Prior to the launch of the Custom card, the only Citi cards that earned Thank You points were the Rewards+, Preferred, Premier, Prestige, with the Double Cash separate, since Thank You points are not the default earning currency with that card.

I think I got most of my information from here: https://onemileatatime.com/citi-card-24-month-rule/ or a similar site.

Based on what you posted, they are treating the Citi Custom card and it's bonus as completely separate and not subject to the 24 month rule, so my doubts have been put to rest. However, I'll still probably pass on opening a new account, but will probably get this card when they start allowing product changes.

As always, Mia, your contributions to the Flyertalk community are deeply appreciated.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:51 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....Prior to the launch of the Custom card, the only Citi cards that earned Thank You points were ....
There is also the free version of the AT&T Access card: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/ci...ss-credit-card
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by lsquare
It's not hard to spend $500/month on groceries for even a small family. I agree that category makes the most sense.
Yeah, just buy one VGC, and you're done.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
There is also the free version of the AT&T Access card: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/ci...ss-credit-card
Also Sears, Citi Thankyou Business card.
mia likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:29 pm

Does this means, that if I connect this card to an existing TYP account, I don't need Prestige anymore in order to cash all the points at 1cpp?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Does this means, that if I connect this card to an existing TYP account, I don't need Prestige anymore in order to cash all the points at 1cpp?
Unless I’m mistaken, all TYP are redeemable at $0.01/pt now regardless of what product you have.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:32 pm

If you can find saver award availability and have a Premier card, 30k TYP is 2 RT flights from mainland US to Hawaii. If you double it up and earn 60k TYP/yr, it’s 2x business class mainland to Hawaii. If (a big if) you can find saver award availability.
Which airline ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.