Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by audifan27
https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...flyer-programs

While the U.S. Department of Transportation does not have rules governing airline frequent flyer programs, DOT has the authority to investigate unfair or deceptive practices in air transportation, including complaints from consumers regarding airlines’ frequent flyer programs. If you are unsatisfied with the way a frequent flyer program is administered, changes to a frequent flyer program’s terms and conditions, or the basic terms of the agreement, you can submit a complaint directly with the airline. If the airline is not able to resolve the matter to your satisfaction, you can also file a complaint with the Department of Transportation. Complaints and comments related to those perceived practices may be submitted to the Aviation Consumer Protection Division's on-line complaint form. Complaints are reviewed to determine whether an airline is in compliance with federal law enforced by the Department protecting the rights of air travel consumers. Complaints are also used to track trends or spot areas of concern that serve as the basis for rulemaking, legislation, and research. DOT’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings may pursue enforcement action against an airline that engages in an unfair and deceptive practice relating to a frequent flyer program.
And that is where the greatest risk is to churners.

If DOT does look at this issue and its root causes and determines that the entire churning scheme leads to poor consumer outcomes, it may well take action to reign in carriers and lateral the CC issuing side of this to the various federal and state bank regulators.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
And that is where the greatest risk is to churners.

If DOT does look at this issue and its root causes and determines that the entire churning scheme leads to poor consumer outcomes, it may well take action to reign in carriers and lateral the CC issuing side of this to the various federal and state bank regulators.
AFAIK, the DOT doesn’t have the authority to regulate credit cards. That said, who cares if the requirements get tightened? What good is churning cards if the airline can ignore application terms and wipe out accounts on a whim?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
I am telling you, as a fact, that DOT has asked AA for more information.
Feel free to post a screenshot of DOT letting you know they requested more information from AA.

If it exists, it would be most educational, as it has never happened before after a consumer complaint.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Feel free to post a screenshot of DOT letting you know they requested more information from AA.

If it exists, it would be most educational, as it has never happened before after a consumer complaint.

Their website says otherwise

DOT’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings may pursue enforcement action against an airline that engages in an unfair and deceptive practice relating to a frequent flyer program.
rover4618 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Feel free to post some evidence to the contrary.
This is from the DOT website:

DOT has the authority to investigate unfair or deceptive practices in air transportation, including complaints from consumers regarding airlines’ frequent flyer programs

This is extremely clear.
rover4618 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:42 pm

Their website says otherwise

DOT’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings may pursue enforcement action against an airline that engages in an unfair and deceptive practice relating to a frequent flyer program.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

DOT has the authority to investigate unfair or deceptive practices in air transportation, including complaints from consumers regarding airlines’ frequent flyer programs

This is extremely clear.
It says they may... Once again, it has never happened before.

DOT also says... If you are dissatisfied with the way a program is administered, changes which may take place, or the basic terms of the agreement, you should complain directly to the company. If such informal efforts to resolve the problem are unsuccessful, you may wish to consider legal action through the appropriate civil court.

Re-read the previous posts, especially the ones that are from the DOT website where they admit they have NEVER investigated a FF program from a consumer complaint. Thus, if it happened this time, it would helpful to see a screenshot as it would be a change in past practice.

If it exists, getting it picked up by a news agency - that AA is under DOT investigation for its FF program - would surely be a pretty big aviation news story.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

This is extremely clear.
That it has the authority does not mean it has or will exercise the authority.
Global321 and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
I cannot predict what the DOT will do. And, neither can you.

The post I was replying said "DOT is telling you... We will not investigate. " And that is completely false. On the contrary, DOT is telling you that they have the authority to investigate, and encourage you to send them complaints about FF programs if you feel that the airline is engaging in unfair and deceptive business practices.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

While admittedly involving a very different issue than what's involved in this thread, my consumer complaint against the Iberia Plus FFP for improperly collecting PFCs on zero-fare, zero-surcharge award tickets for domestic (U.S.) travel on AA was zealously pursued by the DOT, even after Iberia's initial response to the DOT was to defend the practice.

