Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Old May 13, 2021, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I believe the card you're trying to link to is the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select. Yes, its 50k bonus is superior to 15k, but Citi's 48 month exclusion on SUBs puts it out of reach of most of us on this forum. The 15k on the MileUp card is slim but at least it's a different product few of us have had before. That said, it's hard to justify using up a Chase 5/24 slot when there are so many cards with better bonuses-- including several from Chase that only have 24 month exclusions.
Chase slots are too important. I have tons of regrets about how I approached things, but if I were to start all over again, I would definitely sort out my Chase lineup first before moving to anything else. 24 months is like an eternity. I'm roughly 6 months away from being 4/24 now.
tstauck likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Over the weekend I got a mailer for the Citi AAdvantage MileUp card. The offer is a 15,000 mile bonus for $500 spend in 3 months. The card earns 2x AA and grocery stores, 1x all other, and has no annual fee.

I haven't seen much discussion of this card lately. In fact I personally wasn't aware it existed until I got the mailer. I found a thread from 2018 with a lower (10k) bonus offer - Citi AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard - 10k/$500/$0 fee

I see a variety of small pluses and minuses with this card. My main thought so far is that 15k is a small bonus and may not be worth using a "slot" against Chase's 5/24. I'm curious what others think.
My first Citi AA card was a Mileup - (after I had most Chase cards I want, though I am now trying to get under 5/24 to get a few more). The 15,000 mile bonus is fine (10,000 when I applied), but what was better was the 50,000 mile bonus I got by opening up a City Priority account checking associated with the card. Citi used to send these offers to Citi AA cardholders to get them to sign up for checking accounts - I am not sure if they are still doing this in the Covid era. I would argue that if you can also get a checking account offer, applying for Mileup directly (15K + 50K or more) is worth it for a no annual fee card.

Longer term, it is a no annual fee card that earns 2x AA miles on grocery, which is useful to have in the wallet. AA isn't a transfer partner for the major points currencies, so having a Mileup card makes sense.
Old May 15, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Over the weekend I got a mailer for the Citi AAdvantage MileUp card. The offer is a 15,000 mile bonus for $500 spend in 3 months. The card earns 2x AA and grocery stores, 1x all other, and has no annual fee.

I haven't seen much discussion of this card lately. In fact I personally wasn't aware it existed until I got the mailer. I found a thread from 2018 with a lower (10k) bonus offer - Citi AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard - 10k/$500/$0 fee

I see a variety of small pluses and minuses with this card. My main thought so far is that 15k is a small bonus and may not be worth using a "slot" against Chase's 5/24. I'm curious what others think.
Is there something at Chase you want or are you already pretty covered there? If you plan on flying on AA once or twice a year, plan on checking a bag, and can make the Citi AA plat SUB, that might be more worth a 5/24 slot. You could also use the fee free mileup as a downgrade path, or upgrade to the AA exec card. $450 for an admirals club makes it a keeper card for me.
Old May 15, 2021, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAdamE
Is there something at Chase you want or are you already pretty covered there? If you plan on flying on AA once or twice a year, plan on checking a bag, and can make the Citi AA plat SUB, that might be more worth a 5/24 slot. You could also use the fee free mileup as a downgrade path, or upgrade to the AA exec card. $450 for an admirals club makes it a keeper card for me.
I honestly think it’s overhyped based on my research. The lounges aren’t even that good. It’s not at Centurion lounge level. I think Citi also needs to enhance the earn rate on that card. Maybe AA can consider allowing access to all OW business class lounges as well.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lsquare
I honestly think it’s overhyped based on my research. The lounges aren’t even that good. It’s not at Centurion lounge level. I think Citi also needs to enhance the earn rate on that card. Maybe AA can consider allowing access to all OW business class lounges as well.
I have an Amex plat, and yes, of course you can’t compare the centurion lounges to the admirals club - however being based out of ORD there’s no viable PP (all the way in T5) or Centurion anywhere. So for me there’s value. And for what it’s worth never have I been waitlisted (unlike PP or centurion).
Old May 15, 2021, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an Amex plat, and yes, of course you can’t compare the centurion lounges to the admirals club - however being based out of ORD there’s no viable PP (all the way in T5) or Centurion anywhere. So for me there’s value. And for what it’s worth never have I been waitlisted (unlike PP or centurion).
I get your point and quite frankly ORD could use a Centurion lounge. I think Citi and AA needs to improve that card. At a minimum, I think AA needs to modernize and match what DL is offering in their lounges. The food that I’ve had at the SCs are actually decent.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:37 pm

I get your point and quite frankly ORD could use a Centurion lounge. I think Citi and AA needs to improve that card. At a minimum, I think AA needs to modernize and match what DL is offering in their lounges. The food that I’ve had at the SCs are actually decent.
Accurate. The second citi gutted travel protections it got sock drawered. Although my family likes the no fee AU. I predict the lounges will improve when they realize biz travel is down and just how many people cut the card / membership.

