Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:10 pm

Any suggestions

Originally Posted by flightmedic
Wife and I both have accounts locked. Email to my wife shut down her account and a separate email identified a booked award flight that would be cancelled. 2 days later I received the same shut down email but I also have an award flight booked and I did not receive an email informing me that it was cancelled. I cant log into my account as it is gone. When I go onto AA.com and enter the AA record locator the award tickets are still there and listed as ticketed.

Figured the award flight was gone and I made a new booking, same flights, but revenue on an AA partner. Booked directly with the partner as I dont want to enrich AA if at all possible. The AA partner called me today as they see I have two reservations with the same itinerary. I told them I received a confusing email from AA that my award flight was cancelled. They told me the award flight is good, they have ticket numbers, and they gave me their record locator. The award flight (2 tickets) are $5k each if I had to buy them in business. The revenue tickets I bought in economy were cheap at $800 each. I now have to cancel one of these reservations.

Which would you cancel? I would hate to cancel the revenue tickets and find out closer to my travel date (June) that the award tickets are gone as getting last minute tickets will probably be very pricey. On the other hand I would hate to sit in economy for the 9,hour flight if I could still manage the business seats.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:50 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
NO. They are claiming that ALL APPLICATIONS HAD THIS LANGUAGE.
I do not see this in the quoted language, but let's say that you are correct and this is what AA means. Why is it important? How does it provide relief for the consumer?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
I am not going to bring up the transferrability issue until AA asserts that they were mailers not addressed to me.
A good tactic.
AA told the DOT that there is a 48-month restriction in Citi's terms and conditions. Send the DOT your Citi terms, which of course do NOT have 48 month language. You have just proven that AA's letter to the DOT contains false information.

Will it hold up in court? Is it 100% proof of AA's lying? I have no idea. But will it--at the very least--demonstrate to the DOT that something is amiss with that AA form letter response? That's a good first step...
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:01 am

If travel is in the next month or so, you may want to cancel both. If it's later, there is no guarantee the partner airline will still be operating.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:43 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gmt4
Its utterly insane that people don't believe wiping millions off the balance sheet wasn't a principal consideration by AA.
there is also the issue of the goodwill generated to most frequent travelers by making award availability easier because a small subset of people aren't grabbing " lots" of premium class awards,

as someone who has qualified for platinum Premier using belt in seat miles, I have always found premium class award availability on American much worse than Delta.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by stc
there is also the issue of the goodwill generated to most frequent travelers by making award availability easier because a small subset of people aren't grabbing " lots" of premium class awards,

as someone who has qualified for platinum Premier using belt in seat miles, I have always found premium class award availability on American much worse than Delta.
AA is often letting flights go out with empty premium class seats, so they could make those seats available if they wanted. I wouldn't bet on the account shutdowns resulting in more availability, although they may release some more seats for a short amount of time if they feel they must for PR reasons .
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:16 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by richarddd
AA is often letting flights go out with empty premium class seats, so they could make those seats available if they wanted. I wouldn't bet on the account shutdowns resulting in more availability, although they may release some more seats for a short amount of time if they feel they must for PR reasons .
While that is true, it doesn't help people like me. I am not in a position to book premium class class tickets on short notice. American is releasing some small number of premium class frequent-flier tickets months in advance. American is holding the rest to try to sell them. Some number of them have been snapped up the people who are gaming the system.

I for example have already bought a premium price ticket on another airline to New Zealand for July because there is nothing reasonable available on American with frequent flyer miles. I was about to buy yet another premium class ticket on a different airline for may for the same reason. Last summer I was able to find good availability to Europe on Delta months out but not American.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:33 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Moderator action

I am closing this thread temporarily because it has become repetitive, and because I think we all have more pressing issues to cope with for awhile. When there are new developments, please send a PM and I will reopen.
JonNYC, TWA884, cheltzel and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note to mods: can we reopen the ... thread?
Airlines are negotiating selling miles to banks again (eg Delta/amex) so i am curious if that will influence complaints and any possible legal action against AA...
Ironically my taxes are bailing out AA which stole 1+M miles from me personally...

Last edited by mia; Apr 24, 2020 at 9:14 pm Reason: Edited for context
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:02 pm

Does anyone have any update on the current status of this issue? Since the ... thread is closed and I don't have access to the Reddit thread, I have no clues to what is going on now. Thanks.

Last edited by mia; Apr 24, 2020 at 9:15 pm Reason: Edited for context
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Does anyone have any update on the current status of this issue? Since the ... thread is closed and I don't have access to the Reddit thread, I have no clues to what is going on now. Thanks.
DOT took quick action due to the number of complaints about airlines; DOT gave the airlines a chance to correct their mistake and refund people's money on canceled tickets.

Oh you mean about closed accounts? Naaa.... The number of complaints was relatively small and no prescriptive action was taken. (1% of complaints through Dec-Jan complaints, 4% of January and 11% of February.)

The fact DOT reacted with prescriptive action so quickly on the lack of processing refunds in Mar/Apr (told the airlines to fix it or they would take action) strongly indicates DOT will not be pursuing action against AA for their FF program.

Could it change? Theoretically, yes. Will it? Nope.
Given the current environment - and the fact airlines are fighting to survive - no way DOT takes this on. From the public perspective - some FF tried to defraud the airline. I am not saying that is what happened, but that is how it looks to the casual flyer/average American.

Last edited by mia; Apr 24, 2020 at 9:15 pm
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Could it change? Theoretically, yes. Will it? Nope.
Totally agree. I think AA may quietly settle the couple small claims suits they received and move on.

Did they completely misrepresent and lie about the facts? Yes. Will anything happen as a result? No.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:13 pm
mia

Moderator action

Thread reopened to see if, in fact, there are any new developments. Posts beginning at 3249 were moved from another thread. I have lightly edited some to make better sense in this thread, and few were removed because they were an off-topic discussion about reopening this thread..

Last edited by mia; Apr 24, 2020 at 9:19 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I was digging around Westlaw last night and found this gem!!! Petersen et al. v. US Airways et al.

For those who don't remember (this was before my time), FreeCause (now Rakuten) screwed up a promotion for US Airways (now AA) and Hawaiian (still HA) regarding data storage offered by EasyCGI back in 2011. The purchases were (largely) cancelled and the promotion (largely) dishonored. The following year, Randy (the founder of FT) and friends decided to sue all three parties (airline, portal, merchant) in Massachusetts court and based on the docket, they prevailed/settled the day before trial (as these things often do). After 4 long years of litigation! No costs were awarded by the court but I hope they got their attorney fees out of the settlement! I presume an NDA was in play. Does anyone have any insider info?

I don't know all the details, and certainly don't know the settlement - you're right, I can say with certainty that an NDA was in play - but I do know that ~200 million miles were "owed" to them before it all went to s***t. I think of the 26 listed on the suit, the amounts ranged from 2 million to 55 million per person. Yea, crazy!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:43 pm

American Airlines faces a class action lawsuit on coronavirus canceled flight refunds

https://www.kansas.com/news/business/aviation/article242242751.html

For all those whom said Airlines are immune from class action lawsuits stemming from their policies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.