Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
How that ever took hold as being advisable is beyond me, these people who did this are insane to think this was tenable.
It would seem ill advised to keep opening new Aadvantage accounts, get bonuses for each, and then merge them together.

As it being insane to think getting multiple SUBs is tenable, well, it's been going on for a loooooong time...
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by wyogold
It would seem ill advised to keep opening new Aadvantage accounts, get bonuses for each, and then merge them together.

As it being insane to think getting multiple SUBs is tenable, well, it's been going on for a loooooong time...
Since this thread is read by many both members and non members and this issue appears moot it seems to me it would make allot of sense if we let this topic alone and not give certain other entities any ideas.

In matter of fact the Mods might be doing us all a service deleting the posts relating to this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Just used the two browser trick from two different devices and got approved for myself and DW.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wyogold

Nothing wrong with that— as long as no connivance is employed (like opening extra AAdv accounts (which is what was actually being discussed in the post you replied to) with fake names, etc., to enable same)— well within the rules, have done it myself for many years.

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 3, 2019 at 5:42 am
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:00 am

Nothing wrong with that— as long as no connivance is employed (like opening extra AAdv accounts (which is what was actually being discussed in the post you replied to) with fake names, etc., to enable same)— well within the rules, have done it myself for many years.
How were you opening multiple Citi AA cards WITHOUT having a mailer ( or more recently emailer) that was sent to a AADvantage member other than you who did not currently hold a Citi AA Card ?

AFAIK the mailers were not being sent to current cardholders. I can say for sure neither my wife, myself or my dad ( all with open AA cards) ever received mailers.

Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

Originally Posted by rover4618

In matter of fact the Mods might be doing us all a service deleting the posts relating to this.
To be clear, posters are free to edit their own posts. I will not be editing or removing anything unless it violates FT rules.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
To be clear, posters are free to edit their own posts. I will not be editing or removing anything unless it violates FT rules.
Especially since this thread can now serve as a warning to those who might not know the risks of creating fake AAdv accounts.

The members who have PMd me are all pleading “but everybody was doing it!” Right, try that line on AA Corp Security, see where it gets ya.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:23 am
Suspended

Especially since this thread can now serve as a warning to those who might not know the risks of creating fake AAdv accounts.

The members who have PMd me are all pleading “but everybody was doing it!” Right, try that line on AA Corp Security, see where it gets ya.
There have been warnings of impending doom on this thread for many years. Maybe eventually they will come true, but I'm not holding my breath until then, and I'm not quitting the game while it's still working.

This (mailer/emailer apps) has been working for over 2 years now with no problem. Applying for card after card after card has been going on for longer than I can count. And it's never been a problem. Not even when we were applying for 2 100K Exec cards with the two browser method, doing the min spnd, and canceling the card before the AF was due. Over and over again. If Citi was going to crack down on anything, that would have been the one, but we never heard a word from Citi about it. When they got tired of that, they just changed the T/C so it didn't work anymore. But no one got their hands slapped.

I'll believe the 'sky is falling' when there are multiple DPs of people on this thread getting concussions. But not until then...

And why would it be a problem? AA is happy, since they are selling the miles to Citi, which is the ONLY way they make a profit.

And Citi is happy, as they are meeting their marketing goals for new accounts. They do want to be sure of who is actually applying, as they don't want people to use false ids to open accounts, do the max spend, then disappear without paying it back. But if you are who you say you are on your apps, have decent credit, and pay off everything you spend, everyone should be happy. It's a little game we play with Citi/AA, which has been going on for many years. They know we are bending the rules, which they could easily prevent, as Chase and AMEX already have, but they choose not to do it.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by xyzxyzxyz
There have been warnings of impending doom on this thread for many years. Maybe eventually they will come true, but I'm not holding my breath until then, and I'm not quitting the game while it's still working.

This (mailer/emailer apps) has been working for over 2 years now with no problem. Applying for card after card after card has been going on for longer than I can count. And it's never been a problem. Not even when we were applying for 2 100K Exec cards with the two browser method, doing the min spnd, and canceling the card before the AF was due. Over and over again. If Citi was going to crack down on anything, that would have been the one, but we never heard a word from Citi about it. When they got tired of that, they just changed the T/C so it didn't work anymore. But no one got their hands slapped.

I'll believe the 'sky is falling' when there are multiple DPs of people on this thread getting concussions. But not until then...

And why would it be a problem? AA is happy, since they are selling the miles to Citi, which is the ONLY way they make a profit.

And Citi is happy, as they are meeting their marketing goals for new accounts. They do want to be sure of who is actually applying, as they don't want people to use false ids to open accounts, do the max spend, then disappear without paying it back. But if you are who you say you are on your apps, have decent credit, and pay off everything you spend, everyone should be happy. It's a little game we play with Citi/AA, which has been going on for many years. They know we are bending the rules, which they could easily prevent, as Chase and AMEX already have, but they choose not to do it.

A F-ing Men.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:45 am
Suspended

They know we are bending the rules, which they could easily prevent, as Chase and AMEX already have, but they choose not to do it.
As far as I'm concerned, I have permission from Citi to do this. They know it's going on, they could easily prevent it, but they don't do anything about it. It's like the legal term of attractive nuisance.

"Attractive Nuisance. A feature, especially a dangerous one, on a property that outsiders may be encouraged to abuse, perhaps to their detriment. For example, a trespasser may be tempted to jump off a bridge into a pond. Property owners generally have the responsibility to take reasonable measure to prevent attractive nuisances from being mistreated."

In this case, Citi is clearly the 'property owner', we are the children being tempted by Citi leaving the gate unlocked, and Citi is choosing not to do anything about it. When Citi doesn't want us to do this anymore, they can simply make the mailer/emailers genuinely 'non-transferable", and the game will be over without creating bad blood with long time members by canceling accounts, etc.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BA
When Citi doesn't want us to do this anymore, they can simply make the mailer/emailers genuinely 'non-transferable", and the game will be over without creating bad blood with long time members by canceling accounts, etc.
This is cool and all but it conveniently allows people here to keep, collectively, literally billions of miles they may not have been entitled to. I would love this to be the case too but I'm not sure Citi/AA will let that happen.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by wiivile
This is cool and all but it conveniently allows people here to keep, collectively, literally billions of miles they may not have been entitled to. I would love this to be the case too but I'm not sure Citi/AA will let that happen.
First Citi 100% is aware this is going on. When I call them the csr can see I have 5 open cards. As far as AA is concerned it is well documented that selling these miles is a key driver of profits.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Arrow

Sounds like you folks have this all sorted, so my work here is done. Updates on Twitter for those interested in following along.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wiivile
I suggest you reread my post at #2435 . Citi and AA have been "let(ting) that happen" for at least 10 years, probably longer. Sure, they could decide to change things up at any time. But if I'd listened to the warnings I read here over the years, DW and I would have missed out on over a Million miles each. Not just the miles in our accounts now, but the miles we've already used for FC Anytime TATL flights every year for the past 9 years. If they cancel our accounts tomorrow, and we forfeit our current miles, we are still way ahead of where we would have been if we been frightened off by those warnings here over the years. But I see no reason to worry about that happening anytime soon. Que sera, sera....
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:34 am

And Citi is happy, as they are meeting their marketing goals for new accounts ... They know we are bending the rules, which they could easily prevent, as Chase and AMEX already have, but they choose not to do it.
I would like to add to that: we all have very high credit scores compared to the average consumer. Citi has a constant need for new accounts with high scores to bump up the mean when they repackage credit card debt into collateralized debt obligations. Higher card average scores means lower risk meaning higher prices. All these accounts literally create value for Citi.

We're part of the ecosystem. We may think we're supersmart for gaming the system but we're just being allowed to so as to provide a function.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.