Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
....heard of AA taking adverse action for others reasons, but I haven't heard this specifically.
Not heard of AA closing a newly created account opened by someone whose previous account was closed by AA?
Global321 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
We've heard of AA taking adverse action for others reasons, but I haven't heard this specifically. Do you have a source or is this speculation?
Originally Posted by mia
Not heard of AA closing a newly created account opened by someone whose previous account was closed by AA?
Paraphrasing what mia said...

It is not speculation. Search this thread. There is story after story after story of AA closing the new account of someone who was previously terminated. When an account is terminated, the holder is also told they are banned from opening a new account.

Think about it logically; If they did not ban someone who scammed them from opening a new account, they would do it again, use the SUBs, sell the miles and repeat until that account was closed. Then repeat, repeat, repeat. I guess one could try and open a new account after being banned... I am sure the folks at AA CORPSEC get a bit of schadenfreude when someone tries it, as they zero out the miles and delete the account.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:13 am

Without an AA account, there is no way to get a baggage fee waiver, if one does not have oneworld/partner airline status, correct?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by michael_v
Without an AA account, there is no way to get a baggage fee waiver, if one does not have oneworld/partner airline status, correct?
Although somewhat off-topic, if you have emerald status (AA plat level) you get the following: (From the following link)

Extra Baggage Allowance*
  • For international/domestic routes using the “weight” system, members are allowed an extra 44 pounds (20 kg.) in addition to the ticketed baggage allowance.
  • For international/domestic routes using the “piece” system, members are allowed 1 additional bag.
* Benefit not available for BA “Hand Baggage Only/Basic” fares

Therefore, it appears that if you reach elite status on another OW airline, you should be able to get a bag accounted for.

So, back on topic, it appears that reopening a banned AA account to get baggage is not necessary. Accrue your miles to another OW member.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Global321
When an account is terminated, the holder is also told they are banned from opening a new account.
Yes, that makes sense. I'm not sure how they'd catch up to me, since my name is fairly common, and I have a new address in a new city. I'm not going to try it, since your advice about BA or Alaska is great. But I'd be interested in what metrics AA uses to hunt down us previously cancelled members.
Global321 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Yes, that makes sense. I'm not sure how they'd catch up to me, since my name is fairly common, and I have a new address in a new city. I'm not going to try it, since your advice about BA or Alaska is great. But I'd be interested in what metrics AA uses to hunt down us previously cancelled members.
Usually I would say first, last name and date of birth are enough to find duplicates.
Global321 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I’ve been shutdown, but opened a new AA account to link to my Hyatt. They haven’t caught me yet, but if I were to fly AA, I would def credit to my Alaska account
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:39 pm

What would bother me is if AA does buy/merge with Alaska at some point, and I've earned status and tons of miles with Alaska, AA would most likely shut down my account without a second thought. Does that sound right based on what we know?
rover4618 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
What would bother me is if AA does buy/merge with Alaska at some point, and I've earned status and tons of miles with Alaska, AA would most likely shut down my account without a second thought. Does that sound right based on what we know?
yes, I wouldn’t risk it. But the database integration should provide u with enough time to redeem your miles
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:55 pm

“Our system is having trouble”

Hey guys! Both my wife’s and my account have had their logins work through the shutdown period without any current AA cards as we haven’t banked with citi since 2017. I have also credited a few flights over time (most recently a few weeks back) to AA and have seen my balance increase. However - for weeks now - when checking my “wallet” online for award activity, it keeps saying “our system is having trouble”. Regardless of app, website, incognito, that is what comes up for both my and my wife’s account. Same goes if I punch in dates in that section and hit search.

i haven’t booked an award flight or hotel using miles nor have I checked that area since before the shutdown. I wanted to see what thoughts are on this. And what the best plan of action would be according to y’all in figuring out what’s going on or if it’s not worth doing anything and the fact that the miles are showing when logging in is good enough.

thanks in advance!
Old Feb 13, 2021, 4:13 pm
mia

I would call the Technical Support number: 800-222-2377
sdsearch and Global321 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by brosenberg0
Hey guys! Both my wife’s and my account have had their logins work through the shutdown period without any current AA cards as we haven’t banked with citi since 2017. I have also credited a few flights over time (most recently a few weeks back) to AA and have seen my balance increase. However - for weeks now - when checking my “wallet” online for award activity, it keeps saying “our system is having trouble”. Regardless of app, website, incognito, that is what comes up for both my and my wife’s account. Same goes if I punch in dates in that section and hit search.

i haven’t booked an award flight or hotel using miles nor have I checked that area since before the shutdown. I wanted to see what thoughts are on this. And what the best plan of action would be according to y’all in figuring out what’s going on or if it’s not worth doing anything and the fact that the miles are showing when logging in is good enough.

thanks in advance!
Why wait weeks?

If something persists into a second day, just pick up the phone and call.

AA does not shut down accounts because people call. Rather, if you call and have shut down, you will receive some relatively bland and meaningless explanation and be told to wait for a letter.

But, there's never a reason not to call.
sdsearch and Global321 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:00 pm

The poster may also try clearing cookies or a private / incognito browser session.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:16 pm
mia

Originally Posted by michael_v
The poster may also try clearing cookies or a private / incognito browser session.
I think that's been done:

Originally Posted by brosenberg0
...Regardless of app, website, incognito, ...!
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:43 pm

My bad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.