Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Old Sep 28, 2023, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I don't think this is specifically an issue with the AA Platinum Mastercard we have, but it's the only Citi card we have at the moment so I'm posting this here.

Years back both my spouse and I had many different Citi cards specifically AA and Thank You cards. We never did any manufactured spend or anything that would jeopardize our relationship with Citi, but over the years we moved most of our spend over to Chase and Amex cards and slowly but surely all of our Citi credit cards were either closed by us to avoid paying annual fees on cards we weren't using or closed by Citi after a long period of non-use. It came to a point where we had no Citi cards anymore between us.

Recently we decided to replenish our AA miles balance (which we used for QR redemptions) by applying for AA credit cards with sign up offers. I did the Barclay 70k offer and received it after the second statement. My spouse signed up using a mailer (which we had been receiving incessantly over and over for a number of months) for 80k points with $4k spend. Although the approval came instantly we were extremely disappointed with the measly $1500 credit limit when we are both used to having a minimum of $10k credit limit on our cards and are able to charge much higher than that on our Amex charge card.

Although we couldn't just put a single charge of $4k on the card to meet the spend because the credit limit would not allow it, I thought I would be able to at least pay down balances immediately after charges posted and then be able to put new charges on it once the payment has processed and posted. And this is where I am getting extremely frustrated because Citi is not making the credit limit available for me to use after the payment has been fully processed (which I can see because the funds are removed from my bank account the day I make the payment).

With Chase and Amex the credit limit goes up immediately and is available for use again as soon as I finish making a payment in my credit card account. If Citi doesn't want to do that and to first verify that they have my funds, that's fine, but it only takes them at most 24 hours to get those funds from my bank. They are however, taking at least 2 weeks to update my available credit for me to use again. It's infuriating because they have my money, it's out of my bank account, but they're telling me that they still need to verify that the payment processed and it can take up to 2 weeks. Like seriously? Maybe the very first time I make a payment I can buy that, but every single time I pay from the exact same account they need 2 weeks to verify the payment and release my available credit? Is this normal for Citi? If it is, I don't think I'm going to bother with them anymore once the spend for this card is met. I'll keep my business with Amex and Chase.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 11:02 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
This is normal for new accounts, but it is not permanent. Sorry, I cannot be more specific, our accounts are too old.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This is normal for new accounts, but it is not permanent. Sorry, I cannot be more specific, our accounts are too old.
I hear you. Have not had this with new card accounts recently opened with both Amex and Chase. Available credit goes up immediately upon payment. And I don't even pay in advance like I'm doing with the Citi AA because I have enough credit - $10k on one and $21k on the other.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 1:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by friedablass
I don't think this is specifically an issue with the AA Platinum Mastercard we have, but it's the only Citi card we have at the moment so I'm posting this here.

Years back both my spouse and I had many different Citi cards specifically AA and Thank You cards. We never did any manufactured spend or anything that would jeopardize our relationship with Citi, but over the years we moved most of our spend over to Chase and Amex cards and slowly but surely all of our Citi credit cards were either closed by us to avoid paying annual fees on cards we weren't using or closed by Citi after a long period of non-use. It came to a point where we had no Citi cards anymore between us.

Recently we decided to replenish our AA miles balance (which we used for QR redemptions) by applying for AA credit cards with sign up offers. I did the Barclay 70k offer and received it after the second statement. My spouse signed up using a mailer (which we had been receiving incessantly over and over for a number of months) for 80k points with $4k spend. Although the approval came instantly we were extremely disappointed with the measly $1500 credit limit when we are both used to having a minimum of $10k credit limit on our cards and are able to charge much higher than that on our Amex charge card.

Although we couldn't just put a single charge of $4k on the card to meet the spend because the credit limit would not allow it, I thought I would be able to at least pay down balances immediately after charges posted and then be able to put new charges on it once the payment has processed and posted. And this is where I am getting extremely frustrated because Citi is not making the credit limit available for me to use after the payment has been fully processed (which I can see because the funds are removed from my bank account the day I make the payment).

With Chase and Amex the credit limit goes up immediately and is available for use again as soon as I finish making a payment in my credit card account. If Citi doesn't want to do that and to first verify that they have my funds, that's fine, but it only takes them at most 24 hours to get those funds from my bank. They are however, taking at least 2 weeks to update my available credit for me to use again. It's infuriating because they have my money, it's out of my bank account, but they're telling me that they still need to verify that the payment processed and it can take up to 2 weeks. Like seriously? Maybe the very first time I make a payment I can buy that, but every single time I pay from the exact same account they need 2 weeks to verify the payment and release my available credit? Is this normal for Citi? If it is, I don't think I'm going to bother with them anymore once the spend for this card is met. I'll keep my business with Amex and Chase.
Have you called and asked for a credit limit increase?
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:03 am

Citi Aadvantage credit card question

I have Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard.
Do I still get first checked bag FREE on basic economy? And also if ticket is booked via Chase ultimate rewards portal or third party travel site?
Is it mandatory to book the ticket with Master card to get first checked bag free or any payment is fine.
Sorry, I am a newbie here.
thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Yes, sure I did and was told the account needs to be at least 6 months for that to be considered. By that time the 4 months to spend the $4k for the SUB will obviously be long over.

