Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Either AA doesn't care or AA thinks that using mailers addressed to others is a problem. If I understand correctly, household members would only get mailers for newly created accounts, so perhaps AA thinks the household members created the accounts in order to get mailers to the transferee
My stepsons received mailers for years at my address, I flew them once on USAIR and the mailers were coming to the new AA accounts that AA created for them after the USAIr merger.

As long as you didn't apply for a Citi AA card in the name of the person the MAILER was addressed to the mailers kept coming
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by richarddd
Either AA doesn't care or AA thinks that using mailers addressed to others is a problem. If I understand correctly, household members would only get mailers for newly created accounts, so perhaps AA thinks the household members created the accounts in order to get mailers to the transferee.
You do not understand correctly. Mailers went to (some?) people with AA accounts and no AA credit cards. My spouse and son both received them regularly on accounts they’d had for years, both with limited but non-zero earning activity. That’s one of at least four scenarios for where mailers came from: sent to legit household members with pre-existing accounts; sent to legit household members with new accounts established to generate mailers; sent to new, bogus accounts created for pets, imaginary twins, etc; or obtained mailer codes from other random people who got them through methods 1-3. We don’t have enough information in this thread to assess whether AA is acting on all or only some of those scenarios, or whether the screen is based on total number of bonuses, or some combination of factors.

My own account seems to be fine, but whether that’s because my mailers were addressed to legit accounts, or too few to trigger AA’s wrath, or too long ago, or just that they haven’t gotten to me yet, I know not. (I had two, one a bit over two years ago and one a bit under.) That’s why I, and probably others similarly situated, keep coming back to this thread, and why more information and less speculation and argumentation would be appreciated.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Like I’ve said before, there are maybe one or two people with normal sign up activity (public SUB, replying to mailers directed to them, no duplicate cards, bank account SUB) have reported to be impacted. You keep saying these people are also being shut down, or at risk of being shut down - there is no evidence of that
Unfortunately there is evidence of that. One of our players has done no shenanigans, but that account is locked: We're talking not a single Citi CC SUB in at least six years, and two from Barclays in the past six years. In this instance all I can think of is it's locked because of guilt by association with family/household members who did ride the train -- and an award booking for that "straight" account holder from an account that did ride the train.
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Unfortunately there is evidence of that. One of our players has done no shenanigans, but that account is locked: We're talking not a single Citi CC SUB in at least six years, and two from Barclays in the past six years. In this instance all I can think of is it's locked because of guilt by association with family/household members who did ride the train -- and an award booking for that "straight" account holder from an account that did ride the train.
Or there is some other issue.

Bear in mind that even if this particular Citi issue did not exist, AA's corporate security does routine audits and shuts down accounts for all manner of other schemes. Not to accuse anyone of having done something else, but ascribing a freeze / shutdown to this scheme when the account holder did not engage in it, suggests that AA may have additional facts.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:45 am

This is not the first time I hear something like this.

Originally Posted by Often1
Bear in mind that even if this particular Citi issue did not exist, AA's corporate security does routine audits and shuts down accounts for all manner of other schemes. Not to accuse anyone of having done something else, but ascribing a freeze / shutdown to this scheme when the account holder did not engage in it, suggests that AA may have additional facts.
You are sugar coating what AA does every possible way.
GUWonder and mhdena like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fttc
This is not the first time I hear something like this.
Same here.

Originally Posted by fttc
You are sugar coating what AA does every possible way.
Some people just enjoy speculation regardless how little s/he knows about the matter. It is FT, so we got to accept this type of behavior which seems rampant in every forum. lol.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:26 am

I ask this in all seriousness...is there one single post here on Flyteralk from someone who has been shut down and lost all their accumulated miles? A post from someone who was in the middle of their vacation and couldn't get home because AA cancelled their flight? And have they been willing and able to answer our questions about their experiences? Have they shared the text of the email/letter they received?

We've seen news reports. We've heard about Reddit people. We've seen countless posts here about "lots of people had this happen" and "AA is doing this and that." Personally, I believe all this is occurring and I am not one to say "Relax. AA will never take away any miles." I just wish we had a few more solid DPs.

Here's a post that is meant to be DPs ONLY. As you can see, there are very few posts. AA account restricted - Data Points only
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I ask this in all seriousness...is there one single post here on Flyteralk from someone who has been shut down and lost all their accumulated miles? A post from someone who was in the middle of their vacation and couldn't get home because AA cancelled their flight?
Pure speculation.

Generally speaking, not specifically related to Reddit or any other online forum/community, it's my sense that those on FT are probably a little more sophisticated in their understanding of risk management than gamers/churners/perk abusers than on other forums. It would make sense there would be less reporting of it there here?

PS - Happy - I know it's not a joking matter, but the part about "deleting all posts and going into hiding" just cracked me up!

Last edited by Visconti; Dec 29, 2019 at 10:45 am Reason: word correction...
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Here's a post that is meant to be DPs ONLY. As you can see, there are very few posts. AA account restricted - Data Points only
Maybe the post creator should have gotten the ball rolling with his/her own DP, rather than asking for DPs.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:44 am

Urgent Question:

I am leaving for a flight to Costa Rica tomorrow on Delta, but am returning on American Airlines a few days after that. It appears that my account has been shutdown, but my return flight appears to still be active and ticketed. I have not received an email about a shutdown, and no one has contacted me - but am unable to use my points.

Will my return flight still work? Or should I buy an alternate return flight ticket??
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mark Schwade
Urgent Question:

I am leaving for a flight to Costa Rica tomorrow on Delta, but am returning on American Airlines a few days after that. It appears that my account has been shutdown, but my return flight appears to still be active and ticketed. I have not received an email about a shutdown, and no one has contacted me - but am unable to use my points.

Will my return flight still work? Or should I buy an alternate return flight ticket??
What makes you think your account is shut down? Are you not able to log in at all?

Based on all being known, public or in private, your account is not shut down else you would have received an email though said email may land in your spam folder.

If you can still log in, see your miles then your account is locked.

At this junction whether people's flights being canceled or could still fly when their accounts are locked, seems to be Very Random. Nobody knows why some could fly their existing bookings while some could not. Hence it would be advisable that you have an alternative in case your booking disappears.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Pure speculation.

PS - Happy - I know it's not a joking matter, but the part about "deleting all posts and going into hiding" just cracked me up!
He did. Though he also mentioned, and actually was willing to share information in private.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Happy
What makes you think your account is shut down? Are you not able to log in at all?

Based on all being known, public or in private, your account is not shut down else you would have received an email though said email may land in your spam folder.

If you can still log in, see your miles then your account is locked.

At this junction whether people's flights being canceled or could still fly when their accounts are locked, seems to be Very Random. Nobody knows why some could fly their existing bookings while some could not. Hence it would be advisable that you have an alternative in case your booking disappears.

I know based on the fact that I am unable to spend any miles, attempted the new delhi hotel booking and it gave me the error. So I suspect I am in the process. Buying a flight back would cost me about 2 grand :/
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Again - one of the “players” in as in a household with those that “rode the train.” That is easily explainable. Your data point supports my general point - those with multiple mailer has have been targeted, not those with normal SUB activity
Global321 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
In terms of the overall direction of the thread, my main interest is to monitor data points involving those that

1) Did not sign up for multiple versions of the same card using mailers but
2) Have multiple sign up bonuses over the past couple of years for different cards or products

This is a theoretically big group of posters - many are claiming these posters are being shut down, but data points are few. These posters have a natural interest in a general AA shutdown thread. Perhaps there should be a separate thread for those that definitely have been shut down so they can share advice, tips, experiences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.