Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Old May 13, 2024, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
Several days later after approval.
Same offer arrived, new invitation number;
This is a mistake, right? Toss it...? __
This is NOT a 2 x 80Kmi = 160Kmi door opening ?!
Is it possible to use by others? looking to apply and seems to be the best offer !
Old May 20, 2024, 7:04 pm

Hoping someone can help me out here. I got the Citi AA Platinum card last March, and spent 20k on it before the end of 2023. My understanding is that there should be a "$125 American Airlines flight discount" once I've renewed the card; since I didn't cancel by now (~14 months later), where should be seeing this discount? Is it just a cumulative $125 in statement credits applied to AA spending on the card, or a code of some kind?
Old May 20, 2024, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by bpc3qh
Hoping someone can help me out here. I got the Citi AA Platinum card last March, and spent 20k on it before the end of 2023. My understanding is that there should be a "$125 American Airlines flight discount" once I've renewed the card; since I didn't cancel by now (~14 months later), where should be seeing this discount? Is it just a cumulative $125 in statement credits applied to AA spending on the card, or a code of some kind?
Originally Posted by hi-guy
The current product offersa $125 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card.
see post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36116832-post604.html for the actual mailed certficate you receive (and the accompanying restrictions and instructions how to use it)...about 10-12 weeks AFTER you pay your annual fee, which would hit around month 12 of having your card. You're basically looking at getting your $125 discount certificate mailed to you about 14-15 months from the time you open your card after you spend $20k on it in the first 12 months of having it.

So if you got it in March, you're probably looking at the certificate showing up in June or July in your mailbox.
mia and OrangeRange like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
see post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36116832-post604.html for the actual mailed certficate you receive (and the accompanying restrictions and instructions how to use it)...about 10-12 weeks AFTER you pay your annual fee, which would hit around month 12 of having your card. You're basically looking at getting your $125 discount certificate mailed to you about 14-15 months from the time you open your card after you spend $20k on it in the first 12 months of having it.

So if you got it in March, you're probably looking at the certificate showing up in June or July in your mailbox.
Got it, thanks.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by bpc3qh
Got it, thanks.
YW
i was skeptical waiting for mine that it'd ever show up, but i spoke by phone with a citi rep who spent a lot of time on the phone with me and researching it, and did the math for me (i was 5 months too early looking for it and convinced they'd forgotten about me) . Right at about the month he said i should expect to see it, it showed up in my mailbox...maybe even a month early. But it does come. Just have to be EXTREMELY patient that first year waiting.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
YW
i was skeptical waiting for mine that it'd ever show up, but i spoke by phone with a citi rep who spent a lot of time on the phone with me and researching it, and did the math for me (i was 5 months too early looking for it and convinced they'd forgotten about me) . Right at about the month he said i should expect to see it, it showed up in my mailbox...maybe even a month early. But it does come. Just have to be EXTREMELY patient that first year waiting.
It's exceptionally helpful to know that it's actually 14-15 months, rather than 12 months; means I'll likely have it in July or August rather than in April, I guess.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Hurry, don’t miss out on earning up to 2,500 AAdvantage® bonus miles

Per email received on 28-FEB:

Don't forget, you're already enrolled in this special offer! Use your Citi® / AAdvantage® card to earn 5 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent, up to 2,500 bonus miles, through March 31, 2024, on eligible purchases you make online.
Requirements met, but points have not been received. Anyone know the best way to track these down? (Call AAdvantage customer service? Call CITI customer service? ...)
Old May 27, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WannaTheater

Requirements met, but points have not been received. Anyone know the best way to track these down? (Call AAdvantage customer service? Call CITI customer service? ...)
Who sent the email and thus presumably sponsored the offer? I would contact them.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by WannaTheater

I had this offer through 5/31. I enrolled but decided not to participate. I would start with calling Citi because in my mind their reps may rather understand your question/ concern as Citi is the one who will confirm to AA that you met the spend requirements and trigger the bonus points, rather than AA reps who are most likely not familiar at all with credit card bonuses or with this offer in particular.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Who sent the email and thus presumably sponsored the offer? I would contact them.
The email came from American Airlines AAdvantage Program • [email protected], but as I said above I'm pretty sure front line AA reps will be clueless a to this offer unless I'm under estimating them.
Old May 27, 2024, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by friedablass

The email came from American Airlines AAdvantage Program • [email protected], but as I said above I'm pretty sure front line AA reps will be clueless a to this offer unless I'm under estimating them.
My experience with AA and Citi is limited, but when I had a recent issue with getting my Exec card LPs posted (I opened the account a week or so before 3/1, but had already passed the two thresholds), Citi agents were clue- and useless while the AA chat agent directed my chat session to an AAdvantage agent who understood what I was asking about, researched it, filed a ticket with the right backend group, and the LPs posted a few days later.

Is there a reason this is an either/or situation? I’d just file requests with both.
Old May 27, 2024, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
My experience with AA and Citi is limited, but when I had a recent issue with getting my Exec card LPs posted (I opened the account a week or so before 3/1, but had already passed the two thresholds), Citi agents were clue- and useless while the AA chat agent directed my chat session to an AAdvantage agent who understood what I was asking about, researched it, filed a ticket with the right backend group, and the LPs posted a few days later.

Is there a reason this is an either/or situation? I’d just file requests with both.
So my experience is probably even less than yours and what I think/ thought about who knows more or less about this was pure speculation. I don't think there's any either/or situation and the OP can and should file requests with both.
notquiteaff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.