Citi Premier refresh (2020)

Old Apr 9, 20, 10:26 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TYS/BNA/ATL
Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 1,511
Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
Gas is like $1.85 a gallon right now... That is the only reason why Citi kept the category.

I'm not sure what value people find with Citi TY partners when they're way behind Chase and AMEX.

What makes this card better than the Sapphire Preferred?
Turkish.
yugi is offline  
Old Apr 9, 20, 10:28 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TYS/BNA/ATL
Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 1,511
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
There is FTF on the DC though.
I have one grandfathered card with no FTF, which gives 3.33% effective cashback on everything. Also there is USB AR, which gives 4.5% cashback on most travel and mobile transactions.
yugi is offline  
Old Apr 9, 20, 10:34 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 7,325
Originally Posted by yugi View Post
I have one grandfathered card with no FTF, which gives 3.33% effective cashback on everything. Also there is USB AR, which gives 4.5% cashback on most travel and mobile transactions.
Whoa? Which one? Lucky you! Citi DC is still a good card to have though.
lsquare is offline  
Old Apr 9, 20, 11:05 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by yugi View Post
Turkish.
Also avianca for United. And transfer bonuses. Yes I know amex has them too
geoff325 is offline  
Old Apr 10, 20, 6:45 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TYS/BNA/ATL
Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 1,511
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Whoa? Which one? Lucky you! Citi DC is still a good card to have though.
It's Barclays Priceline 2x on everything card. Got it in 2012. Every point worth 1.67c. No AF, no FTF.
lsquare likes this.
yugi is offline  
Old Apr 10, 20, 8:41 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 2,035
Originally Posted by geoff325 View Post
Because lots of people don't spend a lot on travel. Plus this earns more on travel. Most people spend a lot at the grocery store and on gas. Not everyone lives in NYC and doesn't have a car and eats out most meals. This card is awesome now (less the 1.25).
This card is built for people that travel, no? Cash redemptions are less than 1 cpp on the Premier, unlike the Prestige.
mikesyr18 is offline  
Old Apr 10, 20, 8:53 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 183
Yes I understand. I have always found 3x gas to be more important and differentiating than 3x travel. Also, we got lost in FT world and reddit not all travel is international business class to Maldives. Like I don't need travel protection and baggage delay when I book a hotel on a road trip.
geoff325 is offline  
Old Apr 10, 20, 11:06 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 2,035
Originally Posted by geoff325 View Post
Yes I understand. I have always found 3x gas to be more important and differentiating than 3x travel. Also, we got lost in FT world and reddit not all travel is international business class to Maldives. Like I don't need travel protection and baggage delay when I book a hotel on a road trip.
Citi's airline partners (besides Jet Blue) are all international, or you have to utilize alliances to get anywhere domestically. I don't see how this card could possibly be useful for a road trip unless you're spending thousands every year on gas, but then where are you redeeming your earned points for a decent value otherwise?
mikesyr18 is offline  
Old Apr 10, 20, 11:30 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
Citi's airline partners (besides Jet Blue) are all international, or you have to utilize alliances to get anywhere domestically. I don't see how this card could possibly be useful for a road trip unless you're spending thousands every year on gas, but then where are you redeeming your earned points for a decent value otherwise?
I understand what you are saying. I am talking more for points earning than using points. And yes alliance partners. Anyways, not every card is best for every situation, that's what makes this hobby fun.

And yes, middle America where everyone drives an. F250 and gets 15 miles a gallon? Gas adds up fast.

Last edited by mia; Apr 10, 20 at 11:41 am
geoff325 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 20, 7:00 pm
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,072
Originally Posted by zymm View Post
This should be a positive for me with my spend patterns. I'll miss the 2x on Entertainment, but it's always been a bit hit or miss what gets coded as entertainment anyway so not a huge loss.
No need to miss 2x on anything. Just get a DoubleCash card, convert to TYP, redeem through your Premier account, and voila 2x on Entertainment and everything else.

So as long as you also have a DoubleCash card, what does it matter if any other ThankYou points earning card loses 2x on this or that? It's the losses of 3x (or above) that can't be compensated for by switching those purchases to DoubleCash.

Yes, if you occasionally use the 2x outside the US, that may matter, but if you do math, I bet you'll earn more TYP total by having DoubleCash and being able to use in on way more "non category" stuff in the US than you'll lose on occasionally not earning 2x but just 1x outside the US on entertainment (unless you spend unusually high amounts on entertainment overseas).

And I find the "entertainment" doesn't work as reliably as I might like anyway. My favorite local concert place (about a mile or two from me) is a concert stage inside a music equipment store, and purchases of concert tickets there code as a music equipment store, and Citi doesn't count that as "entertainment" (nor I bet will it count it as "live entertainment" in the future). With DoubleCash you don't have to worry how something codes.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 1:49 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SEA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by geoff325 View Post
Also avianca for United. And transfer bonuses. Yes I know amex has them too
While I tend to prefer Chase's transfer partners, I value TYP as similar to Chase UR points because of transfer bonuses. But where have they been this year? Last year there was 6, and by this time last year we were nearing the end of the second (Turkish in Jan/Feb and Qantas in March/April). I know there are bigger issues right now, but definitely hope we see some transfer bonuses in the near future.
lsquare and geoff325 like this.

Last edited by Biscoff27; Apr 12, 20 at 11:25 am
Biscoff27 is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 8:49 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 400
Originally Posted by akr1970akr View Post
You can get easy retention offers on the Premier, and often keep the card for free.
Is there a trick to this? Just call and ask? I just got the Premier a couple months ago. I'd like to keep it, but I don't think I will if I have to pay the $95 annual fee again. It's not worth it to me after the SUB. I have 10 months until I need to worry about it.

Originally Posted by yugi View Post
Turkish.
This is the reason I got the Premier in the first place! I needed some Miles&Smiles, with no other feasible way to get them by the time I needed them. The Premier's SUB worked great!
g289t is offline  
Old Apr 12, 20, 9:07 pm
  #43  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,693
Originally Posted by g289t View Post
Just call and ask? .
Correct. Read here to see the range of results: Citi retention offers (all cards)
mia is offline  
Old Apr 13, 20, 9:20 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 809
Can anyone share the alternative redemption options for citi premier TYPs?

I'm considering signing up for a premier along with the rewards+ card for their bonus offers. Given the current foreseeable travel conditions, I want to have some other useful method to cash out the points in case it comes to that.

What is the statement credit redemption rate? Is it limited to specific vendors?
Is converting to cash still only .5 cpp?

Are there any other interesting options?
exarkun is offline  
Old Apr 13, 20, 10:12 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by exarkun View Post
Can anyone share the alternative redemption options for citi premier TYPs?

I'm considering signing up for a premier along with the rewards+ card for their bonus offers. Given the current foreseeable travel conditions, I want to have some other useful method to cash out the points in case it comes to that.

What is the statement credit redemption rate? Is it limited to specific vendors?
Is converting to cash still only .5 cpp?

Are there any other interesting options?
Straight up cash back is only 0.5cpp. There's a "pay with points" or something like that that allows you to offset specific purchases with a statement credit and that one is a slightly better value but still below 1cpp. Amazon shop with points and the other options are 0.8cpp I believe. If you have a Prestige, the cash back is 1cpp, but with all the other cards, it's lower.

The best non-travel redemption for anything besides the Prestige would be gift cards as most if not all are 1cpp. There's a decent enough selection that I would think most people can find something they'd use.
kdm31091 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: