Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by brc01
Historically, forced conversions didn't reset the bonus clock. Since mid-2019, terms now say 48 months from last bonus received, nothing else. Thus, there is no clock to reset when converting or closing AA cards. 37 days to close is the general consensus with AA cards.
Did I misread the wiki then? It said something about a product change or closing the card will reset the 48 month policy?

So here's my problem. My Citi AA Platinum Select's AF should post soon. I was approved for it in April 2020. I was thinking of product converting it to either the Citi Prestige or Double Cash. I'm under the impression that I'll get a new account number, but will I reset the 48 month policy?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 6:19 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
.... will I reset the 48 month policy?
There is no policy. You need to read the terms of the offer of the card for which you plan to apply. If the current terms only mention bonus posting, the open and close dates are no longer relevant.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Did I misread the wiki then? It said something about a product change or closing the card will reset the 48 month policy?
The wiki contained some outdated information. I struck out the irrelevant parts about product changes.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
With the travel protections gutted from the Citi AAdvantage Executive Card, I would realistically only use this for discounted admirals club membership. Should I use it every 6 months to keep it open, or does that not apply to cards with a high AF?
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is there a reliable to find out one's Citi card history?
Old May 5, 2021, 8:30 pm

Bonus points question

I recently got the Citibank World Elite Mastercard that has a $2000 spend for a 40K bonus miles on AA as well as a $200 AA credit. I'm at $1700 now so close to the spend. However, I was thinking of buying a DFW-BLR ticket for Jan 2021 and this flight isn't currently operational yet (starting service in Oct 2021) so there is a chance that the flight itself may be cancelled.

Question - if the flight is cancelled and they refund my money:

a) will I lose my $200 AA statement credit that was applied?
b) will I lose my bonus if the airline was responsible for the cancellation? i.e. I did not buy and then cancel just to get the bonus.

wondering if I should risk it or just not bother with it.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by k374
... wondering if I should risk it or just not bother with it.
I would collect the cash + miles offer, but NOT charge the flight to any Citi cards. They no longer have insurance and other typical CC benefits, and a large travel purchase is rather important. Use AmEx or Chase cards for travel.
Old May 7, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question, but I hope someone can help with the below 2 questions.

I received an offer in the mail for my AAdvantage Platinum card to earn 5x points at Consumer Electronic Stores for a total of up to 2500 bonus points.

1. I'm assuming that Best Buy would qualify as a store in this category. The terms say it excludes "supercenters" so does anyone know if Best Buy is considered one? I am leaning towards no, but just want confirmation.
2. The 5x points = 1x that is regularly given plus 4x bonus per $1, so am I correct in assuming that the maximum spend is $625 = 2500 bonus points (as opposed to $500 max)?

Thank you.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:42 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think the Supercenters exclusion is intended to eliminate large stores that happen to sell electronics as part of a wider range (e.g. Walmart, Sam's Club).
Old May 10, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Citi AAdvantage MileUp - 15k/$500/No AF

Over the weekend I got a mailer for the Citi AAdvantage MileUp card. The offer is a 15,000 mile bonus for $500 spend in 3 months. The card earns 2x AA and grocery stores, 1x all other, and has no annual fee.

I haven't seen much discussion of this card lately. In fact I personally wasn't aware it existed until I got the mailer. I found a thread from 2018 with a lower (10k) bonus offer - Citi AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard - 10k/$500/$0 fee

I see a variety of small pluses and minuses with this card. My main thought so far is that 15k is a small bonus and may not be worth using a "slot" against Chase's 5/24. I'm curious what others think.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Over the weekend I got a mailer for the Citi AAdvantage MileUp card. The offer is a 15,000 mile bonus for $500 spend in 3 months. The card earns 2x AA and grocery stores, 1x all other, and has no annual fee.

I haven't seen much discussion of this card lately. In fact I personally wasn't aware it existed until I got the mailer. I found a thread from 2018 with a lower (10k) bonus offer - Citi AAdvantage MileUp Mastercard - 10k/$500/$0 fee

I see a variety of small pluses and minuses with this card. My main thought so far is that 15k is a small bonus and may not be worth using a "slot" against Chase's 5/24. I'm curious what others think.

IMO Chase cards should take all 5/24 spots ( unless a crazy offer ops up from another bank) then add cards from Citi, etc

You can get 50K miles plus a free bag and preferred boarding on this card so may as well get the most you can per app.

https://creditcards.aa.com/citi-plat...ampaign=ccpage

Last edited by flyer4512; May 11, 2021 at 9:54 am
Old May 10, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
This card is ideal for downgrade due to no AF. But it is not a good card for bonus. Hence, limited discussion.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:31 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by flyer4512
You can get 50K miles plus a free bag and preferred boarding on this car so may as well get the most you can per app

https://https://citicards.citi.com/u...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
I believe the card you're trying to link to is the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select. Yes, its 50k bonus is superior to 15k, but Citi's 48 month exclusion on SUBs puts it out of reach of most of us on this forum. The 15k on the MileUp card is slim but at least it's a different product few of us have had before. That said, it's hard to justify using up a Chase 5/24 slot when there are so many cards with better bonuses-- including several from Chase that only have 24 month exclusions.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
My wife got a targeted offer for 60K with the 48 month language. I am certain there used to be something unique about these targeted offers and that there was some scandal regarding it. People would open new FF accounts with AA to get these offers. This offer does not seem to be any different than the 60K offer in the wiki.
Old May 12, 2021, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
My wife got a targeted offer for 60K with the 48 month language. I am certain there used to be something unique about these targeted offers and that there was some scandal regarding it..
The unique feature of those offers was the absence of time restrictive language (12, 24, or 48 month) -- to make them attractive to repeat customers. At the same time Citi pretended that the offers were really just for the 1st time customers. Of course that made no sense, as new AA customers never had previous SUB's and shouldn't care about the app intervals. Citi also passed out extra matching bonuses, to make multiple apps even more attractive to repeat customers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.