FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi Premier refresh (2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/2015377-citi-premier-refresh-2020-a.html)

geoff325 Apr 13, 2020 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by kdm31091 (Post 32289206)
Straight up cash back is only 0.5cpp. There's a "pay with points" or something like that that allows you to offset specific purchases with a statement credit and that one is a slightly better value but still below 1cpp. Amazon shop with points and the other options are 0.8cpp I believe. If you have a Prestige, the cash back is 1cpp, but with all the other cards, it's lower.

The best non-travel redemption for anything besides the Prestige would be gift cards as most if not all are 1cpp. There's a decent enough selection that I would think most people can find something they'd use.

GC also have 10 percent off at times

xov91 Apr 18, 2020 9:34 am

Does anyone see a good case for keeping the premier over the amex gold? I have both at the moment. Fee for my gold card just posted today and my premier's fee will post shortly. I've made good use of both my TY points and MR, but I don't see a reason to have both cards after all of the changes to the premier.

Pros for the gold: higher earn rates on dining and grocery, MR are a bit more valuable, can easily use the dining credit, can still cashout MR for a few months before I likely cancel my schwab plat

Cons for the gold: airline credit, higher fee, poor downgrade option

Pros for the premier: lower fee, broad categories, portal boost for the next year, better downgrade options

Cons for the premier: lower multipliers, TY points are a bit less valuable, not really a con but I don't have a double cash so no uplift there

I will of course try for a retention offer on my gold. If that's successful, I'll downgrade the premier to a double cash. Otherwise, I'm having a harder time with this decision than I probably should. My spreadsheet points to the gold being a slightly better deal over all. Also, I likely won't use either for prepaid travel expenses as even the no-fee sapphire card has better travel protections. For now I still have a schwab plat and a CSR and will likely keep the CSR as is or downgrade to a CSP at renewal time in December.

Anyway, as I mentioned, the math points to the gold card for my particular situation, but I'm curious if anyone else sees the premier as the better option.

geoff325 Apr 18, 2020 3:54 pm

I would keep both. Super easy to use credits for amex, so really only 30 bucks a year. And I always get the best amex offers on that card. Easy to come out ahead just on offers. So then use Citi mostly. I might start doing some light MS, so will top out 25k on amex and still have Citi to get bonus on groceries. Plus where I live plenty of places don't take amex so Citi is good to have visa.

sdsearch Apr 18, 2020 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by xov91 (Post 32304121)
Also, I likely won't use either for prepaid travel expenses as even the no-fee sapphire card has better travel protections. For now I still have a schwab plat and a CSR and will likely keep the CSR as is or downgrade to a CSP at renewal time in December.

Well, if you have CSR that's quite different than for someone doesn't have any other card with a travel category.

I don't book prepaid travel other than airline flights, which I use other cards for. I use my Citi Premier card a lot for pay-upon-arrival hotel stays (for hotels where I don't a hotel program card), and I don't see another $95 card that's better for those kind of expenses, plus for gas, and neither of those require "protection", and neither of those are going away.

I'll miss being able to use my Citi Premier card for "the broadest definition of travel", but I didn't get to use it for the kinds of travel that it's getting rid of that much (some years not at all).

lsquare Apr 19, 2020 4:40 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 32305449)
Well, if you have CSR that's quite different than for someone doesn't have any other card with a travel category.

I don't book prepaid travel other than airline flights, which I use other cards for. I use my Citi Premier card a lot for pay-upon-arrival hotel stays (for hotels where I don't a hotel program card), and I don't see another $95 card that's better for those kind of expenses, plus for gas, and neither of those require "protection", and neither of those are going away.

I'll miss being able to use my Citi Premier card for "the broadest definition of travel", but I didn't get to use it for the kinds of travel that it's getting rid of that much (some years not at all).

I wish Citi would just raise the AF to $125/year and keep the broad travel category in addition to the grocery category.

mikesyr18 Apr 19, 2020 8:24 am

Does anyone see a good case for keeping the premier over the amex gold? I have both at the moment. Fee for my gold card just posted today and my premier's fee will post shortly. I've made good use of both my TY points and MR, but I don't see a reason to have both cards after all of the changes to the premier.

Pros for the gold: higher earn rates on dining and grocery, MR are a bit more valuable, can easily use the dining credit, can still cashout MR for a few months before I likely cancel my schwab plat

Pros for the premier: lower fee, broad categories, portal boost for the next year, better downgrade options

Cons for the premier: lower multipliers, TY points are a bit less valuable, not really a con but I don't have a double cash so no uplift there

I will of course try for a retention offer on my gold. If that's successful, I'll downgrade the premier to a double cash. Otherwise, I'm having a harder time with this decision than I probably should. My spreadsheet points to the gold being a slightly better deal over all. Also, I likely won't use either for prepaid travel expenses as even the no-fee sapphire card has better travel protections. For now I still have a schwab plat and a CSR and will likely keep the CSR as is or downgrade to a CSP at renewal time in December.

