Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cit AA Executive annual fee and AC Closures: $225 credit "upon renewal".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cit AA Executive annual fee and AC Closures: $225 credit "upon renewal".

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I haven't received anything from Citi. Is your fee due soon?
The sender was AA, not Citi, and yes, my annual fee is assessed in the August statement.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by TWA884
The sender was AA, not Citi, and yes, my annual fee is assessed in the August statement.
Just paid my annual fee.

I did get the email for the $225 credit.
In my opinion, getting a year's worth of club access (which is really what I am buying with this card) for all of $225 is a steal. All my kids and wife have the card and they do travel, so even if we were unable to use the card for the first half of the year, Citi in essence gave us, who missed the first 6 months of this year, a pass with the credit. I feel this was fair.

And as I have said before, who knows what else they may throw my way due to this virus.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Just got off the phone with Citi AA Executive card. I had called to get a credit refunded to my bank account. While I was on phone with him, I asked when do I need to cancel my card to receive the full annual fee back (just paid it last statement). He volunteered that I would receive a 225 credit on my next statement.

I had never received an email about this offer, I hope it happens!
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:45 am
Suspended

Hi there,

The regular $450 annual fee was just charged to our card a few days ago. How do you suggest going about getting half of it back/refunded as has been noted in the prior posts above? Can I just send them a message through the website? Is there any phraseology or terms I should use that will help my case?

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MrAnonymous
Hi there,

The regular $450 annual fee was just charged to our card a few days ago. How do you suggest going about getting half of it back/refunded as has been noted in the prior posts above? Can I just send them a message through the website? Is there any phraseology or terms I should use that will help my case?

Thanks!
You will be receiving the credit automatically within one or two billing cycles.

From the email which I received in early June:
We recognize that due to the COVID-19 pandemic it may be difficult to utilize some of the benefits that come with your Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card, including your Admirals Club® membership.

As a one-time courtesy, you will be receiving a $225 statement credit to your card account upon renewal*. If you opened your Executive card account prior to April 1, 2020, look for the credit to post to your account within 1-2 billing cycles after your next renewal date. Thank you for your continued card membership.

*Terms and Conditions
To qualify for this one-time $225 statement credit, your Executive Card Account must have opened on or before March 31, 2020, have an assessed Annual Fee of $350 or more at your next renewal and be open at the time the statement credit is posted. The statement credit will post 1-2 billing cycles after your next Annual Fee is charged to your Card Account.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
You will be receiving the credit automatically within one or two billing cycles.

From the email which I received in early June:

Thank you. I just reached out to them via online chat and it's been confirmed. I appreciate that.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Received my $225 rebate one month after renewal fee was paid.

No muss or fuss.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by tbone14
I concur. There is no reason to force account holders who had an annual fee posted earlier in 2020 to wait until 2021 for the credit. That is unfair. Any annual fee for the year of 2020 should receive the credit this year, in my opinion.

I did file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (https://www.consumerfinance.gov). My complaints were:
1. It was not fair to apply the $225 credit in 2021.
2. It was not fair to for Citi to keep my entire annual fee when I canceled the card.

I am hoping to receive either a $225 credit, or a pro-rated fee. The CFPB has sent my complain to Citi and we are waiting to hear their response.
I'm in the same boat. Have you heard back from Citi? Has the CFPB responsed?
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:15 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I would be a lot happier if they just billed you $225 then having you pay $450 and giving you a credit the following month. I don't even use this card except of AA purchases which are zero and admirals club access and will end having to remember to get it out and spend the $225 when it hits.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm in the same boat. Have you heard back from Citi? Has the CFPB responsed?
They upheld their decision. In July, Citi allowed me to re-open my account and downgrade to the no annual fee Costco Citi card. I had to pay the annual fee for Costco. To my surprise however, I was credited the full annual fee ($450) back. This has left a bad taste in my mouth. I may consider canceling the Costco card once I have spent the credit balance. The next time I apply for the AA card for lounge access, I would then be eligible for the miles promotion.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:18 am
Suspended

Additional Data Point:

My $225 credit posted yesterday. This was on the first statement AFTER the annual fee was billed.

$450 Billed on July 13th statement.
$225 Credit given on August 13th statement.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:51 pm

Uhg. Knew it was too good to be true:

AF billed in May. Called beginning of June to cancel card. Rep told me that I would receive the 225 on the next one or two statements. Based on this kept card open.
Called in Sept when 225 hadn't hit. Rep told me that June rep was wrong and I won't get it until next May when fee is billed.
I said please credit now or close and refund full fee. Of course he said no. I said then close and prorate fee. Nope. I said I want to dispute the fee so someone higher up can review. No. I asked how to file a compliant. He said no. Supervisor. No. Listen to tape of first call. No. A very helpful agent

I have since emailed Citi Execs from Chris Elliott travel website (He lists names and email addresses) and of course filled out the survey sent out after the call. No response.

What should I do next? I want to escalate this on principal. They aren't doing what they said they would.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
What should I do next?
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:55 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Uhg. Knew it was too good to be true:

AF billed in May. Called beginning of June to cancel card. Rep told me that I would receive the 225 on the next one or two statements. Based on this kept card open.
Called in Sept when 225 hadn't hit. Rep told me that June rep was wrong and I won't get it until next May when fee is billed.
I said please credit now or close and refund full fee. Of course he said no. I said then close and prorate fee. Nope. I said I want to dispute the fee so someone higher up can review. No. I asked how to file a compliant. He said no. Supervisor. No. Listen to tape of first call. No. A very helpful agent

I have since emailed Citi Execs from Chris Elliott travel website (He lists names and email addresses) and of course filled out the survey sent out after the call. No response.

What should I do next? I want to escalate this on principal. They aren't doing what they said they would.
FriscoHeavy in the quote above says something totally different. Are there any other data points?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:23 pm

The oh so helpful rep explained to me if you AF billed before June 1 (Mine billed May 24) you get the credit the next year. If it bills after June 1, you get the credit this year 1 to 2 statements after the fee hits. Not that I trust Citi Reps anymore....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.