Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Does anyone know for sure that AA realizes the 48 month restriction wasn't on the Citi Mailer Apps?
They know precisely what language was and wasn't present on every iteration of the mailers.
TWA884, wrp96 and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:31 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:31 pm
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
They know precisely what language was and wasn't present on every iteration of the mailers.
Jon, people are referring to AA customer relations email that state that this was gaming because
"particularly that bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus in the past 48 months. These restrictions are outlined in the Citi/AAdvantage card promotional bonus offer terms and conditions, as well as at the top of each application page."
In fact no such terms appear in any of the mailers or at the top of the application page used.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Then why are they lying in their DOT responses?
Tactical lies, sometimes issued in rapid succession, can be used to distract & confuse an opponent, as well as to delay the process.
It takes hardly any effort to lie. The opponent would then feel compelled to research and correct them, debate them, express outrage (and/or fake outrage). In the process the opponent might be distracted from pursuing the original offense (e.g. a massive theft).
It's a technique related to trolling.
Biggie Fries and worldtravels like this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:22 pm

[deleted]
cheaptom likes this.

Last edited by billybayswater; Jul 13, 2020 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:07 pm

No longer relevant.
cheaptom likes this.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:27 pm
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
If they do not "realize" that a statement is inaccurate, it is not a lie. Lie requires intent to deceive.
Ignorant or evil? It's got to be one or the other. OK, maybe it could be both.

My vote is for ignorance. There's this image that's been built up that CorpSec is all-knowing, they have a record of every time you went to the bathroom. Maybe that's just FUD. Why would all-knowing superior beings close the accounts of EXPs with four bonuses?

But of course, AA or their apologists will never, never admit that CorpSec has too much power and too little competence; and so AA will need to brazen it out and fight all challenges.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Mar 8, 2020 at 9:28 am
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:45 am

Thanks for the quick reply, makes it easier to confirm they’re happy to knowingly lie.

Referring to the iteration of the mailers are you referring to the mailers that came out starting in ~June 2019 with restrictive language? Before that none of them contained 24 month restrictions or a statement on the promo only being intended for the addressed person.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Ignorant or evil? My vote is for ignorance.
And therein lies a legal issue, that others have mentioned above. If AA acted out of ignorance, that is an entirely different matter than if they acted willfully and knew all along that they were lying. I swear, it seems like some AA executive needed to come up with a defense (i.e., a form-letter response to the DOT complaints) and he had some intern browse Reddit for an answer. "Citi only allows one card per 48 months. Put that in the letter." Then the exec goes online and finds a current Citi offer with the language in there, and assumes that all offers over the past few years had the identical language. Such assumption is ignorant, not evil. It's a half-hearted, vague, and ultimately untrue excuse, and I doubt they realize it.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by cheaptom
And therein lies a legal issue, that others have mentioned above. If AA acted out of ignorance, that is an entirely different matter than if they acted willfully and knew along that they were lying. I swear, it seems like some AA executive needed to come up with a defense (i.e., a form-letter response to the DOT complaints) and he had some intern browse Reddit for an answer. "Citi only allows one card per 48 months. Put that in the letter." Then the exec goes online and finds a current Citi offer with the language in there, and assumes that all offers over the past few years had the identical language. Such assumption is ignorant, not evil. It's a half-hearted, vague, and ultimately untrue excuse, and I doubt they realize it.
I agree. I think they are uninformed on the mailer bonus eligibility issue, but that serves a more important purpose: it demonstrates that they don’t actually know what they’re doing and that they’re terminating people purely as a cash grab. If they were actually investigating out of a desire to preserve the integrity of the AAdvantage program, they would know that the mailers lacked the language.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wiivile
I agree. I think they are uninformed on the mailer bonus eligibility issue, but that serves a more important purpose: it demonstrates that they don’t actually know what they’re doing and that they’re terminating people purely as a cash grab. If they were actually investigating out of a desire to preserve the integrity of the AAdvantage program, they would know that the mailers lacked the language.
But does AA have a leg to stand on if a person used a mailer that wasnt addressed to them even thou Citi didnt do its due diligence and issued a CC or is that only Citi's problem? I can see if a person received numerous mailers in THEIR name and applied and got the SUB, while its something else using a mailer that wasnt sent in my name
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by craz
But does AA have a leg to stand on if a person used a mailer that wasnt addressed to them even thou Citi didnt do its due diligence and issued a CC or is that only Citi's problem? I can see if a person received numerous mailers in THEIR name and applied and got the SUB, while its something else using a mailer that wasnt sent in my name
At this point I would guess AA has no idea who used what mailer addressed to who, hence the scorched earth approach and clueless claims about frequency restrictions.
Robl, MaxVO, asdfghjk and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or AA either does know or does not know, but has determined that it does not matter or change its legal position.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wiivile
At this point I would guess AA has no idea who used what mailer addressed to who, hence the scorched earth approach and clueless claims about frequency restrictions.
I guess if it ever gets to court the lawyers will be able to see the contract between AA & Citi and determine what they agreed to. Could be AA insisted on a limit to how often a SUB can be earned and Citi blew it. Wouldnt be the 1st tin=me a company badly messes up a Promo

Im not a liar(lawyer) so I have no idea if say Citi blew it if AA has the legal right to do what it has, AFAIK there isnt anything in AAs T&Cs to how many bonuses one can earn , but everyone who joined did agree by joining that the miles belong to AA and they can do as they please when they please

I just hope that those going after AA also go after Citi
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Citi issued 12 digit mailers that could only be used by the person they were addressed to, and Citi issued 9 digit mailers that could be used by anyone. That's a pretty clear indication that Citi approved of people using mailers that were not addressed to them. Was AA OK with Citi approving those applications and granting bonuses under those circumstances? Apparently not. Does it matter? I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.