Yesterday, it took me 3 calls and a conference between Citi and Chase to get Citi to make available the money from a payment that I made 2 weeks ago! since the claimed it was still showing as pending from Chase. This was false because I have over $6k in my Chase account and the money immediately left my account as soon as Citi drafted it and Chase confirmed that on the call. This was the third or fourth payment I was making from this exact same account so it wasn't new to Citi. It's just so frustrating.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:20 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Do you know how often Citi allows you to request a credit limit increase...? and for existing accounts in good standing, does Citi pull a hard credit inquiry for these limit increases..?

Thanks !!
Old Oct 4, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Do you know how often Citi allows you to request a credit limit increase...? and for existing accounts in good standing, does Citi pull a hard credit inquiry for these limit increases..?

Thanks !!
I have no idea.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

Thanks !!
You can request anytime, and once every 6 months thereafter if the request is approved. CLIs are soft pulls for accounts in good standing. If for some reason a hard pull is required you’ll see language indicating such prior to submitting your request.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 4:09 pm

New AA Gold World MC fee

I have had a Citi Gold World Elite Mastercard that earns AA miles for many years. The latest statement includes a $50 annual fee for the first time. The main advantage to me of the card is a very large credit line, but I don't use the card enough to justify any fee (I'm probably under $100/year). I don't use any World Elite MC benefits. According to a phone rep, I can product change to a Citi AA Miles Up card and keep the credit line, but Citi wants me to pay the fee and they'll refund it in 51 days. If I cancel, then there is no fee. I said do the change.

Does this all make sense? Should I trust Citi to actually refund the fee? Some better way to proceed?

Perhaps apply for another Citi card and then see if they'll transfer some credit line, perhaps apply for another card from another issuer or perhaps just cancel?

Last edited by richarddd; Oct 5, 2023 at 4:29 pm
Old Oct 5, 2023, 5:57 pm

There's some info in the wikipost of the retention offer thread. The same policy should apply to the AA Gold card. If you want the full refund, then convert or cancel within the 37 days mentioned below. There might also be some info in the Citi downgrade thread. Did they say why there's a fee, such as new benefits? (I once had the Gold, but it was converted to a $0 "Bronze.")

"After converting to a no annual fee card, the annual fee on the original card is refunded if you're within 37 days of the fee's date and prorated if you're past 37 days. Note that prorating doesn't start immediately, because Citi's internal system doesn't fully convert your card for another 51 days. For example, on January 1st, your Citi Premier's annual fee posted, and on February 10th, you asked to convert it to Citi Rewards+. Citi sends a new card but gives you 51 more days to undo the conversion. In this case you'd have until April 2nd, and they use that date to prorate the refund. So instead of getting 10/12ths of the fee back, you will probably receive close to 8/12ths."
richarddd likes this.

Last edited by rrgg; Oct 5, 2023 at 6:08 pm
Old Oct 5, 2023, 6:06 pm

I suppose it's good to hear that what the rep told me is in fact standard policy, even if the policy doesn't make sense. OTOH, my choices seem to be to live with it or cancel the card. Since the statement with the fee is dated today, I'm certainly within 37 days, so I should eventually get the fee back if I continue with the conversion. I guess Citi gets the float on the money. It's all rather annoying.

EDIT: "Did they say why there's a fee, such as new benefits?" They said there's a fee because they decided to charge a fee due to the benefits associated with a World Elite Mastercard, but there is no change in benefits.

Last edited by richarddd; Oct 5, 2023 at 6:28 pm
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
"After converting to a no annual fee card, the annual fee on the original card is refunded if you're within 37 days of the fee's date and prorated if you're past 37 days. Note that prorating doesn't start immediately, because Citi's internal system doesn't fully convert your card for another 51 days. For example, on January 1st, your Citi Premier's annual fee posted, and on February 10th, you asked to convert it to Citi Rewards+. Citi sends a new card but gives you 51 more days to undo the conversion. In this case you'd have until April 2nd, and they use that date to prorate the refund. So instead of getting 10/12ths of the fee back, you will probably receive close to 8/12ths."
Citi has now refunded the annual fee, posted today as of the statement date. I called to convert a couple of days after the statement date. Both the conversion phone agent and another agent yesterday said I'd get the refund 51 days after the date I called to convert.

I assume this means I just need to pay the balance net of the refunded fee, but worrying about the dangers of assuming anything about Citi.

Last edited by richarddd; Oct 11, 2023 at 10:15 am
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:14 am

Does anyone know how Citi calculates the 48 months?
Example: SUB received sometime in the 10/19/19 closing statement. So 48 months would be after 10/19/23. But does Citi take "calendar" months so one would have to wait until 11/1/24?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Citi AA Biz has a new elevated SUB: 75k points for $6k spend in six months. I was going to go for Barclays AA biz card originally, but that card is not accepting new applications at the moment. The timing for the new elevated works out for me perfectly.

Originally Posted by peterrudy
I tried in 3 different browsers with the same results and three of my friends tried as well. The application can be completed without the red remarks "Please make sure the Authorized Officer name is different from the Business name" by adding a middle initial for the business name and not adding it to the authorizing officer name. This way, you don't have to make up a fake name for the sole proprietor business.

I am curious to see the feedback from other flyer-talk members.
FWIW I ran into the exact same issue as you and I used your workaround. Worked like a charm. Instant approval for me. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.