Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:32 pm
  #556  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,534
Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, perhaps someone else will come along to offer better insight than I can.
I appreciate your insight - it's helpful.

Originally Posted by scubadu
As mentioned, I'm just not willing to put signifcant spend on an AA cards and get yet more AA RDMs, when I could get additional Chase Ink cards, or Amex Biz cards, etc. I too have a lot of transferable currencies, but I'm beginning to feel this game just isn't sustainable (in fact we are already seeing changes from Amex) so I'm gathering as many nuts for winter as possible. And transferable currencies offer me more optionality than focusing too heavily on the AA ecosystem.

That said, what I am considering is getting my wife the AA Business card come March. We probably would take advantage of the increased LP earning to help her maintain some level of status (again, not doing anything "unnatural" though) given that the annual fee is waived for the first year. We'd probably cancel after the first year though; the card just doesn't have any compelling benefits to me that would justify holding it for $99 per year.
What Amex changes? Do you mean the CL guest changes and the DL stuff or something else? I agree that miles flowing everywhere gravy train will eventually slow down. Either that or the number needed for redemption will endlessly increase like Skypesos. I've started using miles a lot more with the AA program changes and also for my SO.

There are purchases that earn 1 point per dollar on my CSR and Amex, so there is an opportunity to use an AA card for those as the incremental UR or MR point value isn't that high. I haven't really ever considered keeping it for a year and canceling it - worth a thought!

Originally Posted by scubadu
If you are just looking for an AA card that allows you to put spend on it, to garner some incremental LPs, then you could go the Barclays Red route, then look for the upgrade to the Barclays Silver, which though it has a higher annual fee, it does have some actual, tangible benefits if you fly AA a lot and would make use of the benefits. But again, that means you'd of course be leaving the AA Business program off the table.
I'm leaning the business route as the Barclays Red has a lot of benefits that I already get with status. I did not think of the silver though - another idea to consider

Thanks again!
Antarius is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:05 pm
  #557  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: On strike
Posts: 8,135
cuttt
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Jul 13, 2024 at 2:47 am Reason: Irritable bowel J
beltway is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:29 pm
  #558  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Programs: AA, but I play the field
Posts: 1,529
Originally Posted by Antarius
Contemplating the Citi Business AA card and wanted opinions. I have never carried an AA card, only now that they have changed the AA business program and the Hotels multiplier etc. it might make sense to get one.

I currently carry a CSR, Amex Plat, Ink Business, Chase Hyatt. Don't value the Admirals Club and pay enough in annual fees that the Exec card isn't being considered.

Thoughts on the Citi Business vs Barclays Red vs standing pat?
I don't have a CitiBusiness card, but I do have a Citi Executive Platinum Card that I acquired after the July 2023 refurb. While it is serving the purposes for which I signed up -- club access and LP bonuses -- I have otherwise come to loathe the card, and am looking forward to terminating my relationship with Citi at the earliest practical opportunity. As noted here, I really dislike the lack of transparency when it comes to accounting for rewards earnings. The Citi statements and web interface are amateurish compared to Chase and Amex. The straightfoward, non-bonused spend posts predictably, it's the bonus spend earnings that I've found impossible to track and match up to what posts on AA.com. E.g., I had two AA Hotel stays in November but no bonus points for those stays posted to AA.com. This is likely related to same behind-the-scenes debiting due to previously canceled AAHotel stays, but that's not self-evident from the prior charges and there is nowhere they show their math. Perhaps this is an AA problem as much as a Citi problem, I don't know. But I have two other co-branded airline cards through Chase, and one hotel-branded card through Amex, and none of them are this complicated. Citi's method of posting monthly credits and "merchant offer" credits is also maddening, although perhaps those credits are not relevant to the Business card, I don't know.

Perhaps like me, the specific benefits you are seeking from the card will make it worthwhile to you not withstanding such issues. For me, my aversion to Citi has become strong enough that if my work travel continues to be AA-focused, I'm considering the idea of obtaining a Barlclay's card that I would use for any spend I intend to put on an AA card, and treat the Citi Exec card simply like a discounted Admiral's Club membership that provides some LP bonuses. But I'll need to make sure the grass is actually greener on the other side of the fence. Anyway, that's just my personal word of warning, others here may be more satisified with their cards. Good luck deciding!
Antarius likes this.
ZenFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:02 pm
  #559  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 31,526
Are miles earned from Citi AA Business Cards posting?

My wife and mother are currently spending the amount required to get the bonus on the Citi AA business card, but I noticed that only loyalty points are posting and not award miles. Anyone else notice this?
UA Fan is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:25 pm
  #560  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,181
The miles post to a new separate Business AAdvantage account. Please see this thread: CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Mastercard - Loyalty Points Post but 0 Miles
hurnik likes this.
mia is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:12 am
  #561  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by Antarius
<snip>What Amex changes? Do you mean the CL guest changes and the DL stuff or something else? I agree that miles flowing everywhere gravy train will eventually slow down. Either that or the number needed for redemption will endlessly increase like Skypesos. I've started using miles a lot more with the AA program changes and also for my SO.
No, I'm not referring to the CL/Delta changes (honestly, don't even use CLs anymore, horrible experience). For a few years now, Amex has offered very generous sign-up bonuses (SUBs), with so called "No Lifetime Language" (NLL) on both Amex Business Gold & Platinum cards, allowing folks to get multiple (and large) SUBs on cards you may have already (or even currently hold). They also offered us several "upgrade offers" (also with NLL). For us, that is where we focus our efforts. Both my wife and I took advantage of several very lucrative offers last year which really juiced our points balances. In fact, we used points/miles for the majority of our travel last year and yet still ended the year with more points/miles than we started with.

However, alas, it does seem that Amex is beginning to take the punch bowl away and many (most) are no longer receiving NLL offers for new cards. Furthermore, Amex has begun adding so called "family language" to many of their cards making it difficult to obtain a bonus on another Amex card that is in the same "family" as a card you have previously (or currently) have. So all in all, it seems Amex might not be so generous going forward (and they have been ridiculously generous over the past couple of years). That is what I was referring to by changes from Amex.

Originally Posted by Antarius
There are purchases that earn 1 point per dollar on my CSR and Amex, so there is an opportunity to use an AA card for those as the incremental UR or MR point value isn't that high. I haven't really ever considered keeping it for a year and canceling it - worth a thought!
Yikes... friends don't let friends get 1X per dollar! Honestly, we are really never, ever satisfied with 1 point per dollar on... well... anything. We do have to occasionally settle for that, but we try not to let that happen. We have a couple cards that are the equivalent of 2X points and/or 2% cash back, that is the bare minimum we'd settle for. Then, for things that might be 1X like monthly utility bills, etc, we will buy Visa/MasterCard gifts cards at Officedepot/Staples using an Ink Business card which gives 5X points for those purchases. Then we simply use those to pay bills, shop at Costco, etc. all at 5X per dollar. We also use that same method for buying Amazon gifts cards for those purchases. We use Chase Freedom Flex cards, which offer "quarterly bonuses" in rotating categories and we max those bonuses out. For example, this quarter's bonus category is groceries and my wife and I both have a Freedom Flex each, so we'll actually both buy gift cards at our local grocery store to max out the offer then we'll just use those cards over the next 6 months or so,in effect ensuring we always get 5X on groceries (and also gas, because our grocery store sells gas and same gift card works). Anyhow, I could go on and on, but you get the gist, for us getting 1X per dollar on purchases is no bueno.

And that is why the AA cards aren't attractive to us for daily/normal spend. We'd much rather focus our spending "firepower" on obtaining multiple, +100K SUBs per year than putting that spend on an AA card earning at 1LP/RDM per dollar in order to chase AA status. But, we are more than happy to churn the AA credit cards for the SUB/RDM every 48 months.

I realize that I'm probably beginning to stray from the topic of "Citi AA Cards" so I should probably stop there, but just trying to share some context on how we use Citi AA cards in our strategy (i.e. get the sign-up bonus, but not for "normal spend")

Regards
mia and Antarius like this.
scubadu is offline  
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:21 am
  #562  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 17,342
Originally Posted by scubadu

And that is why the AA cards aren't attractive to us for daily/normal spend. We'd much rather focus our spending "firepower" on obtaining multiple, +100K SUBs per year than putting that spend on an AA card earning at 1LP/RDM per dollar in order to chase AA status. But, we are more than happy to churn the AA credit cards for the SUB/RDM every 48 months.

I realize that I'm probably beginning to stray from the topic of "Citi AA Cards" so I should probably stop there, but just trying to share some context on how we use Citi AA cards in our strategy (i.e. get the sign-up bonus, but not for "normal spend")
I use similar solutions to earn 2-5X on most spend. But I am not quite as “strict” about never earning 1X… not all 1X earnings are created equal. In the context of AA cards, the key differentiator between the Citi/Barclays cards and other 1X cards is the LPs. Those LP can be completely worthless … or “priceless” if they push me to a higher level of “elityness” that I otherwise would not have reached. So for example just the other day I had a $4k expense that didn’t fall in any card’s bonus category. And it was “in person” - showing up with a stack of $200 Visa giftcards would have been impractical. Mobile payment (Google Pay) also wasn’t an option (so no USB Altitude candidate… but I don’t have that card anyway). Usually my choice would have been 1.5X UR (CFU), but I have 250k UR waiting to be used. Instead I used my AA card, earned 4K LP, and secured Platinum status through 2/2025 and ExPlat through 5/2024 (Instant Status Pass).

So basically a reason to accept a lower payout for a particular transaction is if those miles (or points) are what you need for a particular award. And without transfer partner (except Marriott/Bilt), I can’t just move some flexible points into my AA account when I need them.

One other AA Citi tip: by buying Visa giftcards on GC.com via the shopping portal with my AA card, I earn close to 2X miles and LPs (1X from the card, 1X from the portal). And unlike the OD/OM/Staples giftcards the GC.com cards can be loaded into Google Wallet for everyday spend. So I basically use 5X UR giftcards for all kinds of online payments, and 2X AA giftcards for occasional otherwise unbonused in-person spend.
friedablass likes this.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:41 am
  #563  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cape Cod
Programs: Free agent
Posts: 1,535
Hi all,

I downgraded my AA Exec Plat card to a Double Cash card in 2021 and last earned a SUB in 2018, does this free me up to repeat the SUB? I know the rules have changed since I last went through the SUB train. Sorry for the simple question.
MSYtoJFKagain is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:54 am
  #564  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Hi all,

I downgraded my AA Exec Plat card to a Double Cash card in 2021 and last earned a SUB in 2018, does this free me up to repeat the SUB? I know the rules have changed since I last went through the SUB train. Sorry for the simple question.
Here are the rules:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive account in the past 48 months."
(Source: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/ci...ds~vac&afc=135)

Regards
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
scubadu is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2024, 4:14 pm
  #565  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,534
Originally Posted by scubadu
No, I'm not referring to the CL/Delta changes (honestly, don't even use CLs anymore, horrible experience). For a few years now, Amex has offered very generous sign-up bonuses (SUBs), with so called "No Lifetime Language" (NLL) on both Amex Business Gold & Platinum cards, allowing folks to get multiple (and large) SUBs on cards you may have already (or even currently hold). They also offered us several "upgrade offers" (also with NLL). For us, that is where we focus our efforts. Both my wife and I took advantage of several very lucrative offers last year which really juiced our points balances. In fact, we used points/miles for the majority of our travel last year and yet still ended the year with more points/miles than we started with.

