FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi Premier refresh (2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/2015377-citi-premier-refresh-2020-a.html)

yugi Apr 9, 2020 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 32280058)
Gas is like $1.85 a gallon right now... That is the only reason why Citi kept the category.

I'm not sure what value people find with Citi TY partners when they're way behind Chase and AMEX.

What makes this card better than the Sapphire Preferred?

Turkish.

yugi Apr 9, 2020 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 32279961)
There is FTF on the DC though.

I have one grandfathered card with no FTF, which gives 3.33% effective cashback on everything. Also there is USB AR, which gives 4.5% cashback on most travel and mobile transactions.

lsquare Apr 9, 2020 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 32280490)
I have one grandfathered card with no FTF, which gives 3.33% effective cashback on everything. Also there is USB AR, which gives 4.5% cashback on most travel and mobile transactions.

Whoa? Which one? Lucky you! Citi DC is still a good card to have though.

geoff325 Apr 9, 2020 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 32280487)
Turkish.

Also avianca for United. And transfer bonuses. Yes I know amex has them too

yugi Apr 10, 2020 5:45 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 32280495)
Whoa? Which one? Lucky you! Citi DC is still a good card to have though.

It's Barclays Priceline 2x on everything card. Got it in 2012. Every point worth 1.67c. No AF, no FTF.

mikesyr18 Apr 10, 2020 7:41 am

Originally Posted by geoff325 (Post 32280090)
Because lots of people don't spend a lot on travel. Plus this earns more on travel. Most people spend a lot at the grocery store and on gas. Not everyone lives in NYC and doesn't have a car and eats out most meals. This card is awesome now (less the 1.25).

This card is built for people that travel, no? Cash redemptions are less than 1 cpp on the Premier, unlike the Prestige.

geoff325 Apr 10, 2020 7:53 am

Yes I understand. I have always found 3x gas to be more important and differentiating than 3x travel. Also, we got lost in FT world and reddit not all travel is international business class to Maldives. Like I don't need travel protection and baggage delay when I book a hotel on a road trip.

mikesyr18 Apr 10, 2020 10:06 am

Originally Posted by geoff325 (Post 32281453)
Yes I understand. I have always found 3x gas to be more important and differentiating than 3x travel. Also, we got lost in FT world and reddit not all travel is international business class to Maldives. Like I don't need travel protection and baggage delay when I book a hotel on a road trip.

Citi's airline partners (besides Jet Blue) are all international, or you have to utilize alliances to get anywhere domestically. I don't see how this card could possibly be useful for a road trip unless you're spending thousands every year on gas, but then where are you redeeming your earned points for a decent value otherwise?

geoff325 Apr 10, 2020 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 32281790)
Citi's airline partners (besides Jet Blue) are all international, or you have to utilize alliances to get anywhere domestically. I don't see how this card could possibly be useful for a road trip unless you're spending thousands every year on gas, but then where are you redeeming your earned points for a decent value otherwise?

I understand what you are saying. I am talking more for points earning than using points. And yes alliance partners. Anyways, not every card is best for every situation, that's what makes this hobby fun.

And yes, middle America where everyone drives an. F250 and gets 15 miles a gallon? Gas adds up fast.

sdsearch Apr 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by zymm (Post 32278783)
This should be a positive for me with my spend patterns. I'll miss the 2x on Entertainment, but it's always been a bit hit or miss what gets coded as entertainment anyway so not a huge loss.

No need to miss 2x on anything. Just get a DoubleCash card, convert to TYP, redeem through your Premier account, and voila 2x on Entertainment and everything else.

So as long as you also have a DoubleCash card, what does it matter if any other ThankYou points earning card loses 2x on this or that? It's the losses of 3x (or above) that can't be compensated for by switching those purchases to DoubleCash.

Yes, if you occasionally use the 2x outside the US, that may matter, but if you do math, I bet you'll earn more TYP total by having DoubleCash and being able to use in on way more "non category" stuff in the US than you'll lose on occasionally not earning 2x but just 1x outside the US on entertainment (unless you spend unusually high amounts on entertainment overseas).

And I find the "entertainment" doesn't work as reliably as I might like anyway. My favorite local concert place (about a mile or two from me) is a concert stage inside a music equipment store, and purchases of concert tickets there code as a music equipment store, and Citi doesn't count that as "entertainment" (nor I bet will it count it as "live entertainment" in the future). With DoubleCash you don't have to worry how something codes.

Biscoff27 Apr 12, 2020 12:49 am

Originally Posted by geoff325 (Post 32280537)
Also avianca for United. And transfer bonuses. Yes I know amex has them too

While I tend to prefer Chase's transfer partners, I value TYP as similar to Chase UR points because of transfer bonuses. But where have they been this year? Last year there was 6, and by this time last year we were nearing the end of the second (Turkish in Jan/Feb and Qantas in March/April). I know there are bigger issues right now, but definitely hope we see some transfer bonuses in the near future.

g289t Apr 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr (Post 32280154)
You can get easy retention offers on the Premier, and often keep the card for free.

Is there a trick to this? Just call and ask? I just got the Premier a couple months ago. I'd like to keep it, but I don't think I will if I have to pay the $95 annual fee again. It's not worth it to me after the SUB. I have 10 months until I need to worry about it.

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 32280487)
Turkish.

This is the reason I got the Premier in the first place! I needed some Miles&Smiles, with no other feasible way to get them by the time I needed them. The Premier's SUB worked great!

mia Apr 12, 2020 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by g289t (Post 32288071)
Just call and ask? .

Correct. Read here to see the range of results: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...all-cards.html

exarkun Apr 13, 2020 8:20 am

Can anyone share the alternative redemption options for citi premier TYPs?

I'm considering signing up for a premier along with the rewards+ card for their bonus offers. Given the current foreseeable travel conditions, I want to have some other useful method to cash out the points in case it comes to that.

What is the statement credit redemption rate? Is it limited to specific vendors?
Is converting to cash still only .5 cpp?

Are there any other interesting options?

kdm31091 Apr 13, 2020 9:12 am

Originally Posted by exarkun (Post 32289073)
Can anyone share the alternative redemption options for citi premier TYPs?

I'm considering signing up for a premier along with the rewards+ card for their bonus offers. Given the current foreseeable travel conditions, I want to have some other useful method to cash out the points in case it comes to that.

What is the statement credit redemption rate? Is it limited to specific vendors?
Is converting to cash still only .5 cpp?

Are there any other interesting options?

Straight up cash back is only 0.5cpp. There's a "pay with points" or something like that that allows you to offset specific purchases with a statement credit and that one is a slightly better value but still below 1cpp. Amazon shop with points and the other options are 0.8cpp I believe. If you have a Prestige, the cash back is 1cpp, but with all the other cards, it's lower.

The best non-travel redemption for anything besides the Prestige would be gift cards as most if not all are 1cpp. There's a decent enough selection that I would think most people can find something they'd use.