Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

LOL - OK to sign up for second Citi bank account SUB in a shutdown world?

Old Jan 13, 20, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards

I received in my inbox today a Citibank sign up bonus offer on one of my two AA cards (I have a Mileup and a Platinum card and received SUB for both). I already received a targeted Citibank SUB for one of the cards - today I received a targeted Citibank SUB offer for the other. After scrubbing the terms, it looks like multiple bank signup bonuses within 365 or expressively permitted. I would presumably have to open up a second Citibank account to get the SUB...

The question is - is it wise to sign up for this offer in todayís environment?
Old Jan 13, 20, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
[QUOTE=Adelphos;31946725
The question is - is it wise to sign up for this offer in todayís environment?[/QUOTE]

Should be some time before it expires, so you can wait or go for it.
Old Jan 13, 20, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
I think it depends on your existing SUB behavior and whether or not your account has or will be locked/terminated in the future. If youíve been good and your account is fine, I donít see why earning more AA miles is necessarily a bad thing.
Old Jan 13, 20, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by DVDBob View Post
I think it depends on your existing SUB behavior and whether or not your account has or will be locked/terminated in the future. If youíve been good and your account is fine, I donít see why earning more AA miles is necessarily a bad thing.
I have not done the ďmailer churningĒ (which I define as signing up for multiple Citi AA Platinum cards), but you can earn 200,000+ AA miles through normal sign up activity within a year without any of that - I have been watching to see if any those kinds of users have been locked, and no dice so far. But they may be in the future, so I am hesitant
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not done the “mailer churning” (which I define as signing up for multiple Citi AA Platinum cards), but you can earn 200,000+ AA miles through normal sign up activity within a year without any of that - I have been watching to see if any those kinds of users have been locked, and no dice so far. But they may be in the future, so I am hesitant
Within one year, yes, but not year after year, right?

Within one year requires getting all the different cards, but then the 48 month clock start on all the Citi cards, and who knows what clock starts on all the Barclay cards. So it's likely you can do anywhere close to that the following year, right?

And I don't think there are than many of those types of users, because most users are already in the middle of a 48-month clock on most of those cards. I know I'm there on Gold, Platinum, and business cards, and the last time I churned any of those personal AA Citi cards was during the World -> World Elite era. Meanwhile, I've had a Barclays Aviator card since the merger, though I'm likely to cancel it next week, and I just opened my first Barclay Aviator Biz (my one AA signup recently), so I don't think I qualify soon for either of those. (If it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to stay below 5/24 for Chase, I guess I could get an AA Executive card, since I've never yet had one, plus a MileUp card, since I've never yet had one, but I think that's about it for the near term.)

So while someone who's either stayed away for 4+ years or never chased AA miles before this might be able to do 200,000 in one year, I don't know how many of those people there are, and thus while I don't think that's what AA would concerned about, I don't know if the lack of datapoints proves anything one way or another about that situation.
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Within one year, yes, but not year after year, right?

Within one year requires getting all the different cards, but then the 48 month clock start on all the Citi cards, and who knows what clock starts on all the Barclay cards. So it's likely you can do anywhere close to that the following year, right?

And I don't think there are than many of those types of users, because most users are already in the middle of a 48-month clock on most of those cards. I know I'm there on Gold, Platinum, and business cards, and the last time I churned any of those personal AA Citi cards was during the World -> World Elite era. Meanwhile, I've had a Barclays Aviator card since the merger, though I'm likely to cancel it next week, and I just opened my first Barclay Aviator Biz (my one AA signup recently), so I don't think I qualify soon for either of those. (If it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to stay below 5/24 for Chase, I guess I could get an AA Executive card, since I've never yet had one, plus a MileUp card, since I've never yet had one, but I think that's about it for the near term.)

So while someone who's either stayed away for 4+ years or never chased AA miles before this might be able to do 200,000 in one year, I don't know how many of those people there are, and thus while I don't think that's what AA would concerned about, I don't know if the lack of datapoints proves anything one way or another about that situation.
Within one year just requires three cards (Mileup, one of Executive or Platinum, and Barclays) plus two bank account bonuses. If you are starting fresh, or even only have one card, you can do that. Iíve been scanning the threads to see if such customers have been locked, but havenít seen such data points so far. I would guess the vast majority of Citi/AA customers only have one card, so they would also be able to get these SUB
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Within one year just requires three cards (Mileup, one of Executive or Platinum, and Barclays) plus two bank account bonuses. If you are starting fresh, or even only have one card, you can do that. Iíve been scanning the threads to see if such customers have been locked, but havenít seen such data points so far. I would guess the vast majority of Citi/AA customers only have one card, so they would also be able to get these SUB
Wouldn't it be funny if all of the shutdowns have the effect of causing many of the AA customers with only one card to pursue some additional cards to mazimize their sign up bonuses within permissible limits?
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:00 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have had no Citi card SUBs credited to my AA account at any point in the last 5-10 years at least..

I guess I could apply now for as many Citi AA cards as Citi allows me. But I really donít see the point of it since I have restricted opportunities to use my AA miles for any reasonable return and donít feel like testing the AA limits since I still want to milk AA LT Platinum status for a long time ahead. Also given how other card issuers have become fussier and given the alternatives from Citi and other banks, I see even less reason to sign up for a bunch of Citi AA cards for myself.

For old people with few to no miles in the AA account and limited future travel plans, milking the Citi AA SUBs may work out better than it does for me.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 14, 20 at 2:06 pm
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I have had no Citi card SUBs credited to my AA account at any point in the last 5-10 years at least..

I guess I could apply now for as many Citi AA cards as Citi allows me. But I really don’t see the point of it since I have restricted opportunities to use my AA miles for any reasonable return and don’t feel like testing the AA limits since I still want to milk AA LT Platinum status for a long time ahead. Also given how other card issuers have become fussier and given the alternatives from Citi and other banks, I see even less reason to sign up for a bunch of Citi AA cards for myself.

For old people with few to no miles in the AA account and limited future travel plans, milking the Citi AA SUBs may work out better than it does for me.
For those that don't have AA lifetime status, you could simply fly with another airline. My main focus is on Delta, but I'll take a couple of paid AA flights a year based on schedule, price and product. Maybe my focus in the future will be on AA. In the meantime it is nice to have (company approved) options to earn additional miles via sign up bonuses, credit card spend, banks, etc. I still see value in AA miles on Cathay Pacific, JAL, and economy web specials to Europe from October through April/May.
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:01 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My main focus is on Delta, but I'll take a couple of paid AA flights a year based on schedule, price and rpoduct. Maybe my focus in the future will be on AA. In the meantime it is nice to have (company approved) options to earn additional miles via sign up bonuses, credit card spend, banks, etc. I still see value in AA miles on Cathay Pacific, JAL, and economy web specials to Europe from October through April/May.
One way to stay under the radar of fidgety missile battery operators primed to expect enemies is to remain tiny (with the account balance) and have minimal additional mileage activity signature. This helps to not give AA additional opportunity to fire at and gain from firing at the AA account.

My regular paid AA flights can be credited to non-AA programs just fine for me. I haven’t completely written off using AA miles, but not all AA accounts are equal and some are worth a little more force protection than other AA accounts.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
One way to stay under the radar of fidgety missile battery operators primed to expect enemies is to remain tiny (with the account balance) and have minimal additional mileage activity signature. This helps to not give AA additional opportunity to fire at and gain from firing at the AA account.

My regular paid AA flights can be credited to non-AA programs just fine for me. I havenít completely written off using AA miles, but not all AA accounts are equal and some are worth a little more force protection than other AA accounts.
I don't disagree with this. This is why I try to get people to be extremely precise with the data points and such they post on the various other Citi threads
Old Jan 16, 20, 9:34 am

I don't disagree with this. This is why I try to get people to be extremely precise with the data points and such they post on the various other Citi threads
How many AA SUBs have you had the last 24 months? If it's less than 2 I would apply. I'm confident in writing that because i signed up my relative for two citi aa cards using mailers in 24 months and she didn't get locked down.
Old Jan 16, 20, 11:32 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I received in my inbox today a Citibank sign up bonus offer on one of my two AA cards (I have a Mileup and a Platinum card and received SUB for both). I already received a targeted Citibank SUB for one of the cards - today I received a targeted Citibank SUB offer for the other. After scrubbing the terms, it looks like multiple bank signup bonuses within 365 or expressively permitted. I would presumably have to open up a second Citibank account to get the SUB...

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Citi CC SUB right now with a 10 foot pole. We don't know if or when AA is done with this exercise or how their criteria may morph. But that's just me - if you're OK with the risk that's up to you. When you received those SUBs may be a factor. Just know that whatever language present, or not present, in the offer you received won't be a defense in AA's eyes (and you won't have any opportunity to make a defense in the first place, for that matter).

Originally Posted by changger1 View Post
How many AA SUBs have you had the last 24 months? If it's less than 2 I would apply. I'm confident in writing that because i signed up my relative for two citi aa cards using mailers in 24 months and she didn't get locked down.
There have been some locks and terminations for that and less, even though most cases had higher velocity. Has she used a definitive method to confirm not being locked (e.g., air, hotel, rental redemption)? Note that there is no reason to believe that AA is done with lockdowns and terminations.
Old Jan 16, 20, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Personally, I wouldn't touch a Citi CC SUB right now with a 10 foot pole...
This is a bank account SUB, not a credit card SUB
Old Jan 16, 20, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Note that there is no reason to believe that AA is done with lockdowns and terminations.
AA/Citi are sending out fresh bank account offers now - it seems unlikely they would send out targeted e-mails to credit card holders (most of whom signed up for cards recently) only to terminate their accounts

Search this Thread
Search Engine: