Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can TYP be transferred to airline within 60 day period after closing Prestige?

Old Feb 24, 20, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat

I understand that TYP expire 60 days after closure and may be used during that 60-day period. If closing a Citi Prestige account, can one still transfer TYP to airline FF plans during that 60-day period, or does Citi limit point redemption to gift cards? I haven't found a clear answer to this specific detail. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I understand that TYP expire 60 days after closure and may be used during that 60-day period. If closing a Citi Prestige account, can one still transfer TYP to airline FF plans during that 60-day period, or does Citi limit point redemption to gift cards? I haven't found a clear answer to this specific detail. Thanks in advance!
Crazy coincidence, I'm having the same exact issue and came on FT to post this very question. I think in your case, if you currently only have the Prestige, the 60 day period is irrelevant. If you don't hold a Prestige or Premier, you can't transfer your points to airlines, period (aside from Jetblue i think). So my understanding is that once you close your Prestige, you no longer hold a card that will allow transfers to airlines and you'll have to redeem your points for gift cards.

My scenario is slightly different and would appreciate any guidance from the community...I have the Prestige card (opened 2015) and need to close it on or before Feb 27 to receive the AF refund. I applied for the Premier about 10 days ago, received it in the mail today, and activated it. I tried to combine the separate prestige and premier thankyou accounts into one online but wasn't able to, so I called into the ThankYou points call center. The rep combined them into one thankyou account, but said that once I close the Prestige, even though I have the Premier, i wouldn't be able to transfer those points earned with the Prestige into an airline account. That didn't sound right to me so i HUCA and a second rep said the same thing. I asked to speak to a supervisor, who then confirmed that what these two reps said isn't correct. He said that once I close the Prestige, my now-combined thankyou account will still retain the "Premier" level since the Premier card is still open. The points earned with the Prestige will indeed expire in 60 days, but i'll still be able to transfer them to an airline using my Premier card. Can anyone confirm this? Hope this helps someone!
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by darkice81 View Post
Crazy coincidence, I'm having the same exact issue and came on FT to post this very question. I think in your case, if you currently only have the Prestige, the 60 day period is irrelevant. If you don't hold a Prestige or Premier, you can't transfer your points to airlines, period (aside from Jetblue i think). So my understanding is that once you close your Prestige, you no longer hold a card that will allow transfers to airlines and you'll have to redeem your points for gift cards.
Thanks for your response.

I actually also have a Citi Premier card linked to a separate Thank You Points account (which I intentionally kept separate to avoid commingling points in case I decided to close one account). If I absolutely have to, I can combine the two Thank You Point accounts (or transfer the Prestige TYP to the Premier TYP account). I spoke to a CSR regarding using the TYP with soonest expiration date, and he told me that waiting 24 hours after Prestige account closure, the Prestige TYP would be labeled as expiring and would be used first. In retrospect, I should have inquired whether they could still be transferred after Prestige account closure. He addressed only the question about "using" the TYP and not specifically about transfer to FF plan(s).
Old Feb 25, 20, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Thanks for your response.

I actually also have a Citi Premier card linked to a separate Thank You Points account (which I intentionally kept separate to avoid commingling points in case I decided to close one account). If I absolutely have to, I can combine the two Thank You Point accounts (or transfer the Prestige TYP to the Premier TYP account). I spoke to a CSR regarding using the TYP with soonest expiration date, and he told me that waiting 24 hours after Prestige account closure, the Prestige TYP would be labeled as expiring and would be used first. In retrospect, I should have inquired whether they could still be transferred after Prestige account closure. He addressed only the question about "using" the TYP and not specifically about transfer to FF plan(s).
You indeed need to combine your TYP accounts to retain the ability to transfer your expiring Prestige points to airlines using your Premier. If you leave them separate, the Prestige points/account won't be eligible to transfer to airlines.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: