Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mia
...A low limit forces a different pattern of spending, and keep you engaged with the card longer.
This held true while we were spending to earn the SUB which you are right we couldn't do with 1 or 2 single purchase, but once we hit it the card got shelved because it was just too frustrating to continue to use a card with just $1500 CL when we could easily use about $5k monthly. So even though I would have probably continued to use it for non bonused spend, I did not do so, due to the headache involved.

Their loss but also their choice to make.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
This held true while we were spending to earn the SUB which you are right we couldn't do with 1 or 2 single purchase, but once we hit it the card got shelved because it was just too frustrating to continue to use a card with just $1500 CL when we could easily use about $5k monthly. So even though I would have probably continued to use it for non bonused spend, I did not do so, due to the headache involved.

Their loss but also their choice to make.
That is my exact take on low limits. Through our businesses (legit) and personally we spend $20,000-25,000 a month. I would have to remember to use this card only for groceries or gas each month in fear of going over the credit limit. I pull out the Amex bus plat for most big spends with no fear of exceeding the credit limit. Their loss on the transaction fees. Card becomes worthless after the spend, except for luggage and boarding position.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Got a mailer with an 80'000 points SUB for the Platinum Select. Good offer?
Old Apr 19, 2024, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Got a mailer with an 80'000 points SUB for the Platinum Select. Good offer?
It's the highest SUB that I remember seeing for that particular card.
MDtR-Chicago and OrangeRange like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's the highest SUB that I remember seeing for that particular card.
Sounds as good as anything to me then!
Old Apr 20, 2024, 9:38 am

If I have never had a Citi Aadvantage Business card, I have had (and closed) a personal Citi Aadvantage card about 15 months ago; would I now be eligible to apply for the Aadvantage Business card and get the promo miles?
Old Apr 20, 2024, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by puchong
If I have never had a Citi Aadvantage Business card, I have had (and closed) a personal Citi Aadvantage card about 15 months ago; would I now be eligible to apply for the Aadvantage Business card and get the promo miles?
Business and Personal are unrelated.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 2:56 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
Another mailer with 70K offer $5K/5mos apply by 3/15/24 came
so will wait longer; seeing no better than 65K offers online
unless someone knows better
BAM! This week got mailed invitation,
80K miles $5K/5mos spend trigger;
instant approval...

You're Approved! Just one more thing...
Let's get your online access set up.
You'll then be able to track your card,
view your statement,
transfer funds and much more!
Create User ID...
OrangeRange likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:43 am

How do I know and find out when I had or received bonus on Citi AA BIZ card? Citi Card rep told me they don't know
Old Apr 21, 2024, 2:21 am

For the companion pass on the business card, can any cardholder be the primary traveller and use it with a random person? Or no?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:19 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
BAM! This week got mailed invitation,
80K miles $5K/5mos spend trigger;
instant approval...
Several days later after approval.
Same offer arrived, new invitation number;
This is a mistake, right? Toss it...? __
This is NOT a 2 x 80Kmi = 160Kmi door opening ?!
Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:20 pm

Several days later after approval.
Same offer arrived, new invitation number;
This is a mistake, right? Toss it...? __
This is NOT a 2 x 80Kmi = 160Kmi door opening ?!
Since you've already applied and been approved, you won't be approved a second time. In my experience, it takes a few weeks for them to stop mailing you offers for the card once you've had it.
Old May 9, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: spg gold
I have a Citi executive card am I eligible for the sub on a personal card ?
Old May 10, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Sorry if this has been recently asked/answered but I didn't see it. I got in on the 75K bonus for the personal platinum in March. I hit the spend requirement a couple weeks ago and the Citi website is showing the bonus is earned. My second statement should be closing on Monday or Tuesday next week. Can I expect to see the bonus points hit my AA balance in the next week or so? I know the website says 8-10 weeks but they usually seem to be quicker. I am working on a trip for four in early July and I might need these miles to get what I want. Thanks in advance.
Old May 11, 2024, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by tev9999
Sorry if this has been recently asked/answered but I didn't see it. I got in on the 75K bonus for the personal platinum in March. I hit the spend requirement a couple weeks ago and the Citi website is showing the bonus is earned. My second statement should be closing on Monday or Tuesday next week. Can I expect to see the bonus points hit my AA balance in the next week or so? I know the website says 8-10 weeks but they usually seem to be quicker. I am working on a trip for four in early July and I might need these miles to get what I want. Thanks in advance.
From my experience, it’ll hit with when your statement closes next week when Citi adds all miles earned in the statement month to your account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.