However, alas, it does seem that Amex is beginning to take the punch bowl away and many (most) are no longer receiving NLL offers for new cards. Furthermore, Amex has begun adding so called "family language" to many of their cards making it difficult to obtain a bonus on another Amex card that is in the same "family" as a card you have previously (or currently) have. So all in all, it seems Amex might not be so generous going forward (and they have been ridiculously generous over the past couple of years). That is what I was referring to by changes from Amex.
Got it. Thanks for the summary.

SUBs are one of the FT aspects that I know very little about. By virtue of history, travel patterns etc. I've never been short of points and haven't needed to pursue any SUBs unless I'm in the market for a card already.

Originally Posted by scubadu
Yikes... friends don't let friends get 1X per dollar! Honestly, we are really never, ever satisfied with 1 point per dollar on... well... anything. We do have to occasionally settle for that, but we try not to let that happen. We have a couple cards that are the equivalent of 2X points and/or 2% cash back, that is the bare minimum we'd settle for. Then, for things that might be 1X like monthly utility bills, etc, we will buy Visa/MasterCard gifts cards at Officedepot/Staples using an Ink Business card which gives 5X points for those purchases. Then we simply use those to pay bills, shop at Costco, etc. all at 5X per dollar. We also use that same method for buying Amazon gifts cards for those purchases. We use Chase Freedom Flex cards, which offer "quarterly bonuses" in rotating categories and we max those bonuses out. For example, this quarter's bonus category is groceries and my wife and I both have a Freedom Flex each, so we'll actually both buy gift cards at our local grocery store to max out the offer then we'll just use those cards over the next 6 months or so,in effect ensuring we always get 5X on groceries (and also gas, because our grocery store sells gas and same gift card works). Anyhow, I could go on and on, but you get the gist, for us getting 1X per dollar on purchases is no bueno.
1x point per dollar isn't ideal, but GCs are a lot of work - I'll periodically grab some if the bonus is extra and I have a need, but sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. I do have a Freedom Flex that I use if the categories line up.

Originally Posted by scubadu
And that is why the AA cards aren't attractive to us for daily/normal spend. We'd much rather focus our spending "firepower" on obtaining multiple, +100K SUBs per year than putting that spend on an AA card earning at 1LP/RDM per dollar in order to chase AA status. But, we are more than happy to churn the AA credit cards for the SUB/RDM every 48 months.
Agreed. I'm more considering it for those cases when 1x point per dollar is on the cards. LPs are a bonus.

Clearly, I'm a lot lazier than most here
Antarius is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:52 am
  #566  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 678
Hello-just cancelled the AA personal platinum card after almost 5 years so I can re-apply and get a new SUB (I know it isn't guaranteed but I have the AA barclay card so this card doesn't give me any additional benefits).
How long after cancelling should I wait in order to increase the chances of getting approved? Didn't know if they had hard and fast rules
Scotttyd is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:01 pm
  #567  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,181
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
....just cancelled the AA personal platinum card after almost 5 years so I can re-apply and get a new SUB
Strictly, you did not need to cancel the existing account, it's not relevant. The only factor is how recently you received a new account bonus for the same card:

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months. The card offer referenced in this communication is only available to individuals who reside in the United States and its territories, excluding Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.​
hurnik likes this.
mia is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:11 pm
  #568  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Posts: 2,264
ok i read T&C of the business program. Looks like there's no way i would qualify to use the miles. This is some dumb stuff lol. Not gonna go for the card.
aubreyfromwheaton is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:56 pm
  #569  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,181
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
....there's no way i would qualify to use the miles.....
Please explain.
mia is offline  
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:23 pm
  #570  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,067
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
ok i read T&C of the business program. Looks like there's no way i would qualify to use the miles. This is some dumb stuff lol. Not gonna go for the card.
For the business card all miles accrue in the "business" account. You can then transfer those miles to anyone in your business that has a AA account.

The only "qualifications" I see are:

1.) your account must have a minimum of 5 active, registered business travelers
2.) spend $5,000 USD on eligible flights over 12 consecutive months.

It is a Business card after all.........
sdix is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.