Anyway, as I mentioned, the math points to the gold card for my particular situation, but I'm curious if anyone else sees the premier as the better option.

I fail to understand how the airline credit is a 'con' for the gold. At least AMEX offers something worthwhile... Citi will try to trick you into thinking their travel credit is actually a benefit, when they'll actually just raise the price and take a commission at the same time.

I would say DC is a better card for everyday spend if you just want one credit card. There's no AF and you earn 2x TYP on everything. I could even argue DC and Rewards+ is a better combination for no AF than the Premier at this point because you have the ability to accumulate more TY points, but then again, you wouldn't be able to transfer these points to airline partners.

Adelphos Apr 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 32306572)

I would say DC is a better card for everyday spend if you just want one credit card. There's no AF and you earn 2x TYP on everything. I could even argue DC and Rewards+ is a better combination for no AF than the Premier at this point because you have the ability to accumulate more TY points, but then again, you wouldn't be able to transfer these points to airline partners.

If you have any interest in transferring to partners, this DC is effectively a $95 fee card (at a minimum) because you have to hold a Citi Premier or Citi Prestige. The only card I believe that offers transferable points with no fee is the CapOne VentureOne...

xov91 Apr 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 32306572)
I fail to understand how the airline credit is a 'con' for the gold. At least AMEX offers something worthwhile... Citi will try to trick you into thinking their travel credit is actually a benefit, when they'll actually just raise the price and take a commission at the same time

Notice that I didn't mention the Citi hotel credit. If I'm booking a hotel stay for $500+, I'm definitely not using the Citi portal.

I guess the amex airline credit is not a con in a literal sense, but it is enough of a pain to use that I consider it to be worth significantly less than face.

mikesyr18 Apr 19, 2020 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 32307136)
If you have any interest in transferring to partners, this DC is effectively a $95 fee card (at a minimum) because you have to hold a Citi Premier or Citi Prestige. The only card I believe that offers transferable points with no fee is the CapOne VentureOne...

Amex Everyday does as well, but yes, I agree.

Not sure which Citi card is more worthless now... The Prestige or the Premier. I don't see the point of having either in your wallet for simple redemptions. If I want to simply redeem my miles for a flight from RSW to Denver, or transfer to hotel partners like Hyatt, obviously, a Citi card isn't right for me.
I can find better elsewhere. I understand others love redeeming for international flights, or redeeming through alliances, but that's a small portion of "credit card gurus."

Corbat and his executives have turned Citi into a circus. It seems to me like the U.S is not one of Citi's strongest markets.

yugi Apr 20, 2020 7:42 am

3x on groceries is uncapped, unlike Amex, you don't need to jump through the hoops of redeeming airline credits, some of which was recently clawed back by Amex. No need to use $10 idiotic monthly credit. I value this credit at $60 per year at best, so the total AF is $90, if Amex claws back my airline credits, then AF becomes $190, and it won't worth it. Would rather get Amex EDP for groceries, which give 4.5x on groceries, but it's capped at $6k. Gas is also 3x and uncapped, but you need to do 30+ transactions per cycle, which is another idiotic requirement. Screw that, I'd rather use Premier with no hassles.

Adelphos Apr 20, 2020 11:09 am

Basic question - most of the posts about Citi Premier and Double Cash are involve taking points earned via Double Cash and converting them into transferable Thank You Points. Can you do this the other way - can you earn 3x on travel, groceries, dining, etc and convert back to cash by transferring to Double Cash?

exarkun Apr 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 32309534)
Basic question - most of the posts about Citi Premier and Double Cash are involve taking points earned via Double Cash and converting them into transferable Thank You Points. Can you do this the other way - can you earn 3x on travel, groceries, dining, etc and convert back to cash by transferring to Double Cash?

No

akr1970akr Apr 20, 2020 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 32309534)

no but you can just get a statement credit.

moe8555 Apr 20, 2020 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr (Post 32310056)
no but you can just get a statement credit.

Not 1cpp unless you have Prestige...

akr1970akr Apr 21, 2020 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 32311089)
Not 1cpp unless you have Prestige...

I can't explain why, but I can still (so far) get 1cpp statement credits even without a Prestige. It appears I can even do that with straight cash back too.