Iberia agrees to refund improperly-collected PFCs on certain redemption tickets.

Iberia subsequently proactively reached out to other, similarly-situated Iberia Plus members, and issued refunds to them, as well.

I'm not suggesting what, if anything, the DOT would do about AA-shutdown complaints, but at least in my case, DOT did follow up with Iberia after the latter initially defended an improper practice.
renila, mia, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
While admittedly involving a very different issue than what's involved in this thread, my consumer complaint against the Iberia Plus FFP for improperly collecting PFCs on zero-fare, zero-surcharge award tickets for domestic (U.S.) travel on AA was zealously pursued by the DOT, even after Iberia's initial response to the DOT was to defend the practice.

Iberia agrees to refund improperly-collected PFCs on certain redemption tickets.

Iberia subsequently proactively reached out to other, similarly-situated Iberia Plus members, and issued refunds to them, as well.

I'm not suggesting what, if anything, the DOT would do about AA-shutdown complaints, but at least in my case, DOT did follow up with Iberia after the latter initially defended an improper practice.

Thanks for posting! Good to have some facts. As you mention it is a very different situation, as it was not about the program but more about a fee charged on a ticket. (Clearly wrong in IB's case.) The challenge with AA is the shutdown argument is saying AA should not have done it, without being able to say, 'right here in the rules it says you can't do what you did'. AA is going to say we decided it was wrong and the rules say we get to decide what is right and wrong and by the rules we get to decide the punishment. A tall order.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:24 pm

You clearly aren't as privy to all "private" data points out there as you let on earlier, since these screenshots have been posted in private chats and on reddit multiple times.

TBF, there's absolutely no guarantee that they will actually do anything, but it is confirmed they requested more information from AA after AA issued boilerplate responses to multiple DOT complaints that were essentially identical to the initial shutdown emails they sent.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:56 am

Not only has it happened before that the DOT got involved (requesting information and much more) but several FTers have had long standing and very successful experiences with the DOT against airlines. I suggest everyone shutdown file with the DOT as they can be extremely helpful and have the authority to do so.

Last edited by mia; Feb 27, 2020 at 10:53 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by richarddd
That it has the authority does mean just that: it has the authority.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by billybayswater
You clearly aren't as privy to all "private" data points out there as you let on earlier, since these screenshots have been posted in private chats and on reddit multiple times.

TBF, there's absolutely no guarantee that they will actually do anything, but it is confirmed they requested more information from AA after AA issued boilerplate responses to multiple DOT complaints that were essentially identical to the initial shutdown emails they sent.
While I do have access to quite a bit, sure, I don't have access to everything.

Do tell us, why is the letter from DOT saying they are investigating AA's FF program such a big secret that it cannot be shared on FT?

Originally Posted by economyfly
Not only has it happened before that the DOT got involved (requesting information and much more) but several FTers have had long standing and very successful experiences with the DOT against airlines. I suggest everyone shutdown file with the DOT as they can be extremely helpful and have the authority to do so.
We are not talking about DOT and airlines. We are talking DOT and airline FF programs.

I have posted many factual items in the last few days, including DOT's admission they have NOT investigated FF programs. ...

No one, myself included, has said the DOT does not have the authority to investigate. They simply have not done so, by their own admission. (I am sure you are not including the canned response you get from DOT when you lodge a complaint that says they are investigating/looking into xyz.)

If you have a DP where DOT investigated a FF program as to closing accounts, following the rules of the FF program, administering the FF program, canceling accounts, or anything similar, please share. It would be educational.
Every time I have asked for a link or screenshot (e.g. DOT investigating a FF program itself)... crickets. So please share the links and educate us all.

Last edited by mia; Feb 27, 2020 at 10:56 am Reason: Remove rejoinder to personal commentary.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AFAIK, the DOT doesn’t have the authority to regulate credit cards. That said, who cares if the requirements get tightened? What good is churning cards if the airline can ignore application terms and wipe out accounts on a whim?
Please reread what I wrote. Of course, DOT doesn't have the authority to enforce against card issuers. But, it can lateral its findings and other materials, such as complaints themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.