Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Say goodbye to Virtual Account Numbers at Citi

Say goodbye to Virtual Account Numbers at Citi

Old Jan 26, 20, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH & HY
Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
Good donít use my options. Iím not worried about a card number being stolen Iím worried about services that make it hard to cancel.
I hate those too, but I also like being able to limit fraud exposure online.
Old Apr 7, 20, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Angry Have you said goodbye to Virtual Account Numbers yet?

Every new card that is issued comes without access to virtual account numbers. The days of using Virtual Account Numbers appear to be over. I had twelve cards with Citi and starting last year they changed the account number with a new card at each renewal. The new account numbers do not begin with 5466 and you cannot use them with VAN. Is there any hope of bringing it back? Are there any other banks left that still offer VAN? What to do now? For now I will dedicate one account number for internet shopping so I can actively monitor it and put a small notification dollar amount on it. I will not memorize the number as I have memorized all of the others. I will choose a bank that backs the consumer and is not a hassle like some are. I will close all of my duplicate AA cards down to one gold and one platinum. What are you doing?
Old Apr 7, 20, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Honestly, I think a large part of the discontinuation is the fact the app (both desktop and web) are written in Flash, support for which is being discontinued at the end of this year. I'm guessing they were happy to continue using the existing infrastructure but not to rewrite it.
Old Apr 8, 20, 1:50 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I just generated 1 VAN's for the Prestige and Double Cash so it seems to be working. The VAN numbers started differently though, one with 5466 and other with 5403 (if this relevant or important to the topic, i don't know what's the deal they were talking about of 5466)

I have tried previously over the course of 2019 to generate them and always would get an error with the flash app/website. Right now it worked for me using Safari/Web Launch. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 8, 20, 2:05 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
My Double Cash is brand new, i have yet not activated it. It was a product change from a card without a VAN so i believe that as of today there is no problem on getting a VAN for a new acct ? . Anyways i generated both these for the first time today.
Old Jun 20, 20, 11:32 am

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler View Post
Citibank is officially phasing out the Virtual Account Numbers. New card numbers will not have the ability to enroll and all will lose the feature in the near future.
Not 100% correct
some cards Citi card products have had it retired: all the AA branded products. I still have access to use it for creating new Virtual Account Numbers on the Cit/AT&T Universal Card, which is a free citi card.
I have the desktop version of Citi Virtual Account numbers, and it gives me an error if I try and log in with the citi user profile that includes any AA cards.
I have a separate (old) citi user ID just for that AT&T Universal citi card, and when I log into the VAN app with that userid, it works like a charm

I spent a long time with a human talking from tech support last month @ citi and they explained it was NOT going away, except for certain account types. Which is a mystery why they'd do that.
Old Jun 20, 20, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler View Post
Citibank is officially phasing out the Virtual Account Numbers. New card numbers will not have the ability to enroll and all will lose the feature in the near future.
Not 100% correct
some cards Citi card products have had it retired: all the AA branded products (at the very least). I still have access to use it for creating new Virtual Account Numbers on the Cit/AT&T Universal Card, which is a free citi card.
I have the desktop version of Citi Virtual Account numbers, and it has for 90 days or so been giving me an error ("bad address profile", or something like that) if I log in with the citi user profile that includes any AA cards.

BUT

I have a separate (old) citi user ID just for that AT&T Universal citi card, and when I log into the VAN app with that userid, it works like a charm. Virtual Account Numbers are definitely still listed as an account feature, and if they were retiring them for everyone, I would think they'd 1) remove the feature from the list of features and 2) make it stop for everyone, not just certain account types.

I spent a long time with a human talking from tech support last month @ citi and they explained it was NOT going away, except for certain account types. Which is a mystery why they'd do that.
Old Jun 23, 20, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
Not 100% correct
some cards Citi card products have had it retired: all the AA branded products (at the very least). I still have access to use it for creating new Virtual Account Numbers on the Cit/AT&T Universal Card, which is a free citi card.
I have the desktop version of Citi Virtual Account numbers, and it has for 90 days or so been giving me an error ("bad address profile", or something like that) if I log in with the citi user profile that includes any AA cards.

BUT

I have a separate (old) citi user ID just for that AT&T Universal citi card, and when I log into the VAN app with that userid, it works like a charm. Virtual Account Numbers are definitely still listed as an account feature, and if they were retiring them for everyone, I would think they'd 1) remove the feature from the list of features and 2) make it stop for everyone, not just certain account types.

I see it is available on my chairman but none of my AA, they changed the BIN and said bye to my virtual numbers. I am going to change one of my three gold cards to something else that has virtual numbers. that is if I can find out for sure one that will have the feature if I order it.
Old Jun 28, 20, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
I'd say it's extremely likely it will go away for everyone by the end of the year.

As was stated above, Adobe is stopping all updates for Flash at the end of the year (https://www.adobe.com/products/flash...d-of-life.html), and the current VAN generators (both web and desktop) are based on Flash. So either Citi will need to re-write them, or kill it off. Given they seem to be stripping it from some cards already, it seems unlikely that they'll go with the re-write option...
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
I'd say it's extremely likely it will go away for everyone by the end of the year.

As was stated above, Adobe is stopping all updates for Flash at the end of the year (https://www.adobe.com/products/flash...d-of-life.html), and the current VAN generators (both web and desktop) are based on Flash. So either Citi will need to re-write them, or kill it off. Given they seem to be stripping it from some cards already, it seems unlikely that they'll go with the re-write option...
I use the desktop app, don't know if that uses flash or not since it's not in a browser at all.
They def use flash for the browser-based version. If you want to use it, better download the desktop version, or it won't run at all in Chrome when they stop supporting flash in December this year.
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Will it work with New Edge, Brave, Firefox, etc..?
Old Jun 30, 20, 8:01 pm

This is annoying. Bank of America killed there program too. It is a great way to protect your card number during online transactions
Old Jul 1, 20, 7:42 am

I use the desktop app, don't know if that uses flash or not since it's not in a browser at all.
They def use flash for the browser-based version. If you want to use it, better download the desktop version, or it won't run at all in Chrome when they stop supporting flash in December this year.
The desktop version is based on Flash as well, but it does come with its own Flash player and doesn't rely on the browser.

I do find the desktop version difficult to use though, the UI is a lot less responsive (clicks don't register etc).
Old Jul 2, 20, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb View Post
The desktop version is based on Flash as well, but it does come with its own Flash player and doesn't rely on the browser.

I do find the desktop version difficult to use though, the UI is a lot less responsive (clicks don't register etc).
This is how I imagine it feels to be an employee at CITI....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: