Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sdix
For the business card all miles accrue in the "business" account. You can then transfer those miles to anyone in your business that has a AA account.

The only "qualifications" I see are:

1.) your account must have a minimum of 5 active, registered business travelers
2.) spend $5,000 USD on eligible flights over 12 consecutive months.

It is a Business card after all.........
Actually though, if you hold the Citi AAdvantage Business card both of those requirements are waived and not applicable. That is selling point for holding the card.

Regards
sdix, SkyTeam777, mia and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 5:52 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
my 70K mailer is currently highest;
but I will wait until week 1 Feb to see
if new higher offer appears...

Another mailer with 70K offer $5K/5mos apply by 3/15/24 came
so will wait longer; seeing no better than 65K offers online
unless someone knows better
Old Feb 9, 2024, 3:18 pm

How long after spending $30,000 in a cardmember year with the Citi AAdvantage Business card will I receive the companion certificate? My cardmember year ended in Dec 4, 2023, and my most recent statement cut on February 5.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by scubadu
Actually though, if you hold the Citi AAdvantage Business card both of those requirements are waived and not applicable. That is selling point for holding the card.

Regards
but do you have to use the card to pay for flights to be eligible to earn business points or be waived from the forced booking through .com. Many of us have clients that use their own agencies to book flights, but they’ll use their cards not mine. Am I exempt just for being a cardholder or must I use the card?

whats the biggest bonus you’ve seen for the business card? How strict are they with approvals? Can a small business use a social security number instead of tax Id?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:45 pm

Using card for tax payment (via PayPal)

I recently signed up for the Business Select AAdvantage card and intend to use it to pay my taxes and fulfill the spending requirement for the welcome bonus. Regrettably, I encountered an error when attempting to make the payment directly on the IRS website. However, I found that the PayPal tax payment option is functioning properly. Would using this method affect my eligibility for the welcome bonus?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:15 am

CITI AA Platinum

Can anyone tell me how strict CITI is with card approvals? I was going to apply for the CITI Business AA Card, however I am now seeing a 75K sub on the personal AA platinum card.

I am at 4/24 and on a Chase break so I am okay with using the last 5/24 spot as another one will open up in July. I've had quite a few hard pulls and my last hard pull was in January. A few of my Chase personal cards did require me to go through reconsideration so I am a little nervous with CITI.

If they deny me, would it be wise to try to the Business card then? How long do you suggest waiting If I do get denied?

I don't have any open revolving loans at moment just credit cards, so that could be a factor. I also heard that CITI does like to see some small balances on your cards. Maybe I should use thc cards a ittle bit before applying?

I'd appreciate any suggestions
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum Elite. Have MR, UR, TYP, C1R, and Bilt R points.
Citibank has become much more strict on their credit cards, since discontinuing the Citi Prestige. Citi Premier and Citi AAdvantage Platinum are difficult to get approved for now. Most of the DP's I see of the current 75k SUB are denials, even with <5/24 and 0/6 on new inquiries and accounts. Low utilization (<3%?) and too much unused credit are common reasons on the denial letters. CitiBusiness AAdvantage is a bit easier, but I haven't seen any DP's this year.

Originally Posted by giacona
Can anyone tell me how strict CITI is with card approvals? I was going to apply for the CITI Business AA Card, however I am now seeing a 75K sub on the personal AA platinum card.

I am at 4/24 and on a Chase break so I am okay with using the last 5/24 spot as another one will open up in July. I've had quite a few hard pulls and my last hard pull was in January. A few of my Chase personal cards did require me to go through reconsideration so I am a little nervous with CITI.

If they deny me, would it be wise to try to the Business card then? How long do you suggest waiting If I do get denied?

I don't have any open revolving loans at moment just credit cards, so that could be a factor. I also heard that CITI does like to see some small balances on your cards. Maybe I should use thc cards a ittle bit before applying?

I'd appreciate any suggestions
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:38 pm

Am I eligible for SUB?

I have a CITI AA Platinum Select Mastercard. The account is open and have had it for more than 48 months

I noticed AA is offering 75,000 miles as a sign up bonus. Am I eligible to get the bonus without closing the existing card?
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:15 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by bakoboy
I....had it for more than 48 months
The offer terms are below. If it has been more than 48 months since the previous new account bonus posted, you are eligible. There is no requirement to close the existing card.

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 6:41 pm

Thanks MIA for the clarification. I applied and was approved.
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Approval data point: Just approved for the 75K. Technically I am at 5/24, but the oldest of that group was a Chase Ink Business card in April 2022 so it may not be visible to Citi. Others are Amex DL Gold, Barclays AA, Chase Bonvoy Boundless and CO Venture X. Last Citi AA card was a little over five years ago and has been closed for a few. My only current CIti card is the Costco Visa that was product changed from a premier or prestige a few years ago. Only Citi utilization over the last year plus has been to pay the annual Costco membership fee - I get better value from other cards. Maybe they are trying to win me back. FICO over 800.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: WOH Explorist, MGM Gold, IHG PlatElite
Was instantly denied. Not too surprised as I am 5/24. However a couple of minutes later I got a welcome email from AA providing me with an AAdvantage number and everything. Anyone else see this? Should I assume the system created an AAdvantage account for me before denying me?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:18 pm

Last week my wife received the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card for which there was a 70k mail offer. Today she received an offer in the mail for 80k for the same card. Is there any way to see if Citi would be willing to up their bonus?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL AA Hilton Hyatt
This was back in February.

I have 0 Citi cards and applied for AA Executive card as 5/24. instant approval with 22.5k limit
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Seablock
Last week my wife received the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card for which there was a 70k mail offer. Today she received an offer in the mail for 80k for the same card. Is there any way to see if Citi would be willing to up their bonus?
Logon and Chat with an agent (that way you have it in writing).
I THINK Citi typically matches, or at least used to. Generally if they match, the extra 10k will post later as a "customer goodwill/gesture" I think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.