Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Downgrading my Citi Prestige and need a World Elite Mastercard for Lyft?

Old Feb 9, 20, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I am planning to downgrade my Citi Prestige in May, but one benefit that I'll miss is getting $10 from Lyft for every 5 rides. This is a benefit that all World Elite Mastercards can earn.

I know I could downgrade to the Premier for $95, but my question is, has anyone successfully verified that either the Citi Double Cash and Citi Rewards Plus card are true World Elite (and not regular World) Mastercards that work with the Lyft benefit?

My plan is to transfer my Thank You points to Singapore Airlines before I downgrade. Personally, the Rewards Plus card seems like a better downgrade option, but I would go with the Double Cash if it meant I could keep the Lyft benefit.

https://www.lyft.com/world-elite-mastercard

Last edited by diesteldorf; Feb 9, 20 at 1:42 pm
Old Feb 9, 20, 6:52 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham
My Double Cash is World Elite, but Rewards+ is just World. Never tried with Lyft, though. I suggest downgrading to Premier, it will allow you to keep your points and transfer them in a future, when needed. It will also give you 3x on Lyft rides. Premier is World Elite.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yugi View Post
My Double Cash is World Elite, but Rewards+ is just World. Never tried with Lyft, though. I suggest downgrading to Premier, it will allow you to keep your points and transfer them in a future, when needed. It will also give you 3x on Lyft rides. Premier is World Elite.
Thanks for your response. I'm glad to know the Double Cash is World Elite, since that's a card that has no annual free. However, I was contemplating the Premier, partly so that I wouldn't have a sense of urgency to transfer my points to an airline right away and lose flexibility.

I was running the numbers last night and, most of my Lyft rides with tip are between $10-12. 5 rides per month would be around $60. $60 x 12=$720. If I put $720 on the Citi Double Cash, I earn 2% of $720=$14.40. If I put that same $720 on the Premier, assuming each point is worth 1.7 cents. 1.7 x 3 x $720=$36.72 in value.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/

Now, I realize Thank You Points may not always be worth that much, but it would potentially help reduce the annual fee by $20. Assuming, I earned the $10 Lyft incentive every month, $120 total per year, it would cover the annual fee completely, and it may end up being worth it to pay a little more to keep the Premier just to keep the flexibility of my Thank You points.
Old Feb 11, 20, 8:31 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham
Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
Thanks for your response. I'm glad to know the Double Cash is World Elite, since that's a card that has no annual free. However, I was contemplating the Premier, partly so that I wouldn't have a sense of urgency to transfer my points to an airline right away and lose flexibility.

I was running the numbers last night and, most of my Lyft rides with tip are between $10-12. 5 rides per month would be around $60. $60 x 12=$720. If I put $720 on the Citi Double Cash, I earn 2% of $720=$14.40. If I put that same $720 on the Premier, assuming each point is worth 1.7 cents. 1.7 x 3 x $720=$36.72 in value.

Now, I realize Thank You Points may not always be worth that much, but it would potentially help reduce the annual fee by $20. Assuming, I earned the $10 Lyft incentive every month, $120 total per year, it would cover the annual fee completely, and it may end up being worth it to pay a little more to keep the Premier just to keep the flexibility of my Thank You points.
Double Cash cashback can also be converted to TYP at 1:1 ratio. And you should also get Rewards+, since it will give you up to 10k points back per year. 10k points is $170, according to valuations, but I was getting much more than that using TK (3cpp+).
Old Mar 7, 20, 3:25 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
TYP expire 60 days after card closure

Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post

Unless I grossly misunderstood T&C, TYP from your Prestige account expire 60 days after account closure. Opening Premier card does not keep your points valid. This is different from AMEX MR.
Old Mar 7, 20, 3:57 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Unless I grossly misunderstood T&C, TYP from your Prestige account expire 60 days after account closure. Opening Premier card does not keep your points valid. This is different from AMEX MR.
If you close a card the ThankYou points will expire unless redeemed. No exceptions. However, if you downgrade to another card that earns TYP they will be preserved. Downgrading to DoubleCash "probably" does not preserve points because it does not earn TYP. It earns cash which can be converted to TYP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: