FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi Premier refresh (2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/2015377-citi-premier-refresh-2020-a.html)

kdm31091 Apr 9, 2020 7:40 am

Unsurprisingly, the page also mentions that you can't stack the 4th Night Free with the $100 credit if you have both Premier and Prestige.

"The $100 annual hotel savings benefit cannot be combined in the same transaction with the Citi Prestige® Card Complimentary 4th Night Hotel Stay if you have both the Citi Premier and Citi Prestige cards. This benefit also cannot be combined with any other promotions or discounts on thankyou.com"

yugi Apr 9, 2020 7:42 am

Originally Posted by kdm31091 (Post 32278490)
I find it hard to believe the supermarket category would be uncapped given that even the Rewards+ is capped at 6k and that is only paying 2x.

If it is uncapped, not going to last long, but then again Citi changes the cards around constantly anyway.

For existing users, it's a good deal through April 2021 since you retain all the old benefits, get none of the drawbacks, and get the new benefits. It's after April 2021 that things change and the value proposition becomes weaker.

But gas stations are uncapped right now, compared to capped for Rewards+

yugi Apr 9, 2020 7:46 am

Originally Posted by kdm31091 (Post 32278509)
Unsurprisingly, the page also mentions that you can't stack the 4th Night Free with the $100 credit if you have both Premier and Prestige.

"The $100 annual hotel savings benefit cannot be combined in the same transaction with the Citi Prestige® Card Complimentary 4th Night Hotel Stay if you have both the Citi Premier and Citi Prestige cards. This benefit also cannot be combined with any other promotions or discounts on thankyou.com"

How will they be able to differentiate between these? If you buy 4 nights and you have both, and it's more than $500? That means you will need to choose one or another benefit?
On the other side, it will be possible to use this benefit when booking with TYP. That's a win!

To receive the $100 annual hotel savings, you must pre-pay for your complete stay with your Citi Premier Card, ThankYou Points, or a combination thereof. If you choose to use the benefit, the $100 annual hotel savings will be applied at the time of booking.
So, I guess there will be a checkbox in order to choose using this benefit.

kdm31091 Apr 9, 2020 7:46 am

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 32278523)
How will they be able to differentiate between this? If you buy 4 nights and you have both, and it's more than $500? That means you will need to choose one or another benefit?

Yes, one or the other, the way I'm reading the terms. You either get the 4th Night Free or the $100 discount.

zymm Apr 9, 2020 9:26 am

This should be a positive for me with my spend patterns. I'll miss the 2x on Entertainment, but it's always been a bit hit or miss what gets coded as entertainment anyway so not a huge loss.

nall Apr 9, 2020 9:28 am

This is disappointing. I liked getting the bonus redeeming my banking points for airfare, and you can't transfer those, so... I wonder what the best use for those points will be going forward.

yugi Apr 9, 2020 10:22 am

Originally Posted by zymm (Post 32278783)
This should be a positive for me with my spend patterns. I'll miss the 2x on Entertainment, but it's always been a bit hit or miss what gets coded as entertainment anyway so not a huge loss.

You can use Double Cash, it gives 2x for everything

kdm31091 Apr 9, 2020 11:26 am

I think "entertainment" just tends to be a confusing category. Citi excluded things like bowling, which is a thing you do for fun/entertainment. Where you do draw the line? It seems to be basically only "passive" entertainment, anything you do not actually participate in, but even that would seem to exclude amusement parks, which Citi does not exclude. You'd also assume video game stores would be considered entertainment and according to Citi they are not.

Probably easier to just get rid of the category and remove the confusion. Plus 2x is pretty meaningless since you can get 2x everything with the DC anyway.

akr1970akr Apr 9, 2020 11:37 am

The $100 discount plus the 25% uplift until they take it away makes the TYP portal ok for booking a hotel stay again maybe once a year, at some place where you won't get hosed on the rate. But as many of us are discovering there are other risks involved when using these OTAs or Bank Portals to use points, so for now, I'm just turning every TYP we get into statement credits as they post. I don't see travel normalizing for a year or two, so many of these new benefits seem really academic to me. And I'll have a out of refunds/travel credits floating around that will either expire or be wasted so that would be the first priority to use before using up cash like things.

I don't see the point of the travel portal going forward if its 1:1 for usage, with all the drawbacks it comes with (non direct booking, no ebates, no loyalty points/status, problems dealing with refunds/rebookings etc.)

PS: don't forget that although its not advertised for now the Premier card holder still gets 25% uplift on hotel bookings via the portal, although no one should be booking travel now.

Biscoff27 Apr 9, 2020 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 32278933)

True. This works in the US. I used to (try to) use the entertainment category when traveling abroad, for museums, etc. Double Cash has a foreign transaction fee so it usually stays at home. Though coding as entertainment was often an issue, and the amount spent in this category is relatively low. So not really a game changer for me.

lsquare Apr 9, 2020 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 32278933)

There is FTF on the DC though.

mikesyr18 Apr 9, 2020 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xavier110 (Post 32276708)
One note since I wasn't sure reading your post: 3x on gas stays according to OMAAT. I think these changes are overall a huge plus for me. I use my Premier often already, but it would become my go-to card for everything: eating out, groceries, travel and gas.

I'd probably keep my Amex Platinum for the benefits, and maybe hold onto my Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Otherwise, all my annual fee cards would be expendable.

Gas is like $1.85 a gallon right now... That is the only reason why Citi kept the category.

I'm not sure what value people find with Citi TY partners when they're way behind Chase and AMEX.

What makes this card better than the Sapphire Preferred?

geoff325 Apr 9, 2020 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 32280058)
Gas is like $1.85 a gallon right now... That is the only reason why Citi kept the category.

I'm not sure what value people find with Citi TY partners when they're way behind Chase and AMEX.

Because lots of people don't spend a lot on travel. Plus this earns more on travel. Most people spend a lot at the grocery store and on gas. Not everyone lives in NYC and doesn't have a car and eats out most meals. This card is awesome now (less the 1.25).

akr1970akr Apr 9, 2020 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 32280058)

You can get easy retention offers on the Premier, and often keep the card for free. It's harder to do that with Chase, even if one spends with them.

kdm31091 Apr 9, 2020 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr (Post 32279153)
But as many of us are discovering there are other risks involved when using these OTAs or Bank Portals to use points,

I would hope that the portals will have better and easier ways to cancel and adjust your plans after this fiasco. I doubt they want a repeat of the ongoing hours-long hold times on the phone. We'll see.