Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel/change travel booked through thankyou.com or concierge, COVID-19.

Cancel/change travel booked through thankyou.com or concierge, COVID-19.

Old Mar 19, 20, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Unhappy Cancel/change travel booked through thankyou.com or concierge, COVID-19.

Like many others, I booked several 4th night free bookings last summer prior to the benefit being limited to 2x per year. (Citi Prestige)

I have two hotel reservations in South Africa in a couple weeks (US citizens banned from entry) and was wondering if anyone has had experiencing cancelling hotel bookings due to the corona virus.

- Do they allow rescheduling with 4th night free benefit (these properties are not available on thankyou booking website)?
- Do they allow full cancellation?
- Were you SOL? Already charged $4,000 for these hotel stays and would be depressing if I could not get refund.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Old Mar 22, 20, 5:32 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. I booked two hotels in Japan for middle of April using the 4th night free benefit last year. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic I am going to have to cancel and have the same question if I can rebook using those lost 4th night free for a later date this year. Both of my hotels are fully refundable up until 3 days before arrival so I know I will get my money back. What I want is to be able to use those "lost" 4th night free when I booked in 2019 and apply them for hotel stays later this year without it using up my current 2020 4th night free benefit. Its one of the reasons I applied for the card last year and paid my hefty annual fee. Let me know if you hear anything. I will post on my experience too as I approach my travel dates. I haven't canceled yet just in case something miraculous occurs and this all clears up (very unlikely).
Old Mar 22, 20, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
i am in the same boat too with a trip to Thailand with 2 different 4 night stays. Hoping they are flexible here - my flights have already been cancelled by the airline so I am SOL on this one
Old Mar 22, 20, 8:37 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
These posts from the primary thread indicate that you may be able to change the dates of a stay, but not the property:

Originally Posted by milesforhire View Post
I was told adjusting the reservation for price drop is okay but adjusting the a different hotel and/or dates will not be eligible for 4NF.
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
You can use the concierge to change previously made bookings. I made about 20 before the switchover, as long as the confirmation number remains the same, I will still get the 4th night free (as well as elite credits). I just changed the dates successfully for one, but I couldn't use an updated rate now that it dropped $50 (that would involve cancel and rebooking and therefor not eligible for fourth night free).

They usually request the folio from the hotel (or from me), that will show the middle night if they are looking for it. Question is whether they will look for it.

If I get the 4th night free, it's on a reservation at $359 per night. If I cancel it and rebook (to take advantage of the lower rate), I will pay four nights at $311 (plus tax). So it's an extra cost of $58 per night for four nights if it isn't honored (call it $232, ignoring tax), vs. saving ($358-3x$57=$187 ignoring tax).
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BLTraveler View Post
Like many others, I booked several 4th night free bookings last summer prior to the benefit being limited to 2x per year. (Citi Prestige)

I have two hotel reservations in South Africa in a couple weeks (US citizens banned from entry) and was wondering if anyone has had experiencing cancelling hotel bookings due to the corona virus.

- Do they allow rescheduling with 4th night free benefit (these properties are not available on thankyou booking website)?
- Do they allow full cancellation?
- Were you SOL? Already charged $4,000 for these hotel stays and would be depressing if I could not get refund.

Any insight would be appreciated!
I was able to get in touch with the city prestige concierge via email. They said as long as the hotel would modify the existing reservation, all is good. Rebooking and cancelling would not work, only modification.
Old Mar 24, 20, 12:07 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
The Citi prestige concierge can absolutely move your dates out - as far as the booking calendar allows. You just can't change hotels and you may or may not be able to change rate plans.
Old Mar 24, 20, 12:09 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Any way to cancel TYP Booked Flights Online? (COVID-19)

Chase has made a available a web form to get points reinstated from a cancelled booking. Is Citi making everyone call and wait on hold? I can't find an online option...
Old Mar 25, 20, 2:30 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Airline ticket booked using TYP thru Citi travel (cxLoyalty) - Cancellation

Hello,
Booked an award ticket 2 months back using the TYP website as got decent fares and could redeem @1.25. Subsequently downgraded card from Premier to Rewards+.
What will happen if the airline cancels the flight (currently scheduled for end April)?
Will they credit the points back to my rewards account?
Thx, Abhi
jordanstravels4 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
How to cancel 4th night booking made by connexions

I have 2 prepaid but fully refundable bookings. Confirm email is from connexions and says to call them to cancel.

1) no way to cancel on the hotels website
2) phone for connexions is of course overloaded with no offer for call back
3) no phone or email for canceling is available (unless I reply to booking email?)
4) connexions email says I can see the itinerary on the website but I can't find it (hoped there was a cancel option there)

So has anyone been able to find a way to reach them to cancel?
edit: Just tried to cancel by replying to confirm email and it won't allow reply!
Old Apr 13, 20, 2:06 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Bump.

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
Hello,
Booked an award ticket 2 months back using the TYP website as got decent fares and could redeem @1.25. Subsequently downgraded card from Premier to Rewards+.
What will happen if the airline cancels the flight (currently scheduled for end April)? Will connections (Cx Loyalty) credit the points back to my rewards account ? Problem is this will reduce the points value by 25% as I now have a Reward+ card and not the Premier. Any way to avoid this forced devaluation?

Thx, Abhi
Old Apr 22, 20, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MilesTalk View Post
Chase has made a available a web form to get points reinstated from a cancelled booking. Is Citi making everyone call and wait on hold? I can't find an online option...
Topping this. Does anyone have experience here? I have looked into cancelling a flight that was cancelled too and want to ensure I can get cash and points back - not a credit with the airline (aa in this case). Does anyone know here?
Old Apr 23, 20, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by uscjeff View Post
Topping this. Does anyone have experience here? I have looked into cancelling a flight that was cancelled too and want to ensure I can get cash and points back - not a credit with the airline (aa in this case). Does anyone know here?
I would suggest calling them and not cancelling it online. I cancelled my online and they issued a travel credit (on UA). Now I'm on the phone and they're telling me that I had an option to choose a travel credit or refund when I cancelled it online. I don't believe this, but unfortunately I didn't capture the screens. UPDATE - While being politely insistent, they called United and got them to agree to change it to a refund. So it took an extra hour on the phone but eventually they did the right thing. I would still strongly suggest calling in and insisting that you will only accept a refund and not a trip credit.

Last edited by acehisf; Apr 23, 20 at 5:23 pm
Old Apr 29, 20, 11:03 pm

Programs: IHG
Airline Canceled Flight

In the event I booked a flight through South AfricanA with my Citi Thank You points through the Thank You terminal and South African Airways indeed does go Bankrupt & Cancels my flight will I automatically get the ThankYou points redeposited into my account?
Old Apr 29, 20, 11:08 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
Hello,
What will happen if the airline cancels the flight (currently scheduled for end April)?
Will they credit the points back to my rewards account?
Thx, Abhi
I am in the exact same situation for a flight on South African Airways
Old Apr 30, 20, 7:34 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I would not expect an automatic refund. The travel agency paid the airline with money, and they will not issue a refund to you until they are reimbursed. I would contact Connexions to ask what protection you have in the event of an airline insolvency.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: