Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The two cards, Platinum Select World MC and Executive World Elite MC, are two different products. Don’t think having received bonus for one impacts eligibility for the bonus for the other. I would HUCA.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The two cards, Platinum Select World MC and Executive World Elite MC, are two different products. Don’t think having received bonus for one impacts eligibility for the bonus for the other.
Correct.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:37 am

Does anyone know if the $125 credit you get from spending $20k a year on the citi card can be used to pay taxes on an award flight? (I will be booking an international flight were the taxes will be that much for the three of us)

thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Scotttyd
Does anyone know if the $125 credit you get from spending $20k a year on the citi card can be used to pay taxes on an award flight? (I will be booking an international flight were the taxes will be that much for the three of us)

thanks!
Unfortunately the terms specifically say you can't use the $125 certificate to pay anything on an award ticket.
I took photos of the cert and term/conditions without my personal info so everyone could read how they work

the biggest surprising and NASTY restriction in my opinion is this

"If travel booked with the flight discount is cancelled or changed by the credit cardmember, the flight discount will be forfeited and the credit cardmember will be responsible for any applicable fare difference and the applicable change fee."
better be darn sure you will be on this exact flight and date or you lose it.

Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:06 am

Thank you for the photos!

Despite the terms, someone reported canceling and getting the $125 back as 2 credits. There's a separate thread about this benefit.
mia likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:16 pm

Wonder how long this 75K Plat World Elite "limited time" offer is going to last. Do they generally keep it alive for a couple of months, or is it typically just a couple of weeks before they pull it? The T&Cs don't mention an expiration date.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by gq_dq
Wonder how long this 75K Plat World Elite "limited time" offer is going to last. Do they generally keep it alive for a couple of months, or is it typically just a couple of weeks before they pull it? The T&Cs don't mention an expiration date.
The offer I saw said it expires 4/14.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
The offer I saw said it expires 4/14.
Great! Will bite.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Yup I saw that, but I wasn't sure if the Executive World Elite card was part of that. The agent said it was, but I don't see why the Executive World Elite would fall under the Platinum Select umbrella unless I'm just completely missing something.
As I expected, the agent was wrong. Card came in the mail today and the SUB ticker shows up.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:22 am

Applied for the personal AA 75,000 offer today and was approved. $1,500 credit limit. I feel like I am in college applying for my first credit card. Over $200,000 in income and no house payment. Credit score listed 824. It will take me the whole four months to spend the $3,500 if I don't try to cycle the credit. Was going to buy four tires, but I don't see that happening. Small purchases only. Need to get P2 to go apply for another INK so I can spend some money.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by need a vacay
Applied for the personal AA 75,000 offer today and was approved. $1,500 credit limit. I feel like I am in college applying for my first credit card. Over $200,000 in income and no house payment. Credit score listed 824.
The key data point that’s missing here is how much credit you already have from a Citi and overall. Perhaps the issuer felt they have already given you nearly enough. Assuming you have another card with them, perhaps you can reallocate some of the credit to the new card?
mia likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The key data point that’s missing here is how much credit you already have from a Citi and overall. Perhaps the issuer felt they have already given you nearly enough. Assuming you have another card with them, perhaps you can reallocate some of the credit to the new card?
No Citi cards and have not had one in 3 years. So it was not a key data point or I would have mentioned it. This was a data point, not looking for help.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
This was a data point, not looking for help.

For your data point to be beneficial, it would help to understand why with income higher than $200,000, no mortgage payment and a credit score of 824, you were issued a card with such a low credit limit.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Applied for the personal AA 75,000 offer today and was approved. $1,500 credit limit. I feel like I am in college applying for my first credit card. Over $200,000 in income and no house payment. Credit score listed 824. It will take me the whole four months to spend the $3,500 if I don't try to cycle the credit. Was going to buy four tires, but I don't see that happening. Small purchases only. Need to get P2 to go apply for another INK so I can spend some money.
No Citi cards and have not had one in 3 years. So it was not a key data point or I would have mentioned it. This was a data point, not looking for help.
Had a very similar experience as well last year so can commiserate with you. We only got the exact same $1500 CL for a new AA card and it was extremely frustrating when trying to meet the spend for the SUB and needing to wait like 10 days for the limit to become available again every time we made a payment.

We have a higher annual income than you (almost double), low 800s score, no credit cards with Citi for quite a few years already. Only thing that's different is that we do have a mortgage but we always pay on time and that doesn't seem to affect Amex or Chase granting us credit.

Originally Posted by TWA884
For your data point to be beneficial, it would help to understand why with income higher than $200,000, no mortgage payment and a credit score of 824, you were issued a card with such a low credit limit.
I agree that it would certainly help to understand this but nobody at Citi was able to explain it to me either so I'm just an additional data point as well.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:39 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Citi is sensitive to the amount of credit that applicants have elsewhere. For example, if they see that none of your other accounts are reporting a balance, they will decline the application. It's possible that if they see an abundance of available credit elsewhere, with low reported balances, they may believe that a minimal credit limit is sufficient. Also, I think no issuer is enthused about a new account which earns the sign up bonus in a single transaction, and then goes dormant. A low limit forces a different pattern of spending, and keep you engaged with the card longer.
dw likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.