Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Points Sharing and then Transfer - which "pool"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Probably stupid question but:
Spouse will Share their TY points from Prestige to me (Premiere).
I will then Transfer those to Partner Airline to book fares (I have a chunk of points as well)

1) I am aware that the SHARED points will then have an expiration date to them (which is fine)
2) However, when Then transferring points to the Airline partner, does Citi transfer the expiring points first?

Basically I want to make sure that they transfer the SHARED points first and then take any excess from mine.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My experience is dated, but it worked exactly as you would expect, the Shared points were transferred first because they had an expiration date. However, this was some years back and there could have been software changes in the interim.
hurnik likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
So I have a question regarding "order of usage" of TYPs, which is basically this; is Citi smart enough to use expiring TYPs first, if an award or transfer would not consume your full balance of TYPs?

For example, I had a Citi Premier card, but just downgraded to Citi Rewards+ to protect the points and avoid the annual fee. However, my wife has a Citi Prestige card. At some point I'd like to just close my account (not a huge Citi fan). I understand that when I transfer my points to her account, they expire in 90 days. So, lets say I transferred those points to her account in order to then further transfer directly to an airline award. If said award ticket would not consume the entire amount of both the points I transferred in as well as the existing balance that my wife already had on the card, is Citi smart enough use the expiring points which I transferred in first or would it pull from the existing balance she already had on her own card, which were earned from the Prestige card directly?

Apologies if this is a confusing question and I realize it might be a corner case, but trying to "measure twice, cut once" given that a non-stoppable 90 day clock starts ticking once the transfer happens.

Regards
Old Mar 14, 2021, 2:25 pm

Yes, it will prioritize expiration dates. I recently received a transfer from my wife of 8K. Citi listed these points separately with the expiration date next to it. My other accounts did not have expiration dates. I transferred 15K to an airline and the 8K points were gone along with 7K from my Prestige account which has no expiration. If your wife has another card that has expiring points, in addition to her Prestige, the points get transferred out according to expiration date. I have a Rewards+ card too, so the bonus was that even though I didn't transfer out any my Reward+ points, I still received 10% points back from Citi!
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 247traveler
Yes, it will prioritize expiration dates. I recently received a transfer from my wife of 8K. Citi listed these points separately with the expiration date next to it. My other accounts did not have expiration dates. I transferred 15K to an airline and the 8K points were gone along with 7K from my Prestige account which has no expiration. If your wife has another card that has expiring points, in addition to her Prestige, the points get transferred out according to expiration date. I have a Rewards+ card too, so the bonus was that even though I didn't transfer out any my Reward+ points, I still received 10% points back from Citi!
Thank you, that is very helpful and seems to be almost exactly my situation.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.