Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NTP9766
The use of emailers is definitely one thing every single lockdown has in common with each other.
The other one is posting on Reddit. Stick to FT, and avoid Reddit, and you should be fine.

I'm usually annoyed when FT opens another thread on a topic. For this though it's different. Hopefully someone who is interested in Reddit posts can start a separate FT thread for "AA chatter from Reddit". Then the rest of us who don't want to hear about Reddit chatter don't have to be bothered by it.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:42 am

I’m just trying to be helpful here, as I’m a Reddit user before an FT user. There’s ten times the amount of details on this issue alone on Reddit.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I’m just trying to be helpful here, as I’m a Reddit user before an FT user. There’s ten times the amount of details on this issue alone on Reddit.
Probably because there are 10x - 100x users on Reddit, and a marketplace for things involving this topic.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:46 am

You have a link ?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rover4618
You have a link ?
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...ember_06_2019/
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:57 am
Suspended

There’s ten times the amount of details on this issue alone on Reddit.
Exactly my point. This topic is highly questionable, and not all of us want to waste our time reading Reddit chatter on a highly questionable topic. Those who do want to read that ten times more posts about it are free to read Reddit; I have no problem with that. Let Reddit be Reddit, and FT be FT, and we are all free to choose to read one or the other, or both.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:03 am

I don't see one post about account shutdowns in this link just a very scattered and unorganized cluster of information and questions

Seems JohnNYC is getting dozens of pm's which may or may not be valid and very curious nobody has posted about their account being shutdown only hearsay.

Last edited by rover4618; Dec 7, 2019 at 11:13 am
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The use of emailers is definitely one thing every single lockdown has in common with each other.
But just emailers targeted to people other than the one who used it? Or even emailers used by the targeted person?

Originally Posted by xyzxyzxyz
The other one is posting on Reddit. Stick to FT, and avoid Reddit, and you should be fine.

I'm usually annoyed when FT opens another thread on a topic. For this though it's different. Hopefully someone who is interested in Reddit posts can start a separate FT thread for "AA chatter from Reddit". Then the rest of us who don't want to hear about Reddit chatter don't have to be bothered by it.
Originally Posted by xyzxyzxyz
Exactly my point. This topic is highly questionable, and not all of us want to waste our time reading Reddit chatter on a highly questionable topic. Those who do want to read that ten times more posts about it are free to read Reddit; I have no problem with that. Let Reddit be Reddit, and FT be FT, and we are all free to choose to read one or the other, or both.
If you don't want to look at any and all available data, feel free to scroll past any such posts. Data points from other sources - blogs, tweets, etc - are routinely cited on FT threads. There's no reason Reddit would be any different. Many of us appreciate the additional data points.

Frankly the data on Reddit or Twitter or what have you, is no more or less questionable than on FT. We have no independent verification of posts in either instance. Reddit has its pros and cons, as does FT...though for issues like this I've often found the greater openness on Reddit to provide more frank and robust discussions.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by rover4618
I don't see one post about account shutdowns in this link just a very scattered and unorganized cluster of information and questions.
Thats the way Reddit is, there are some AA discussions everyday, scroll down through the daily discussions if interested. I agree its not as organized as FT

Todays version
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...ember_07_2019/
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:51 am

I think the common goal is sharing of information, some of the info is credible and some is not, lets wait and see what happens.

The question is, are people still using eMailers these days.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
The question is, are people still using eMailers these days.
I’m done entirely. I did use an emailer for the first time last month, and now I regret it. Also just closed a card opened with an emailer before putting any spend on it.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:04 am

I’ll post my DP. I’m on my 3rd emailer and waiting for the SUB to post. All were generated by my previously set up dot gmail addresses with my own personal physical address on all of them. I had slightly different names on the 3 FFN accounts.

When I applied for the credit cards, I used my own personal info and my main FFN. So far, so good - holding my breath and laying low for the foreseeable future. I don’t fly much but just happened to make a last minute domestic redemption bc of an out of town funeral this week. No issues there. I will update this thread if anything happens. FWIW, I have been doing mailers for the past 1.5 years every ~ 34 days.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo
I’ll post my DP. I’m on my 3rd emailer and waiting for the SUB to post. All were generated by my previously set up dot gmail addresses with my own personal physical address on all of them. I had slightly different names on the 3 FFN accounts.

When I applied for the credit cards, I used my own personal info and my main FFN. So far, so good - holding my breath and laying low for the foreseeable future. I don’t fly much but just happened to make a last minute domestic redemption bc of an out of town funeral this week. No issues there. I will update this thread if anything happens. FWIW, I have been doing mailers for the past 1.5 years every ~ 34 days.

If you have a RETURN trip booked on AA I would be proactive and make a game plan for what happens if your reservation is cancelled, price other airlines, times, etc now as I'm sure that will be a lot easier at a laptop sitting at a desk than last minute in a airport on a cell phone/laptop.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:15 pm

Ok I'm one of those churners who feels the threat of closure is overblown. AFAIK none of our usual posters here has been shut down. However today my wife who is on spend with her Aadvantage credit card had the card denied at the local Crate and Barrel. It is not unusual for her to buy there. So I think maybe Citi is now shutting people down? But then she gets an automated phone call from the fraud department and after clicking she really was making that purchase all was well again. Since she had used this card for over a month it was really bizarre for Citi to randomly deny a $130 purchase.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by Robl
Ok I'm one of those churners who feels the threat of closure is overblown. AFAIK none of our usual posters here has been shut down. However today my wife who is on spend with her Aadvantage credit card had the card denied at the local Crate and Barrel. It is not unusual for her to buy there. So I think maybe Citi is now shutting people down? But then she gets an automated phone call from the fraud department and after clicking she really was making that purchase all was well again. Since she had used this card for over a month it was really bizarre for Citi to randomly deny a $130 purchase.
This is not bizarre Cit behavior. It has happened to me and many others, many times. Citi considers in-store purchases as more risky than online. This time of year, fraud is higher. Citi has a weird security protocol, but it is business as usual with Citi, and no causation with denying bonus posting to AA acct, nor AA security locking down FF accts due to excessive use of emailer codes, etc. The automated fraud prevention phone call tells you no human screened anything, and it's just security as usual.
Richard Berg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.