Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Citi let you know if you are ineligible for a Bonus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 5:05 am
Original Poster

I know there is a two year rule requirement between Thank You bonuses.
I got the Prestige in May, 2019 and product changed to a Double Cash in June, 2020, with a new account number.
I'd like to get a Premier card , but would I need to wait until June/July, 2021 or 2022. I've read different things on the forum. I anticipate that I'll need to wait until 2022, but does Citi let you know during the application process?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:45 am

I don't think so but that would be nice if they did. Not really interested in a new citi card without a SUB.

I'm in the same boat after opening a premier In April 2019 and product changing to a double cash last year. My card number also changed. Even so, I'm planning to apply for a new card in July of this year since I haven't seen anything conclusive indicating I won't be eligible for a SUB.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:45 am

During the application, no, unfortunately. If you are approved a small note will typically be in the card paperwork that says you are ineligible for the bonus, but it doesn't help you ahead of time.
diesteldorf and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kdm31091
During the application, no, unfortunately. If you are approved a small note will typically be in the card paperwork that says you are ineligible for the bonus, but it doesn't help you ahead of time.
Thanks. I'll probably play it safe and wait to apply until July. 2022. I don't regret getting the Double Cash, but Citi's policy of resetting the 2 year clock for product changes is pretty strict. I suppose I could always call Citi, but if the CSR is wrong, will I really have any recourse.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
A few years ago, I was unsure if I qualified for a new AA card, so I called and asked. They were able to give me a quick answer, and went ahead and proactively gave me a retention offer for a different card while I was on the phone. Glad I called.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Also the timing of being eligible to get bonus, I'd like to know the insight of this. For example, if you got Citi Premier, let's say July 1st 2019, and you met the spending threshold to get bonus Sept 28th, 2019, but received the bonus later on Oct 10th, 2019.

When I apply for next TYP card, either Reward+ or Prestige, would I be eligible to get bonus if I apply on Sept 1st, 2021 but won't meet the spending threshold until Nov 1st, 2021? or will I simply have to wait until Nov 1st, 2021 to apply for either card to get bonus just to be safe? Perhaps a few data points of people who received bonus twice can/will confirm/clarify.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Bonus eligibility is determined at the time you submit the application.
LETTERBOY, vincewy and akr1970akr like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
So I screwed up. Had an AA business card back in 2018, 2022 makes it 4 years since the last bonus posting. I didn't have the old records anymore, and Citi couldn't tell me when exactly I got the bonus. I took a chance and applied earlier this year, met spend, etc. and it's been quite a few months now and still no sign-up bonus of 65,000 AA miles. How screwed am I, and do I have any chance in asking for it in part or for everything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.