Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cit AA Executive annual fee and AC Closures: $225 credit "upon renewal".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cit AA Executive annual fee and AC Closures: $225 credit "upon renewal".

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:16 am

wi

Folks just cancel or downgrade your card within 37 days of posting. All of this speculation. Is just speculation. Why take the chance in this environment? Or waste time ? Or hope for an extension when you have a clear method ?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:12 pm

Just called because my 37 days is coming up fairly soon. The agent seemed fairly knowledgeable and said they are "in discussions" with American about lounge access, but had no specific information. She conceded that it was quite possible there would be no information before day 37 and they had no offers for me. I've had the card for at least 5 years and have put enough on it during several years to earn the EQM, so a not insignificant amount. Downgraded to mileup card. If the card sticks around I'm eligible again for a new sign up bonus if the terms stay the same, so it was a relatively easy decision.
mia likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:30 pm

Good move ! Not sure why everyone is not downgrading or canceling. A sure thing in a unsure world.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Good move ! Not sure why everyone is not downgrading or canceling. A sure thing in a unsure world.
The only reason was concern about not being able to get it again when AA clubs open back up. I definitely want this card but I am also working on getting under 5/24 so it does come with a little bit of downside. I would have just kept it if I could have gotten a retention offer that defrayed half or more of the annual fee, but with them offering zero it was easy.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Tomorrow was the last day to cancel and get my fee back, so I cancelled today. Insane that they haven't let us know what they will be doing, but not surprising since we are talking about the bottom of the barrel airline here with AA. I don't fly AA anymore, but the card was useful because I fly Alaska primarily and the authorized users. Downgraded to the no fee card and they told me, however, I can reverse the decision between now and May 29th and switch back to the Exec card, which was good to hear. We'll see - i might just switch to Alaska Lounge membership instead.
;;
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Tomorrow was the last day to cancel and get my fee back, so I cancelled today. Insane that they haven't let us know what they will be doing, but not surprising since we are talking about the bottom of the barrel airline here with AA. I don't fly AA anymore, but the card was useful because I fly Alaska primarily and the authorized users. Downgraded to the no fee card and they told me, however, I can reverse the decision between now and May 29th and switch back to the Exec card, which was good to hear. We'll see - i might just switch to Alaska Lounge membership instead.
;;
April 9th was my drop dead date as well. Ultimately, after discussing with Citi, I cancelled. Disappointing actually, we highly value AC membership as my wife travels a great deal for work, but that work travel may not return even once restrictions are lifted. Asked about downgrading with the idea that once things picked back up, we could just product change back to this card. However, the rep said we'd need to stay in the downgraded card for at least 365 days before product changing back to the Executive card. Obviously, I'm certainly hoping at least some personal travel returns much sooner than that so if needed will just have my wife obtain the card (she is eligible for a bonus on the card at this point). Main reason I was trying to avoid that is we are both trying to stay below 5/24 and we have AA miles coming out our ears and don't really need/want more.

I actually think this is pretty shortsighted by both AA and Citi. I realize they are very reticent to waive annual fees on these high end cards, but this is truly an unprecedented situation. This card is effectively a membership to a club that is closed, basically indefinitely. I would think they would want to keep Admirals Club members "in the fold" so to speak. The reality is that we've been using ACs for many, many years (even prior to obtaining this card), but at this point we may now find we can live without it going forward so we may or may not come back. However, if they allowed some type of "suspend in place" or something and basically just reset the annual fee to be due when normalcy resumes and clubs are re-opened, we would have kept the card.

Regards

P.S. I should note that I was offered the spend $3000 per month for X months (forgot what X was) and receive a $100 statement credit, which I declined. This is a horrible card to spend on, we simply use it as an AC membership.
GTITAN, fotoflyer88 and James91 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by scubadu
April 9th was my drop dead date as well. Ultimately, after discussing with Citi, I cancelled. Disappointing actually, we highly value AC membership as my wife travels a great deal for work, but that work travel may not return even once restrictions are lifted. Asked about downgrading with the idea that once things picked back up, we could just product change back to this card. However, the rep said we'd need to stay in the downgraded card for at least 365 days before product changing back to the Executive card. Obviously, I'm certainly hoping at least some personal travel returns much sooner than that so if needed will just have my wife obtain the card (she is eligible for a bonus on the card at this point). Main reason I was trying to avoid that is we are both trying to stay below 5/24 and we have AA miles coming out our ears and don't really need/want more.

I actually think this is pretty shortsighted by both AA and Citi. I realize they are very reticent to waive annual fees on these high end cards, but this is truly an unprecedented situation. This card is effectively a membership to a club that is closed, basically indefinitely. I would think they would want to keep Admirals Club members "in the fold" so to speak. The reality is that we've been using ACs for many, many years (even prior to obtaining this card), but at this point we may now find we can live without it going forward so we may or may not come back. However, if they allowed some type of "suspend in place" or something and basically just reset the annual fee to be due when normalcy resumes and clubs are re-opened, we would have kept the card.

Regards

P.S. I should note that I was offered the spend $3000 per month for X months (forgot what X was) and receive a $100 statement credit, which I declined. This is a horrible card to spend on, we simply use it as an AC membership.
Thanks for update Sir, disappointing to hear on this, and disappointing on downgrade and upgrade wait period. Seems to be some cognitive dissonance from Citi on its commitment to the higher end CC market.

Safe Travels
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
....rep said we'd need to stay in the downgraded card for at least 365 days before product changing back to the Executive card. ...
I wonder if this is accurate. I do not recall discussion, one way or the other, but there does not seem to be an obvious reason for Citi to have this policy, unless the downgrade is treated as a new account.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Now that AA has extended club memberships to EXCLUDE Citi card memberships, I am going to either cancel/downgrade my card. Citi needs to announce something or at least announce that they are working on a solution based upon how long clubs are closed. The silence and lack of communication is the issue here.

Does anyone know if all Citi Executive cards ($450 fee) can be downgraded to a no-fee card or will it be like Amex, which told me that certain cards are only eligible to be downgraded to certain other cards?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:45 pm

Yes you can downgrade to a no fee card and get your exec fee refunded. I am not sure why we have so many threads on this subject when there is a clear path. Downgrade or cancel your card within 37 days of your fee posting. They will get the message. And yes you can upgrade

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedNow that AA has extended club memberships to EXCLUDE Citi card memberships, I am going to either cancel/downgrade my card. Citi needs to announce something or at least announce that they are working on a solution based upon how long clubs are closed. The silence and lack of communication is the issue here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedDoes anyone know if all Citi Executive cards ($450 fee) can be downgraded to a no-fee card or will it be like Amex, which told me that certain cards are only eligible to be downgraded to certain other cards?https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

Last edited by mia; Apr 14, 2020 at 5:55 pm
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
....all Citi Executive cards ($450 fee) can be downgraded...
If the card has been open less than 12 months I do not believe you can downgrade. If you are unable to downgrade to the card you prefer, just cancel.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would assume that you can simply cancel the card and then reapply when things open back up. That's my plan. Get a refund on my annual fee now, which I have 5 left days to do, and then start the meter running again in a few months. I would expect no signup bonuses in this situation, but it makes no sense that they would block me from getting the card at all.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I would presume that when you get your bill with the $450 tacked on, you could call and cancel your card (or downgrade it) and just not pay the $450?

Or would that put Citi accounting into a fiscal seizure

It is going to take a while for clubs to reopen (many months in my opinion), so the only reason left for owing this card (insurance gone, benefits degraded or eliminated) is the club, which now is gone. I agree with the previous poster that just downgrade or cancel and then reapply when things finally open up.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I called and product changed to the MilesUp card. The $450 is still sitting there, but the agent said it would be credited, so I’m just monitoring to ensure it’s offset before the statement is due
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:20 pm

You will be credited $450 if you downgraded within 37 days of fee post.. Or call and waste your time like so many other stubborn people on this thread. .

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I called and product changed to the MilesUp card. The $450 is still sitting there, but the agent said it would be credited, so I’m just monitoring to ensure it’s offset before the statement is due

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.