Edit: also even if you don’t book AA flights with the card you and four additional companions get a free checked bag. Apparently with United it’s 2 people and it’s gotta be booked with the card. So there’s that.

Last edited by AAdamE; May 15, 2021 at 9:48 pm
Old May 15, 2021, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Accurate. The second citi gutted travel protections it got sock drawered. Although my family likes the no fee AU. I predict the lounges will improve when they realize biz travel is down and just how many people cut the card / membership.
Don't get me wrong, $450 for a card with lounge access for 10 people is unbelievable in a way. Before AMEX expanded their Centurion lounges and DL upgrading their SCs, I could see the value there. While Citi and AA were asleep, everyone else stepped up and started innovating. I just don't see the value in the Citi/AA Executive card even if it's $250. What AA needs to do at a minimum is to upgrade the food. Then maybe they can grant access to OW business class lounges? Even if doing so would raise the AF, I think a lot of people would be interested considering how many decent OW business class lounges there are overseas.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:49 am

Don't get me wrong, $450 for a card with lounge access for 10 people is unbelievable in a way. Before AMEX expanded their Centurion lounges and DL upgrading their SCs, I could see the value there. While Citi and AA were asleep, everyone else stepped up and started innovating. I just don't see the value in the Citi/AA Executive card even if it's $250. What AA needs to do at a minimum is to upgrade the food. Then maybe they can grant access to OW business class lounges? Even if doing so would raise the AF, I think a lot of people would be interested considering how many decent OW business class lounges there are overseas.
You don't like soupy mac and cheese? JK. I agree the food is pretty bad, and the fact that they push paid offerings when you already have to pay for membership is offensive. Now they are pushing featured cocktails like this spicy margarita, and conveniently they no longer have any type of comp tequila. PP is adding 150 new lounges Centurion is expanding their network, and business travel is down. Not sure what their strategy is here other than to prove their business model doesn't work and they need to innovate. Hopefully ORD gets a PP or centurion with the re-purposing of T2 which you can walk to after security. I would then cut my membership.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I have read and reread terms on here but want to triple check. None of these should affect an app for Citi AAdvantage Plat (personal), right?

--Citi AAdvantage Executive MC acquired in 2014 and canceled a year later.
--Citi AAdvantage Business acquired 5/2020 (still active but want to cancel when AF hits)
--Citi Prestige acquired 2015 downgraded to Citi Double Cash 1/2021
--Any Barclay AA card (I remember a weird rule with Amex and Chase Marriott cards after the SPG change)

Will there be any impact on an application for Citi AA Plat personal if I cancel the Citi AA business? Trying to decide if I need to do the app prior to cancelation. The 50k SUB doesn't seem great so maybe should wait if the biz cancelation is no issue. Also, that biz has been sock drawed since hitting SUB. Any issue there?
Old May 16, 2021, 12:29 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Offer Terms
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 month
Have you ever before held a personal Citi AA Platinum card? If yes, you need to figure out when the bonus posted. No other card matters, unless you have reached the maximum amount of credit that Citi will offer you.
nwflyboy and Stgermainparis like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't like soupy mac and cheese? JK. I agree the food is pretty bad, and the fact that they push paid offerings when you already have to pay for membership is offensive. Now they are pushing featured cocktails like this spicy margarita, and conveniently they no longer have any type of comp tequila. PP is adding 150 new lounges Centurion is expanding their network, and business travel is down. Not sure what their strategy is here other than to prove their business model doesn't work and they need to innovate. Hopefully ORD gets a PP or centurion with the re-purposing of T2 which you can walk to after security. I would then cut my membership.
Sounds like what UA offers in their UC. Both UA and AA offer terrible food in their lounges. I have no idea how DL realized that people want decent food in their lounges. It doesn't have to be at AMEX Centurion level, but come on.

Yea and it makes no sense to charge for food in a paid lounge. I guess what you're really paying for is crap food and the lounge space. I think AS does that as well. It's ridiculous. Forget about the credit card for a second. Who in the right mind would pay for an annual membership and then deal with the nickel and diming like that? I don't get it.

I don't know what Priority Pass's strategy going forward, but there's still value in their program. I rather use a PP lounge or even a PP restaurant credit than go into an AA lounge to be brutally honest with you.

I think the only way I can make the Citi/AA Executive card work for me is to get the SUB (which I never got before) and then get 10 people in total to pitch in to cover the AF.
SPN Lifer and AAdamE like this.
Old May 17, 2021, 10:48 am

Looks like Citi is now offering 5k less miles for the MileUp Mastercard but a $50 statement credit.

Old May 21, 2021, 6:11 pm

any idea if statement credits are clawed back if the airline cancels the flight resulting in a refund?
Old May 22, 2021, 10:29 am

Better to apply for Citi AA Biz as sole proprietor or EIN? Best odds for instant approval?

Can do either, just really dislike dealing with recon or submitting docs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.