Citi Merchant Offers

Old Sep 18, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Havek
I was able to add and use 1.5% once back in March. Doesn't explain why I am unable to add the 3%.
Once upon a time, there was language indicating the offer was only good once per linked card. My guess is they're not supposed to be displaying the offer, and the validating logic only kicks in when the add is attempted.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I said I would post back on experience.
I had 3 Citi cards with the Circle K Gas 10% offer, up to $5.00, may use offer 2 times
That means 6 opportunities to get cash back.

I'm amazed but 5 out of 6 of those transactions resulted in cash back.
But 1 out of 6 did not. No rhyme or reason.
I controlled myself (or tried) at least to not contact Citi for the last credit but I tried chat and as everyone would guess was told..."I'm sure it will post."
Mind you it's been 30 days since transaction and were one statement post date. All other credits posted in 5 business days.
The agent then said "it's called a statement credit because they post on the next statement." Umm okie dokie.
I'm letting it go as I'm just thankful that I got 5 out of 6 to work - but the inconsistency by far removes any confidence in the program and I probably wont use it in the future unless I know I wont get worked up if I dont get it credited.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by mrkymark
I'm letting it go as I'm just thankful that I got 5 out of 6 to work - but the inconsistency by far removes any confidence in the program and I probably wont use it in the future unless I know I wont get worked up if I dont get it credited.
My experience with these so far has also been very mixed, and I've also concluded that I probably won't even bother looking in the future. The delayed credit posting is particularly annoying, because it requires paying attention over a long period of time. Even the monthly GrubHub credits that I'm supposed to receive as an AA Exec cardholder never appear until the statement is issued.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I said I would post back on experience.
I had 3 Citi cards with the Circle K Gas 10% offer, up to $5.00, may use offer 2 times
That means 6 opportunities to get cash back.

I'm amazed but 5 out of 6 of those transactions resulted in cash back.
Did you buy gas (pay at the pump?), or something in the store?

I was surprised that I recently received a credit for giftcards.com -- I had added the offer to my card a while ago and it had disappeared before making the purchase, so I assumed that it had expired. Haven't really paid any attention to Citi offers in the past, but I am not shifting some spend over to the MileUp and Premier cards and thus am playing with Merchant Offers and Simplymiles.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did you buy gas (pay at the pump?), or something in the store?
My transactions followed the T&C's: all over $35.00 and always "pay at the pump."

I decided to go for all 6 cause I did a few initially and was super surprised that they posted (the 1st thru 4th transactions) and thought "oh citi merchants must be super reliable now " and then did the 5th and 6th.
And...well the 6th one failed me.

There was also a promo with Circle K where if you signed up for their rewards program first 5 fill ups were $0.20 off/gallon up to a certain amount of gallons (I forgot) so it was worth the chance to experiment. (mind you this was during Chase Freedom 5% on gas rotating category time - so I chose to do this instead of Chase)
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
My experience with these so far has also been very mixed, and I've also concluded that I probably won't even bother looking in the future. The delayed credit posting is particularly annoying, because it requires paying attention over a long period of time. Even the monthly GrubHub credits that I'm supposed to receive as an AA Exec cardholder never appear until the statement is issued.
Ah so then is it true that there is a pattern that the merchant credits won't post until the next statement is issued?

My experience:
09/16 Circle K Charge
09/19 Circle K Charge
09/20 Merchant Offers $5 credit (for 9/16 charge)
Statement closed 10/03

I would have expected something for the 9/19 charge to be on my account by now and agent seems to believe it will post magically on 11/03 statement.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Ah so then is it true that there is a pattern that the merchant credits won't post until the next statement is issued?

My experience:
09/16 Circle K Charge
09/19 Circle K Charge
09/20 Merchant Offers $5 credit (for 9/16 charge)
Statement closed 10/03

I would have expected something for the 9/19 charge to be on my account by now and agent seems to believe it will post magically on 11/03 statement.
I have (so far) seen a pattern of the GrubHub credits not posting until the statement is issued, but GrubHub is not (for me) a "merchant offer" it is a monthly credit that is supposed to come with the card. With respect to redeemable merchant offers, I've had two credits post within a matter of days, and one that they are now telling me may take up to 2 billing cycles. The variance suggests to me that Citi is waiting to get "reimbursed" from individual merchants and then passing on the credit to customers rather than just crediting the customers' accounts once a qualifying purchase has been made. But whether that is the cause or not, the variance in expected posting times makes the promised credits much less valuable, as it requires prolonged attention on my part.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 2:05 pm

Aside from sometimes not posting, now I see Citi merchant offers changing terms after enrollment.

I enrolled in a 3% offer, took a screenshot, made the purchase, and the next day it appears as enrolled in a 1.5% offer.

Edit: Despite what I saw the credit finally came through at the original 3%.

Last edited by rrgg; Nov 7, 2023 at 4:37 am
Old Nov 1, 2023, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Aside from sometimes not posting, now I see Citi merchant offers changing terms after enrollment.

I enrolled in a 3% offer, took a screenshot, made the purchase, and the next day it appears as enrolled in a 1.5% offer.
This happened to me also. Unbelievably shady.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by neo848943
This happened to me also. Unbelievably shady.
Does that mean you already received the credit, and it was for the latter amount? I'm still waiting to see what happens, but dealing with Citi mistakes is a sisyphean task.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rrgg

Would that perhaps be gift cards.com?

I signed up for 3% offers on both of my Citi cards yesterday. After your post I just check, and the offer has disappeared from one card and is reduced to 1.5% on the other.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 4:36 am

It turns out Citi posted the current 3% credit in the end!
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:21 am

I wish they would generate an email or push notification or anything, that an offer has been redeemed. You no longer can see redeemed offers, only Enrolled.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week I signed up for a Motley Fool subscription for $89 to earn 6700 LP/miles via AA Shopping. A couple of days later I noticed that a Motley Fool 20% cashback offer had appeared on my Citi MileUP card that I had used to pay for the subscription. I was pretty annoyed by the timing, but clicked the "Add" button anyway. Much to my surprise I just noticed that I received the cashback.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Last week I signed up for a Motley Fool subscription for $89 to earn 6700 LP/miles via AA Shopping. A couple of days later I noticed that a Motley Fool 20% cashback offer had appeared on my Citi MileUP card that I had used to pay for the subscription. I was pretty annoyed by the timing, but clicked the "Add" button anyway. Much to my surprise I just noticed that I received the cashback.
Did you get the miles tho? I have heard that using a Merchant Offer and AAdvantage offer can be disqualifying and apparently Fool.com is very good at that.

I saw the merchant offer, but declined to use it because of that. Rather get the miles than cashback

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.