Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
What I find interesting is that even if you have a Barclays AA card along with those Citi AA cards they still killed the account, making the Barclays AA card pointless as well.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
As far as what we might learn, who knows. The goal is to raise the cost of compliance for AA as high as possible and potentially force an error. State AGs do this and maybe one or two bite and demand AA do some real work to defend themselves. Flooding all channels with attacks at this stage achieves a lot of goals.
"Flooding all channels" and "I continue to believe that it is way too early to pursue legal action yet" (as you wrote above) seem inconsistent.

State AGs are preempted from acting with respect to miles earned or used for flying (maybe straight contract enforcement) by the express provisions of the ADA. Whether they can act on miles earned or to be used elsewhere is an open question, as has been discussed repeatedly. It would be interesting to see if any even try. How long would it take an AA lawyer to repeat the language about misrepresentation and fraud and then add a paragraph about preemption? Even if any state AGs start, how many would devote resources to this fight? It's worth a shot, but it seems a long shot.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Are people really going to devote "a couple of years to pursue this"?
Of the very limited datapoints in this thread, we have at least one person whose household losses (at AA's valuation of 1 cent/mile) would be over $60k. That's not including any expenses incurred by people who may have been stranded when their accounts were shutdown mid-trip. It's doubtful anyone did this, but if someone purchased last-minute international F/J tickets to get their family of 6-8 back home, you've easily passed the 6 figure mark. I'm not a litigious person, but that's a number most people would be willing to work for a couple years to recover.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:41 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:54 pm
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA
How is a small claims judge going to react to the Supreme Court being invoked? Methinks small claims courts are not well suited to a debate on the merits of whether or not NW v Ginsberg applies to this case.
mia and notquiteaff like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
Of the very limited datapoints in this thread, we have at least one person whose household losses (at AA's valuation of 1 cent/mile) would be over $60k. That's not including any expenses incurred by people who may have been stranded when their accounts were shutdown mid-trip. It's doubtful anyone did this, but if someone purchased last-minute international F/J tickets to get their family of 6-8 back home, you've easily passed the 6 figure mark. I'm not a litigious person, but that's a number most people would be willing to work for a couple years to recover.
For a sufficiently large number, agreed.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
I consider continued personalized solicitations for AAdvantage and/or Citi AA cards to be express written permission.
This has been tried many times. AA shuts those accounts down pretty quickly.

How is a small claims judge going to react to the Supreme Court being invoked? Methinks small claims courts are not well suited to a debate on the merits of whether or not NW v Ginsberg applies to this case.
Agreed. If AA invokes a SOTUS ruling, a local judge will likely act quickly. Case dismissed.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If AA tries to get the case moved to a different court you respond accordingly. If AA doesn't bring it up then you don't.

I would think that a small claims judge would be pretty impressed with a plaintiff who has actually taken the time to research this. It's not like you will be droning on for hours.

"Your honor, in NW vs Ginsberg, the court limited their ruling to cases where miles were exclusively earned through air travel. This case involves miles which were earned through credit card sign-ups. This case does not concern the fares, routes, or services of any air carrier. Therefore, the ADA does not apply. Thank you."

Last edited by VegasGambler; Feb 14, 2020 at 6:47 pm
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My losses are enough that waiting for the small claims limit in my state to increase in September is a no-brainer.
How on earth would a change in the law be retroactively applied? Isn't the statutory limit going to be the limit in effect at the time the alleged conduct took place, e.g., when your account was terminated (perhaps at shut down).

I also don't think that it matters what a small claims court judge thinks, says or does. AA is making a point here and need only remove the matter to federal court and move to dismiss (all stuff on some AA paralegal's hard drive). Once a bunch of these are removed, it's off to an MDL where they can all be disposed of at once.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
How on earth would a change in the law be retroactively applied? Isn't the statutory limit going to be the limit in effect at the time the alleged conduct took place, e.g., when your account was terminated (perhaps at shut down).
Nope.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not a statutory limit. It's a limit for that the particular court (not for the particular wrong that AA committed).
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:54 pm

I continue to believe that it is way too early to pursue legal action yet and that it is better to let the DOT complaint process conclude. We have confirmation DOT is not satisfied with AA's responses and that dozens of complaints have been filed thus far. So if you have been shutdown get on that! The guidance we have been given is to focus on how AA's action was "unfair and deceptive". Plenty of ways to approach this depending on the facts of your shutdown.
I haven’t been shut down yet, my account is still locked. Should I file a DOT complaint or hold off until the shut down?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:12 am

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:54 pm
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Wait for shutdown then e-mail AA people (not just the response e-mail given) demanding way information. Then when they refuse, file. That's my advice,.
Have you already filed?
If not, why. If yes, what will happen next and when? TIA
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait for shutdown then e-mail AA people (not just the response e-mail given) demanding way information. Then when they refuse, file. That's my advice,.
Why wait? It seems like locking your account is just as bad as closing your account. May as well get the ball rolling early...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.